Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Mon, 27 May 2002 23:22 Go to next message
I am thinking of buying an 18R-G, 5 speed alloy box and LSD off a family freind who had them in an RA40 coupe. He said $500 firm and the engine was rebuilt (rings, bearings and pistons) 4 months ago. It doesnt blow smoke and i know for a fact it wasnt flogged to death (he is upgrading to a 1G-GE). Is this a good price or should i try to go lower? Are the engines much quicker than an 18R-C? Also do they bolt straight in? Thanx for any help,
cheers,
chris.
  Send a private message to this user    
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Tue, 28 May 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Heh, i'll have it if you don't want it...

bolt straight in - go faster. not much wrong in that...

everything will fit because the engine was mage for it, it is the same as the 18RC but faster.

tim.

PS I mean it, if you don't buy it, I will. Give me a yell...
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Tue, 28 May 2002 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a great buy, and the 18rg is heaps better than the 18rc.

What kind of lsd is it? i may buy it if you don't want it.

Stew
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Tue, 28 May 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's a bargain. I bought my 18R-G without manifolds for $500 because it had been 'rebuilt'. Turned out 'rebuilt' meant slapping an 18R-C bottom end together with an 18R-G head, big cams, and lengthening the timing chain. Bottom end shat itself after 3 months of use. No No No

But yeah, definitely go for it.
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Tue, 28 May 2002 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, im going to go to the bank and see if i can get $500. If not i will post the guys phone number etc. and you guys can check it out
cheers
chris.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Wed, 29 May 2002 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

he he...I get first dip!!

tim
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Wed, 29 May 2002 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$500 !! Did you say LSD and Alloy Gearbox ??

The bellhouse to mate a R series block to alloy case W series is rare as the proverbial. That alone with the box is worth an easy $250 !

LSD.... Shit can I have it !! Smile

Dude that sounds lika a dead set bargain the engine alone is worth $500 all day anyday. It is is rebuilt $800 - $1000 is a fair price IMO
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Wed, 29 May 2002 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW Tim, If Chris doesn't get it I'll flip you for it Wink

Damn thats a deal ! I know a nice RA40 Shell it would fit perfectly in too !!
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Fri, 31 May 2002 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Nah.. fuck off!!!

My endless nights of trawling these lists are finally going to pay off!!!

anyways, you need something sexy like a RA28 to make it worthwhile, not an ugly '40!!!

tim
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Sat, 01 June 2002 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dont you dare knock the RA40 or im gunna knock you Smile nah truly i think the hatchback versions are a bit ugly but my coupe version looks trick
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Sat, 01 June 2002 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah dude, dont go too far. Lets just leave it at "Its better looking than the hatchback" Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod Nod
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Sun, 02 June 2002 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Yeah good call frank although, the 60 was never really meant to turn heads was it?? I mean it's good to the point where you can claim ownership to a rwd celica but it's only ever going to be a stopgap measure until you move UP to something more creditable (like a 77 liftback... ooh-yeah....)

happy crusin' y'all!!

Tim
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Sun, 02 June 2002 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The car you drive was never really designed to turn heads by itself...it was designed to be a clone of another popular car Smile

But enough bagging each others cars...they are all Toyotas, so they are all good.

As for moving up...if I'm going to move up...its going to be up in technology...not down. Smile
chris_RA40
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 18R-G, alloy 5 speed and diff???? Mon, 03 June 2002 22:51 Go to previous message
I bought it. Now alls i goto do is put it in, paint the car, new tyres, windscreen, uni-joints, engineers cert. and rego Sad BLUE SLIPS SUCK!
Cheers
chris

P.S. I got him to give it all to me for 450, cos i needed 50 bucks for fuel to get there Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Glenn kicking ass down phillip island
Next Topic:How to get an AE86 from QLD to SA
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 05:07:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040299892425537 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.