Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 09:07 Go to next message
as in servicing it before i install it into the car?

1991 4A-GE 'red top' (85000 orig kms)

im going to:

replace the belts (timing belt all accessory belts)
new plugs
new trd leads
clean throttle body
new rwd water pump

any other thoughts?

Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seals
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as in catch the fucking ball swim thru hoops seals?

cmon a little effort mannnnng!
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the seals aren't leaking, I wouldn't touch them with those low Kms on it. I would recondition the injectors before you install it and replace the fuel filters too though!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do the fuel rail at the same time!

oil change and new filter Razz
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might aswell clean out all the gunk in the oil sump?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If there are any leaks, then chnage the seals (like rocker cover)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im doing the oil and filter guys
seeing it doesnt have any in it now
LOL duh

the fuel filter has just been done recently
apparently the engine is A1 condition with no leaks and good compression.

SSS automotive actually drove the corolla in japan and then canibalised it for parts. and i got the sweet engine Very Happy

clg: the injectors being cleaned? you really think so?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the engine hasn't been driven in some while the residue left in the injectors can go crappy and block them up
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Made a huge difference to my 3SGE getting the injectors cleaned, ultrasonically it was like $40 each injector, that was with removal/replacement mind you.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Sun, 12 September 2004 22:43

Made a huge difference to my 3SGE getting the injectors cleaned, ultrasonically it was like $40 each injector, that was with removal/replacement mind you.

how long did that take?

and does anyone know if red tops run different injectors to bluetops?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got all 6 of mine done, cost $16.50 each including new o-rings, but I had to drop them off. Dropped them off lunch time and picked up mid-arvo.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 12 September 2004 22:51

I got all 6 of mine done, cost $16.50 each including new o-rings, but I had to drop them off. Dropped them off lunch time and picked up mid-arvo.

nice
anyone in sydney know where to get this done quickly?
im carless for the next week
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Sun, 12 September 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seals are still a good idea just for the fact that the engine is out of the car at the time
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a 4ag, i would recommend doing the front main, rear main and camshaft seals if the engine is out of the car. You will also need to grab the oil pump gasket too, but thats no biggie.

These are recommended as if the engine is old with low K's, its likely these seals are still the originals and likely to be cracked and leaky. Believe me its a PITA if you have to change them later!!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a side note.. I have never met an importer that hasnt said how he drove it round in japan and it drove like a dream Smiley =
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes if I could get to my injectors easily, I would have removed them. Doing most work on a MR2 is a pain in the butt, and usually expensive Crying or Very Sad Got new genuine seals too...

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 12:52]

Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id just change rear main seal
takes 2 minutes with the motor out but when it leaks takes ages to fix when the motors in the car

everything else in the way of seals just leave and if it leaks fix it later as it wont be to much hastle and most likely wont need doin anyway

and for it to run to full potential clean injectors/ throttle body, new spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and usual service crap
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front main not a hassle!?!?

i could understand cam seals, but surely not the front main!
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as easy as cam seals...

remove fan belt, timing cover, timing belt, balancer (2 seconds with a puller), timing gear, then pry out seal and replace

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 13 September 2004 14:19

on a side note.. I have never met an importer that hasnt said how he drove it round in japan and it drove like a dream Smiley =

my mechanic is a good friend of the engine importer. and he purchased it for me. Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Mon, 13 September 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flogbag wrote on Mon, 13 September 2004 23:51

as easy as cam seals...

remove fan belt, timing cover, timing belt, balancer (2 seconds with a puller), timing gear, then pry out seal and replace

ill discuss it with ben, we will probably do the whole shebang, bar taking off the head that is

Smile

thans guys, keep em coming.
rb20det
Regular

July 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thermostat
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Run a filter 'sock' on radiator top hose. My 'new' Jap engine poured lots of brackish sludge into my freshly cleaned radiator. These filter 'socks' are only about $12.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celia-Sue wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 13:53

Run a filter 'sock' on radiator top hose. My 'new' Jap engine poured lots of brackish sludge into my freshly cleaned radiator. These filter 'socks' are only about $12.

Good idea.... You remember that shit that was in my water pump when I got the 20V Garth Rolling Eyes
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do the following

get motor
put in car
start
thrash to limiter
buy me beer
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve-AE86 wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 14:16

do the following

get motor
put in car
start
thrash to limiter
buy me beer

Hahahaha.......

Anyways, Garth, while you are waiting for your car, you should be shopping for new stuff for it.... Like that anodised blue 'Turbo' exhaust tip and glowing blue windscreen washers that you said you wanted the other day. Very Happy
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget to check:
alternator bearings
idler pulley bearings (if you have an idler pulley)
a/c compressor seals

These are all much easier to fix when the engine is out.

Regards

Peter
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
82MKII wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 14:33

Don't forget to check:
alternator bearings
idler pulley bearings (if you have an idler pulley)
a/c compressor seals

These are all much easier to fix when the engine is out.

Regards

Peter

I don't see taking the alt being that big a deal, apart from the 'downtime' from having your car off the road to replace them down the track.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 14:01

Celia-Sue wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 13:53

Good idea.... You remember that shit that was in my water pump when I got the 20V Garth Rolling Eyes

were getting a RWD water pump and other cooling options
so i guess the engine is going to be cleaned up too.

not sure but thanks for heads up.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 14:22

Hahahaha.......

Anyways, Garth, while you are waiting for your car, you should be shopping for new stuff for it.... Like that anodised blue 'Turbo' exhaust tip and glowing blue windscreen washers that you said you wanted the other day. Very Happy

sharrtttupp carnt
u fucking riceboy!

you're the one with the cannon exhaust Wink Twisted Evil
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve-AE86 wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 14:16

do the following

get motor
put in car
start
thrash to limiter
buy me beer

haha, quiet you. fucking SA drunkards. Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 17:30

Hahahaha.......

sharrtttupp carnt
u fucking riceboy!

Lol.... Hey, at least mine came bent from the factory Laughing

ae86drift l0v35 73h RICE!!!

Any updates anyways?
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we have an injector cleaner at work throw them down and i will get them cleaned for free for you
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 1UZ looks like it already has a brand new cam belt on it, but the serpentine belt was shot. i was told the engine has less than 40thou on it, and internaly it looks it too.
because i've modded the sump i had a chance to clean all the goop out of it and replace the oil, sump gasket goo and oil filter.

i'm not even changing the plugs or leads yet, i just want to get it in and running.

mine's a 1990 engine.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 17:35

ae86drift wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 17:30

Hahahaha.......

sharrtttupp carnt
u fucking riceboy!

Lol.... Hey, at least mine came bent from the factory Laughing

ae86drift l0v35 73h RICE!!!

Any updates anyways?

yeah
i have my t3 manifold adapter in my hot little hands
nice too!

car should be ready for friday Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NIIIIICE Very Happy

Might have to take her for a drive on Friday night then Nod
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh fucking yeah!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NIIIIIIIICE!!! Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im bored.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:30

im bored.

Finished work yet? Shame you don't have your car.... If you catch my drift Very Happy Wink
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:32

ae86drift wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:30

im bored.

Finished work yet? Shame you don't have your car.... If you catch my drift Very Happy Wink

heh, yeah.

no im still here
burn those vcd's already you!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why? When are you picking them up?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sooN!

i wanna watch em again!!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah yeah...... Well, if you had changed your timing belt as is the 'done thing', you coulda picked them up already! Razz

I'll give 'em to yah on Friday.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:52

Yeah yeah...... Well, if you had changed your timing belt as is the 'done thing', you coulda picked them up already! Razz

I'll give 'em to yah on Friday.

quiet you
ive got a new engine now dont i?? Laughing
:D:D:D
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point......

And no more top-end rattles! YAY!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 23:55

Good point......

And no more top-end rattles! YAY!

exxxcellent.

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Buying Imported Engine - What would you do before installing it? Tue, 14 September 2004 14:05 Go to previous message
Anyways, have fun on the HELL DESK. Goodnight! Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Exhaust Question
Next Topic:2stroke in engine
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 06:39:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10065793991089 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.