Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 9" IRS housings?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 12:41 Go to next message
I was involved in a conversation about diffs the other day, and someone mentioned to me that there are 9" IRS housings available..apparently they make kits for like VT commodores etc?

Anyone know any more about this??

Blake
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have a V8Supertaxi budget?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope, i was told they charge about $1200 for a complete vt commodore setup..

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 13:42]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blah. WHEN will people stop picking on this dude just because he's got a Ford V8?

I was actually going to look into the same conversion when I got onto doing my Supra project, whenever that might be.. Anyway, the place that does 9" conversions for IRS Commodores is Diff Technics, 27 Production Ave. Kogarah NSW 2217 (02) 9587 9282 http://www.difftechnics.com.au/

Now for telling you that you have to make sure you tell me how it goes Razz
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will do Wink
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i rang these guyz long ago (mates of my bro in law) and they quoated me drive in drive out from 4 to 6 big ones thats 9" completly rebuit my choice of gears and pretty much the rest was Jag...i didnt have the dosh at the time (or now Sad )
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Wed, 15 September 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apologies. They are about half the price I had seen them at before.

And, no, I wasn't having a go.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 22:56]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slightly off topic, but anyone ever had a look at a V8 supertaxi on a hoist? Might not be the most advanced racecars in the world, but it is interesting looking at all the fabricated widgets, and thinking how some of them would look good under my car Very Happy
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know the company's name?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
99% are inhouse built, or Harrop does some stuff.

You just have to look at some of the things like the rear diff camber wedges to know how much these things cost !!!!!

Edit : Or keep an eye out in mags like Auto Action or Motorsport News for stuff that teams are selling. Still bloody expensive, but heaps cheaper

EG Bob Gill is selling a USED 9" diff assy complete (incl brakes and axles, but no centre for $6k !!!, and some Harrop 6 pot brake calipers (as new) for $3800 !!!!!

[Updated on: Thu, 16 September 2004 02:27]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 12:24

99% are inhouse built, or Harrop does some stuff.

You just have to look at some of the things like the rear diff camber wedges to know how much these things cost !!!!!

ta mick Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Edit : Or keep an eye out in mags like Auto Action or Motorsport News for stuff that teams are selling. Still bloody expensive, but heaps cheaper

EG Bob Gill is selling a USED 9" diff assy complete (incl brakes and axles, but no centre for $6k !!!, and some Harrop 6 pot brake calipers (as new) for $3800 !!!!!

These are the sorts of prices I was thinking.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 12:38

These are the sorts of prices I was thinking.

Shocked JESUS CHRIST!! I think ill be sticking to the MA70 rear end install...
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let's not confuse things here. The V8 Pooper cars run a solid rear axle. What Blake's after is a 9 inch IRS setup.

There is at least one local company making a billet aluminum centre housing for IRS commodores but I don't remember who, I saw it in a mag and checked it out to see the nice work done on it then bumped it out of memory due to my lack of interest in that market.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as said earlier.. diff technics in sydney do these.
TD42T
Regular

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go have a look at Harrops website.

Marty
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
surely they are cheaper than 6k Confused
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 14:20

Let's not confuse things here. The V8 Pooper cars run a solid rear axle.

Are you sure...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 21:49

Joshstix wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 14:20

Let's not confuse things here. The V8 Pooper cars run a solid rear axle.

Are you sure...

i thought they were l/a too Confused
Mx62
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you want a heavy IRS 9inch under the back of your car?

Minispool and a deecent set of gears would be good enough.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh crap, I think I'm getting my racecars confused here now Embarassed

Still, shows how much attention I actually give V8 supercars Very Happy

I was looking underneath one on a hoist one day, I thought it was a V8 supercar - must have been some other kind of race car. VX commodore, had all the V8 supercar hardware, and a fully fabricated IRS, along with a spool 9"...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8 Supercars definetly run a 9" live-axle setup with a full-spool.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes they do, I just went and looked it up...

Interestingly, the Ford cars are allowed 12" wide wheels, the Holdens 11". Yet the Holden cars are allowed bigger (370mm) brake rotors. Doncha just love rules?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 9" IRS housings? Thu, 16 September 2004 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 22:25

Interestingly, the Ford cars are allowed 12" wide wheels, the Holdens 11". Yet the Holden cars are allowed bigger (370mm) brake rotors. Doncha just love rules?

Sorry, you are wrong there.

Mechanically (except the engine) is pretty well the same except for choice of supplier/manufacturer of certain components.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/rules/2004 update/AVESCO_FordBAFalcon.pdf

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/rules/2004 update/AVESCO_HoldenVYCommodore.pdf
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Embarassed Embarassed

Oh dear. However, whilst the blurb may say that, it may (and I emphasise may) be what they are running, not what they are restricted to.

I'll check out the CAMS rules and see what they say, but very interesting.

"I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong"
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mx62 wrote on Thu, 16 September 2004 21:56

minispool for a f series toyota diff ay? You are sure these are available?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 15:46

Never know, there may be some weird ass 4WD diff that would go into it.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 19:27

V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 15:46

Never know, there may be some weird ass 4WD diff that would go into it.

I HIGHLY doubt it. Unless ford 7.5" diff centres fit in. Old fairlanes etc used a 7.5" from memory. But im not exactly gaining anything. I want a TOUGH lsd - its either the ma70 with powertrax, or the 9" if the price is not uber high like aformentioned..
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm dude, a Truetrac isn't exactly weak, I don't know anyone that's broken it, and there are plenty of other 4WD diffs floating around for F and G series diffs.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure you CAN get a minispool for an F diff, but that doesn't really do much to help the crownwheel&pinion or the pencil sized driveshafts that come standard in an MA61. If the official Toymods bogan decides to try any bogan-typical activities in his car once it's finished, I'd say he might well end up walking home sometime if he doesn't doing something about the diff Evil or Very Mad

About the V8 supercars thing, go look it up, just remember I'm not taking it personally or anything - I don't mind admitting that I got it wrong!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are 9" liveaxle without a doubt...with a detroit locker style centre (i believe)..
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*hands up who can see blake destroying a large chunk of stock ma61 bits*

Rolling Eyes

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 22:37

IM gonna try NOT to smash the stock lsd, as i have a sale for it...

Actually dont tell me, of course...i wont have enough torque to break anything Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2004 12:45]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe... Laughing

PS - dude, i wouldnt exactly be claiming 115rwkw in your sig just there... Rolling Eyes

No No No
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we all know its true, 6' turbos have WAY more torque!! \

BTW happy now?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2004 13:02]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol - you didnt have to delete it !!

one day people might realise that quantitative torque figures are one thing. spike loads, momentum and inertia are an entirely other thing
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 23:07

lol - you didnt have to delete it !!

one day people might realise that quantitative torque figures are one thing. spike loads, momentum and inertia are an entirely other thing

Rolling Eyes yeah maybe..highly unlikely.

Hell..a 1g would be mroe likely to break things than my v8 wouldnt it? Let alone the force of a 1jz..

[Updated on: Fri, 17 September 2004 13:17]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Fri, 17 September 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

well... he seems to be collecting enough spare bits and spare cars to deal with this scenario.
Laughing Laughing
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Sat, 18 September 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sat, 18 September 2004 00:22

well... he seems to be collecting enough spare bits and spare cars to deal with this scenario.
Laughing Laughing

lol yeah they day that I see blake throw something away......oh wait a second I'll be dead by then Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Sat, 18 September 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 17:46

Actually you can get pretty much any type of diff for an F series, thanks to the 4WD aftermarket. Yes I have seen spools available in the US, and also air-lockers.

I agree the F series with TrueTrac is very tough, I've had mine for about 12 months now and we all know it's copped plenty of abuse, and there's some very tough 7M-GTE MA61's in the US with much more power/torque than I have, and they use TrueTrac's.

Having said that, I've only been to the drags a couple of times with the TrueTrac and both times I was pretty gentle with it, and I've never engaged in burnouts or similar diff-destroying activities. You can kill any diff if you abuse it.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Sat, 18 September 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 18 September 2004 13:12

V8_MA61 wrote on Fri, 17 September 2004 17:46

Actually you can get pretty much any type of diff for an F series, thanks to the 4WD aftermarket. Yes I have seen spools available in the US, and also air-lockers.

I agree the F series with TrueTrac is very tough, I've had mine for about 12 months now and we all know it's copped plenty of abuse, and there's some very tough 7M-GTE MA61's in the US with much more power/torque than I have, and they use TrueTrac's.

Having said that, I've only been to the drags a couple of times with the TrueTrac and both times I was pretty gentle with it, and I've never engaged in burnouts or similar diff-destroying activities. You can kill any diff if you abuse it.

you mean like circuit racing? If you're managing to boil the fluid with the 2jz just with a hard time aronud the street, i really think there is no hope there for me..
And i dont particularly want to have a pump and cooler setup.

edit: my reason for concern is, the car will be taken out to QR for a hiding as often as i can afford. Other than that, cruises and events is all itll pretty much be used for. the "odd" day of driving to work it might see also.

[Updated on: Sat, 18 September 2004 03:25]

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 9" IRS housings? Sun, 19 September 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
be careful buying and irs 9inch diff!all the ones i have seen are noisey and drain plenty of power as most arnt made properly and the housings are not striaght etc. be very very very careful i have seen one that had to have thousands spent on it over and over again and still wasnt right.
mick
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: 9" IRS housings? Sun, 19 September 2004 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A company here, Snake Racing, advertise 9" IRS conversions for commodores, they might do ford conversions too. I am sure they can manufacture in any quantities ANY kind of conversion you wish, that is what they do. There is nothing they cannot manufacture in this feild.

Try

www.snakeracing.com maybe ".au" as well

As for tough internals you should try American "Strange" gear, they are THE shit!

Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can get an air locker that will fit in the ma70 center

ie. locked diff with the flick of a switch, otherwise open center, which is great for high powered cars when it rains...

all it requires is the center, a small air compressor (like used on air shocks) and a switch!
also contact diff technics for these

or if u like in get it through work as i deal with diff technics all the time
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dabbid wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 18:42

u can get an air locker that will fit in the ma70 center

ie. locked diff with the flick of a switch, otherwise open center, which is great for high powered cars when it rains...

all it requires is the center, a small air compressor (like used on air shocks) and a switch!
also contact diff technics for these

or if u like in get it through work as i deal with diff technics all the time

nah dont want an air locker. would rather an LSD or detroit locker.
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are thinking of IRS 9 inch then you obviously think you will have a shitload of power and will not be treating it gently.

IF that is the case you wouldnt want a air locker anyway, too many small moving parts to break.

Keep it as simple as possible if you want it to hold together under adverse conditions.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah well im sure i can say its going to cop a nice workout...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why are you shying away from an oil cooler?

Also, I will say that many 9" setups I've seen in cars have tended to be noisy - combination of many things including inferior parts, poor setup, etc.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Mon, 20 September 2004 22:18

Why are you shying away from an oil cooler?

Also, I will say that many 9" setups I've seen in cars have tended to be noisy - combination of many things including inferior parts, poor setup, etc.

oil cooler - too much cost, not interested in all the trouble of putting it in and having all the custom work done. Plus have you seen anywhere in an ma61 you could fit such a system? theres SFA room down there Wink
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: 9" IRS housings? Mon, 20 September 2004 20:04 Go to previous message
if ur oil gets over 120degC, GET A COOLER!

also, can get u a good price on the 9" irs if ya want...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help, Completely f**ked 4K
Next Topic:Cressida MX83 parking light replacement
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 05:05:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.061573028564453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.