Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gtr_gaga
Regular

May 2004
aw11 mr2? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:29 Go to next message
What are the aw11 mr2 like to drive in n/a and sc form? How do they go in a straight line and what are their handling characteristics like?

Do you think its safe unleashing a young driver in a s/c or even an n/a mr2 onto the streets?

How easy are they to spin because of a midhsip engine layout?

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: aw11 mr2? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you are talking young, you mean red p plater? In general terms, it just depends on how responsible they are... i mean sure they can be a HUGE handful if you push them to their limit, or put to much power down mid corner etc etc. These problems are only mutliplied by more power ie na/sc..........
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: aw11 mr2? Wed, 22 September 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
read this http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=45211&start=0&rid=674&S=4e697de72a14 b63bb7da5a1dc5fd4a73
thread towards the bottom for some info
gtr_gaga
Regular

May 2004
Re: aw11 mr2? Wed, 22 September 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay thanks for that. Im thinking of giving up my ae86 project due to huge expenses for such an old car and buying an aw11 n/a (i think the supercharged version is a bit much for me, 17 years old, in a light midmotor car)

how do the n/a versions go compared to say sr20de non turbo s13 silvias, and how do they handle compared?

thanks
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: aw11 mr2? Wed, 22 September 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
handle a shitload better, performance... probably similiar. It doesnt matter how old you are, just how you treat it. I was 18 with a 4aGTE sprinter hehe Smile
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: aw11 mr2? Fri, 24 September 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just drive responsibly and you'll be fine. I went from a TA23 with a 2T-GEU(not the fastest combo in the world, but certainly not slow) on my red P's, to a 3S-GE in a SW20 still on my Red P's. I gotta say I got scared in the test drive simply with the power(and a 3S-GE isn't exactly a powerhouse!). Also be aware that as soon as it starts raining you REALLY have to be sensible, MR2's dont give a lot in the rain, but it's like driving on rail tracks in the dry.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 mr2? Fri, 24 September 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2's not to bad in the wet. If i want it to slide, she'll slide, if I want her to grip she grips. Unless ya driving stupid or ya sus/tyres are gone then you shouldn't have a problem. She's snapped on me prob 2 or 3 times, all of which i've been doin stupid things!
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: aw11 mr2? Sat, 25 September 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sadly the stock SW20 suspension(early models) is pretty ordinary and handles rather poorly in the wet. I've not had any "moments" yet, but I've come pretty close.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: aw11 mr2? Sat, 25 September 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will deadset scare the tits off you when the back end flicks for what seems like the slightest of cornering sins in the wet.

dont think parts for the aw11 are going to be much easier then parts for the ae86.

im glad i didnt get my hands on an mr until id beedn driving for a while else id have wrapped it around something no doubt. without question the most fun car to drive ive ever driven. and that covers things that are much faster. its general feel and dynamics just make it fun. think of go-karting. now think of a gokart with a 4age and youve got an mr2. but seriosuly id consider something else over an aw just for the "i probaly dont want to die now" soemthing front-rear or FF is probaly a safer bet then the MR.

yeah and the rain will scare you if you get one. so take it easy Smile
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: aw11 mr2? Sat, 25 September 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Expect it to happen and your fine. As i said only time i've been cought out was when I was being stupid.

Quote:

it will deadset scare the tits off you when the back end flicks for what seems like the slightest of cornering sins in the wet.

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: aw11 mr2? Sun, 26 September 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clown wrote on Sat, 25 September 2004 22:59

Expect it to happen and your fine. As i said only time i've been cought out was when I was being stupid.

Quote:

yeah but when your not expecting it driving in the rain a week after getting the car... its suprising Smile
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: aw11 mr2? Mon, 27 September 2004 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing - get decent tires!, as long as you've got good rubber on them, the're fine.

When the tires start to go bald, or hard, that's when things get ugly in a hurry...
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: aw11 mr2? Tue, 28 September 2004 02:08 Go to previous message
Actually that's a very good point - when I bought mine, the rears were some crappy secondhand things which had probably been sitting in a warehouse (or out in the rain for all I know) for months. I had no grip and had to be very careful.

Just recently I've been noticing that I've got a great deal more grip than I used to, and I can't believe that it's purely due to my now-incredible MR2 driving skillz. Smile Maybe being fanged^H^H^H^H^H^H repeatedlydriven more often has worked the tyres so that they're more supple? (I dunno, can you bring rubber back after it's stiffened up by heating it?)

It's still somewhat twitchy in the wet, but part of that is the SC making the torque response discontinuous at low throttle (not a straight line like a N/A, not smooth curves like a turbo, it kicks in with a jolt that would upset any car's rear end)

[edit: damn board not allowing html : P ]

[Updated on: Tue, 28 September 2004 02:09]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Kluger wreck: anyone seen one?
Next Topic:Let me know what u think this is worth!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 13:15:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073709487915039 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.