Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
galston gorge experience Mon, 20 September 2004 08:57 Go to next message
been coming home through the galston gorge from tafe the last few weeks, felt pretty confident in knowing the road by now.
so i gave my tafe mate with a st185 a run back through...
the t-18 gave it a run for its money
keeping up on the straights and a little quicker through quite a few corners, had a close call though on one corner the tires sounded like they were ready to let go so i gave it a little more power and eased out of the corner just as a big 4wd was coming the other way, if she had of let go it could have been messy

so thats changed the way i drive for the next 6 months
just had to confess to somsone, go ahead and call me stupidbut i had FUN and was very impressed with the might t-18

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 08:58]

Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: galston gorge experience Mon, 20 September 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You survived, thats the main thing.

You live to fight another day.

Cheers

Steve

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 09:53]

olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg i love galston gorge
me and my mates used to meet up about once a week for a to race through there
heres a word of advice if u want to thrash through the gorge u gotta do it AT NIGHT ONLY prefferably after 12 so u can see the headlights coming around the corner alos go on a wednesday or tuesday they seem to be best nites
anyways i hope u can get the stain outa ur pants
oh and i know im a fruit loop of a driver but yeah wot can u do
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe hey Jesse.. yeah a good place to stack it the ol' gorge Very Happy

hey you know my mate James Kinene yeah?

anyway I reckon everyone has a stack or near-miss in them and it's always good to get it our of your system and live to tell Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'The Gorge' kicks ass...... But yeah, I will only go near that place very late at night due to the above reason of being able to see headlights.

Speaking of near misses, I almost had a shit-thy-pants moment on that other well known road in the same area when I came around a bend to be confronted by 3 cars having a little touge of their own.....
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i had the car in control and all, having a blast through there it was awesome, just a huge shock when a huge car is cm's from you in oppisite direction on one of the sketchiest corners..
sounds like a good idea going at around midnight, much safer!!
but fuk i was so happy with the car it was handling awesome
Quote:

RobST162
hey you know my mate James Kinene yeah?

yeah his a ole pal from primary school! said he was good friends with a toymodder the other day, i guess thats you!

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 06:49]

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and how do all you gorge guys take the hairpins... it really shits me having to drop to 1st for some of them, ive tried sliding round em but without a lsd, that only works in the wet!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah known james like forever from church, he's a total champion... lol, yeah 'cause we were there the other day and he was like "yeah I know this guy jesse with like a T-18 or something..."

and I was like, AH HA!

well being FWD with LSD I just plant it mate Very Happy My handbrake needs adjusting before I can use it properly though.

I really want to do one of those proper driving schools.. or some motor/kahana cross things to get my experience up
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i've done a few khancrosses it helps out a lot!
but i've found a night at castle hill showground to be just as educating Evil or Very Mad

and with the hairpins my handbrake is awesome (skyline R31 rear discs) but i've only ever used it coming down hill through the hairpins in the wet, worked well but i dont know about in the dry? worth a try!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 13:38

'The Gorge' kicks ass...... But yeah, I will only go near that place very late at night due to the above reason of being able to see headlights.

Speaking of near misses, I almost had a shit-thy-pants moment on that other well known road in the same area when I came around a bend to be confronted by 3 cars having a little touge of their own.....

the day i get my car.
its on.

Wink
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: galston gorge experience Tue, 21 September 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haven't been up that way in a long time! Gave it a good go in my old AE82, brake fade almost landed me in the boot of a VT Shocked But it was worth it, hearing the ST182 punter behind me shout "F**K IT!" into the CB. He got sick of the hairpins and started using the handbrake Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Wed, 22 September 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 22:10

AE86slut wrote on Tue, 21 September 2004 13:38

the day i get my car.
its on.

Wink

I say we go all out and drive to the gorge through Dural, come out at Hornsby and then continue up 'The Old Road'.....

As for the hairpins, coming down is good practise for pre-apex handbrake application. And yeah, some of them just have to be taken in 1st, but most can be taken in 2nd, but I tend to get bogged down a little..... Can't wait for that 4.5 or 4.7 ring gear!!!
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Wed, 22 September 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a plan Very Happy
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: galston gorge experience Wed, 22 September 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so you guys DO have hills roads over there... Razz

<little kids voice> Our Gorge road is BETTER than Your Gorge road

hahaha

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2004 11:26]

EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: galston gorge experience Wed, 22 September 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my experience was coming home from work going to my gf's and a truck got stuck round a bend, morons over size think they can go down there Evil or Very Mad
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Thu, 23 September 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Wed, 22 September 2004 21:22

so you guys DO have hills roads over there... Razz

<little kids voice> Our Gorge road is BETTER than Your Gorge road

hahaha

Yeah.... Shame I didn't get to take you for a fang. Dunno why I always seem to be the only one who wants to go for a drive! Rolling Eyes
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Thu, 23 September 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ima lways keen for a hoon!
but NONE of my friends seem to ever want to, or even have a car!
gotta meet a few more toymodders!
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: galston gorge experience Fri, 24 September 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all you sydney guys are too far apart from each others

adelaide is better coz we are all so close together, u can really feel the LOVE Very Happy
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Fri, 24 September 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just on those corners in a rwd i like to come in real wide hard on the brakes and heal toe so u keep the revs up then reef into the corner deep and put the foot down
but i dunno im really bad at explaining stuff like this cos i just do it and dont think to much about it
but remember not to deep on those hair pins cos the road at the apex is almost like a wall it like drops off so it helps if ur car aint too long Very Happy
so basically the stratagy for going down those hair pins is alot of swearing and shitting ur pants whilst at the same time having tremendous fun Laughing Laughing Laughing
basically all i can say is figure it out for ur self
wot ever u feel is comfortable is the best option for u but a front wheel drive is better for those corners cos of handbrake
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: galston gorge experience Fri, 24 September 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pfft front wheel drive is always inferior, no matter what corner

oh, and rwd cars have handbrakes too Razz
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: galston gorge experience Sun, 03 October 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes but when you have power driving through the wheels it not always great to pull the handbrake and lock the wheels. it may not be good for the longveity of the drive train. Also you don't need a hadbarke to slide it out just a smidgen of powaz.
fractoid
Regular

September 2004
Re: galston gorge experience Mon, 04 October 2004 13:24 Go to previous message
Pfft. For one, handbrake puts bugger all strain on the drivetrain if you step on the clutch first (and if you don't have a clutch you shouldn't be trying anything except possibly the odd traffic-light drag). Second, in a rear wheel drive you alter the brake balance through engine braking, and combined with weight shifting that can get you very nicely sideways, thank you. Smile

[edit: dammit, always forget something - you shouldn't require much 'powaz' at all to drift unless you're just commodoring it (aka 'power over'). A fair bit of my sideways is done with no throttle involved at all. Smile ]

[Updated on: Mon, 04 October 2004 13:25]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how SLOW can you GO?
Next Topic:A mad night time hoon!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 12:21:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12922787666321 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.