Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What would cause paint to go like this?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 06:53 Go to next message
Painted one of my valve covers today, which looks pretty good (IMO) in this pic:
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/1G/cover1.jpg
but there were a few areas where the paint went funny - after spraying on, the paint acted like there was solvent underneath. When it was dry, I rubbed the paint down & hit it again, but it didn't help much & happened again. :
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/1G/cover2.jpg
http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/1G/cover3.jpg
Sorry it's a bit hard to see.

Any ideas? This was engine enamel - I've never had any trouble before. I washed the cover with washing up liquid, then degreased, rinsed, washed again, degreased, rinsed, dried. I'm guessing degreaser or washing up liquid residue could do it, but that doesn't really explain it happeneing again after rubbing down.

Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cant use degreaser at all, its got silicon compound in it and so does washing liwuid. you need to rub it all back and use wax and grease remover. ENSURE no silicon in area at all otherwise it will fry up again and agin
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 17:03

you cant use degreaser at all, its got silicon compound in it and so does washing liwuid. you need to rub it all back and use wax and grease remover. ENSURE no silicon in area at all otherwise it will fry up again and agin

OOPS.

I'd always wondered about the 'remove all silicon first' warning on paints, and had absolutely no idea that degreaser or washing up liquid contained silicon in them.

This makes me look like a real idiot!
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They look good mate, the problem you describe could very well be from degreaser residue. I would recommend using a solvent usually called "wax and grease remover" to do the final cleaning prep before painting, that stuff will leave no residue that will effect the paint.

The other killer that can casue your paint to do that is if some sort of silicon based product (i.e. silicon spray lubes, vinyl revivers etc) has come into contact with it in the past, that stuff is really hard to remove entirely and will get funny effects in the paint like that too, but it's not likely to be a problem in the engine bay (as those sorts of products don't usually get in there).

Cheers.

EDIT: hehehe someone posted an answer while I was replying, oh well we both said the same sort of thing. Silicon is bad for surfaces that are getting painted mmmkay.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 07:10]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

^^^^^ what he said.

Get a pack of those cheap steel wool pads, with the pretty pink soap in them. Use warm/hot water and give it a damn good scrubbing. The soap in these pads doesn't contain silicon. Then, give it a good rinse when you're done. Should be okay then.

seeyuzz
river
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya Stefan, that sort of looks like humidity blisters! too rapid an application from spray cans can lower the temperature of the job quite quickly, and cause airborne water vapaour to be trapped within the paint. Forget using wax and grease remover, as it is quite useless, unless it is immediately and thoroughly dried off.
Sand the rocker cover back again to bare metal, degrease it, and then wash with Sugar Soap in hot water. Dry off with a hair dryer/heat gun, and paint again. If there is a chance of rain in the air(high humidity) wait for a drier day to paint.

regards Chuck.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 17:08

Hi,

^^^^^ what he said.

Get a pack of those cheap steel wool pads, with the pretty pink soap in them. Use warm/hot water and give it a damn good scrubbing. The soap in these pads doesn't contain silicon. Then, give it a good rinse when you're done. Should be okay then.

seeyuzz
river

LOL

Does that mean it's not neccessary to quite go back to bare metal again, so long as I use something to rub back & clean which doesn't contain silicon? I'm not au fait with the effects of silicon.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 17:12

Hiya Stefan, that sort of looks like humidity blisters! too rapid an application from spray cans can lower the temperature of the job quite quickly, and cause airborne water vapaour to be trapped within the paint. Forget using wax and grease remover, as it is quite useless, unless it is immediately and thoroughly dried off.
Sand the rocker cover back again to bare metal, degrease it, and then wash with Sugar Soap in hot water. Dry off with a hair dryer/heat gun, and paint again. If there is a chance of rain in the air(high humidity) wait for a drier day to paint.

regards Chuck.

Thanks, I'll keep the humidity part in mind.

When you say degrease - do you meant degreaser? Because as the others have said, it contains a silison compound... but I guess the sugar soap will take car of that.

(might using sugar soap make using degreaser before it redundant?)

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont use dgreaser at all, anything that is getting painted and needs cleaning should be done with wax and grease remover ONLY

even using thinners is no good as that will leave moisture on the metal and eventually will end up rusting.

believe me! iv just finished paint stripping my doors/boot and bonnett and etch primering them Very Happy bloody awsome!!! but at the same time it was stuffed. one of the doors and bonnet were rust proofed from factory and paint stripper doesnt take it off for some reason (i guess thats why they use it for rust proofing). anyway alot of sanding and time Confused it all came off

my closet mate is a painter and if he says dont do it then dont do it. and im just passing the knowledge on. also his dads been a beater for 40yrs so all the info i get is straight from the horses mouth

anyway next weekim gonna give them another etch coat and MIGHT rust proof them again and then prime and ready for paint
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or maybe dodgy spray can emamel?

and all of the above, too heavy coat (hard to fix from spray can though) and dirty surface.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokusan wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 21:15

or maybe dodgy spray can emamel?

and all of the above, too heavy coat (hard to fix from spray can though) and dirty surface.

I'm actually pretty impressed with this Motorguard (IIRC) engine enamel. It was a light coat, and a clean surface... just not clean of silicon. The areas which went funny are the ones that had the most degreaser - the rest of it came up pretty smick!

I've already sanded it back, will sugarsoap when I next have some free time to.
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Wed, 29 September 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

my closet mate is a painter

should tell your mate to come out of the closet. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 29 September 2004 16:47]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Thu, 30 September 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scrote wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 02:45

Quote:

my closet mate is a painter

should tell your mate to come out of the closet. Very Happy

if you mean get him on the forum, then that would be hard cause he can barely use a PC.

if your being sarcastic then............. who cares Rolling Eyes Very Happy

who out there has a rust proofed celica from the factory? went and saw a celica the other day (silver one) and the owner said it was rust prrofed from the factory. apparently it was an option back then.

now i didnt believe him until he popped the bonnet and there was a toyota fatory sticker on the bonnet stating that it had bee rust proofed at the factory.

are there many (if any) of these celicas out there?
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Thu, 30 September 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno if it is factory or not but mine has been rustproffed with red stuff everywhere looks like killrust kinda.
scrote
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Thu, 30 September 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just jokin dude.

i believe factory rust proofing should leave evedence of plastic plugs around spots on the car,this is where they used to inject crap into the space in panels to stop moisture etc. ask alchemist on these forums as his celica had this. hope this helps
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Fri, 01 October 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing I do with spraycans is drop them in a tin of warm water for a few minutes before using them - probably especially useful in Tassie Evil or Very Mad
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: What would cause paint to go like this? Fri, 01 October 2004 16:32 Go to previous message
never seen a celica with rustproofing, but I did see this:

http://images6.fotki.com/v99/photos/2/229297/1208732/p0003571-vi.jpg

more pics here: http://indigoid.fotki.com/cars/1979_rt132_corona_l b/

mate had it up for sale recently. it is pretty damn close to mint, and has the optional rustproofing. was a genuine one-owner grandma car. Despite it having lived practically its entire life at a beach house, it had nearly zero rust
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE or Racing Suspension?
Next Topic:playing with my bush..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 00:15:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14458894729614 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.