Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cramet
Occasional Poster

March 2004

how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Wed, 29 September 2004 10:35 Go to next message
as the heading say how do u go about making the door trims outa fiber glass for the sprinter
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Wed, 29 September 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you would have to make a mould of them first, unless you want to make completely new shapes.
taking a mould of a door trim may be a little tricky since the material may be soft in some places. if you had your heart set on this, then you would need to sacrifice the door trims and seal them up good with something, make them firmer and smooth.
then you need to take a mould off that, and use the mould to reproduce your shape.

but if you wanted to just make new ones (hell of a lot easier) then you should begin by building a new trim out of something like mdf for your plug, then take a mould off that.

if you cant lay it up yourself take it to a fibreglass shop, like a boat repairer, and pay them to do it.

not sure why youd want to do this, it will only add more weight, probably look crap, and get those pesky fibres in your skin ARGH!
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Wed, 29 September 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter

You dont.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Wed, 29 September 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 21:23

Quote:

how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter

You dont.

ditto

just REtrim old ones mate .. unless u want to spend many many hours doing something that will take many many hours to achieve !
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Wed, 29 September 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like4 my door trims, they are made of stainless steel, flat and with just the handle and winder on there Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 23:14

i like4 my door trims, they are made of stainless steel, flat and with just the handle and winder on there Wink

yeah and they make a great buffer for when your head smashes into them when riding in the car that has only one seat Rolling Eyes
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch: you read my mind, thats EXACTLY what I was gonna say Smile
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 15:03

yeah and they make a great buffer for when your head smashes into them when riding in the car that has only one seat Rolling Eyes

if your head manages to hit that part of the car, i think you're in a world of trouble no matter what Wink
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just cover them with glad wrap and fibreglass over that.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

title=Les wrote on Wed, 29 September 2004 22:55
just REtrim old ones mate .. unless u want to spend many many hours doing something that will take many many hours to achieve !

depending how you go about it as to how hard or long it may take to do. and after all that hard work it can be rather rewarding if you make something that you like. Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 18:35

MR 1GGTE wrote on Thu, 30 September 2004 15:03

if your head manages to hit that part of the car, i think you're in a world of trouble no matter what Wink

well if you are sitting on the floorpan, i.e. not in a seat then the door trim is at the perfect hieght for a head smash, dont get me wrong it was the funnest ride i have ever had in an 86 and also the scariest
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont bother with fiberglassing..waste money..after u glass it over..i am sure u want make it smooth..(if not u are mad)..u need to sand them or smoothen it with bodyfiller..which is heavy..

so objective is defeated..u wouldnt want any weight adding to your car...plus if u trim the edges..its gonna be pokey..

go the aluminium style..
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 17:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a pair of early JDM ones that were not in the total best condition. Some of the board had got wet at some time and was flimsy. I sent them to Ken at Skeeter because The Artist Formly know as Rollie originally wanted to purchase them to mold and make some FRP ones out of. So I "donated" them for a discounted pair of the final product.
However this was months ago and the project is on hold I guess, maybe even indefinately.... ughhh oh well
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Thu, 30 September 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have Carbon Fibre door trim's in the rally car,
nice and ricey, just use a flat piece and screw it onto the top and bottom of the door, and cut out holes for the window and door handle.

Ben.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J-blood make them. The weight loss that could be gained from getting them could be awesome, because those stock door are so heavy. I would get them if i could. But a roll cage would be necessary, i'd say.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evan wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 10:01

J-blood make them. The weight loss that could be gained from getting them could be awesome, because those stock door are so heavy. I would get them if i could. But a roll cage would be necessary, i'd say.

he was talking about door trims though, god knows what sort of oem door trim would weigh more than a fibreglass replica.
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It would depend....
If you want an exact replica of the door trim or...

If you make an outer replica as Satoshi says, you would need to spend a long time smoothing and shaping and using nickey to get it perfect, it could get pretty heavy...

Unless you had a mould which would also be heaps of hassle....

Whereas taking an inside mould, well, i havent pulled the door trims off my hachi yet so i dont know what they look like behind, but im sure it isnt the same as the front ( correct me if im wrong)

However, if it does have the same general shape, you could always just make a rough one up from the inside, then just shape it as you see fit from the front....

It is a lot of work though Confused

[Updated on: Fri, 01 October 2004 07:57]

cramet
Occasional Poster

March 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was more thinking about weight than looks
i wanted to use the woven stuff not the matted stuff more user friendly i think
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep the originals, they will be a shit load lighter than frp.

i wouldnt say that woven mat is any more user friendly than csm
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woven Roving?

That stuff is tougher than CSM not by much though, but doing just one layer will still be pretty flimsy... it is also slightly more difficult to use over curves and stuff seeing as it is all woven together and moves as one peice, whereas CSM just does what you tell it to once you have wetted it out with resin....

How were you thinking of doing it?
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw..whatever u do..never mix harderner with acetone..
if not u'll be in the headnews tomorrow.. Smile
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can we have some pics of the metal door trims???
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just want full fibreglassed doors!
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 20:16

Laughing Laughing Satoshi, at a previous fibreglass place where i used to work, a fellow worker spilt catalyst all over the floor, and because he had been told to clean up all spillages on the floor with acetone ( such as gelcoat, tooling and resin) he soaked a cloth with acetone and was walking over to it, about to put it on the ground..... he had about 6 people screaming at him and waving their arms at him etc... we found it funny later.. after we were outside... and he had no more acetone....
Although, catalyst left by itself on a cloth can also spontaniously combust....

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/photopost/data/500/1366416interior.jpg
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 20:21

Satoshi wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 20:16

Laughing Laughing Satoshi, at a previous fibreglass place where i used to work, a fellow worker spilt catalyst all over the floor, and because he had been told to clean up all spillages on the floor with acetone ( such as gelcoat, tooling and resin) he soaked a cloth with acetone and was walking over to it, about to put it on the ground..... he had about 6 people screaming at him and waving their arms at him etc... we found it funny later.. after we were outside... and he had no more acetone....
Although, catalyst left by itself on a cloth can also spontaniously combust....

hmm..that's funny..i found out from someone...and the worst thing is...the fiberglass salesperson didnt even warn me that!!!...hey Neko..do u own a red ae86?
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

And i most certainly do !! How did you know? She has no rego so she isnt going anywhere at the minute though! Shes a bit beat up at the minute but we are taking care of it Smile

Yeah fibreglass can be really dangerous to work with.... my learnings were also trial and error, with a bit of help though...

If you wanted to make a fibreglass replica of that flat metal panel, that would be heaps easy and heaps light.. maybe thats a better option?>
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
those metal door trims look awesome!
hows it work at the top of the trim where it curves to hook into the window section, it's black in the pic but i cant firgure out what it is
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats my car you freaks Wink

if you want more pics i have some..

please.... disregard the grandpa spec passanger seat trim
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Fri, 01 October 2004 21:02

And i most certainly do !! How did you know? She has no rego so she isnt going anywhere at the minute though! Shes a bit beat up at the minute but we are taking care of it Smile

Yeah fibreglass can be really dangerous to work with.... my learnings were also trial and error, with a bit of help though...

If you wanted to make a fibreglass replica of that flat metal panel, that would be heaps easy and heaps light.. maybe thats a better option?>

cause there's a red sprinter in mfx website.. Razz so i guessed its yours..bull's eye
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Yup, bullseye Laughing Laughing
Shes my baby Very Happy i cant wait till shes registered....
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so do u look like the girl in your avatar? Razz
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon, still using original JDM steering wheel?
What is the top "black" part just under the window made of (original or custom)

Would be keen to see pics of the carbon fibre job ae86trueno.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: how do u make fiber glass door trims for a sprinter Fri, 01 October 2004 23:34 Go to previous message
the black tops are original with the metal sheet tek screwed onto them.

no i dont use that wheel, everything in that interiour except the dash and trim has been removed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:body kit for MR2?
Next Topic:AE86 money and drifting
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 11:44:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071139335632324 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.