Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Insurance Thu, 10 October 2002 11:12 Go to next message
I was just wondering how many of you guys comprehensively insure your cars. Many of you have really nice sports Toyotas. Don't they cost you a packet every year in insurance alone???
More importantly I guess is, how many of you are in the under 25 bracket. I turn 19 in January and I'm paying $1100 a year for my AE92 (I admit I had a PARTLY at fault minor crash though).
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Insurance Thu, 10 October 2002 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am 18 and drive an AE92 Corolla SX insured for $8500... It costs me $1500 per year for full comp...
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Insurance Thu, 10 October 2002 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So in two years worth of premiums you have covered almost 30% of the cost of your car!

Do you think it is worth it......I guess you must since you do pay it. You'd be better off just having the money in a bank account that you don't touch (at the very least) unless you crash your car and you could go on from here when it comes to weighing up the cost vs probability of different outcomes for your car over time. Everyone will have a different view I guess.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Insurance Thu, 10 October 2002 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got a 1984 Toyota Supra. as of last year i paid $750 for full comp. insurance. Suncorp Metway.

I'm now on a rating one, but m unsure what i will pay. RACQ quoted me $1100.... i just thought i'd ask them while i was there.

I just added a metallic paint to my insurance list from the stock white paint, so it will be interesting to see if that changes anything.

Sound System will follow. will be real interesting then to see if they will insure me.

Easiest way is to let an Insurance Broker find you the cheapest quote, only takes them 5 mins.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Insurance Thu, 10 October 2002 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something I learnt (I used to work for the dodgyest of insurance companies) Get the car insured under your parents name and get yourself listed as a secondary driver. This way your parents being over the age of 25 and usually a rating one then it really drops the premium down. And as a listed driver on the full comp policy then you should also get a rating as well.

One thing you have to be careful with is that Insurance companies can ring up Vic roads (or what ever they are called in other states) and check who the vehicle is regested to. If it's the vehicle owner and insurance main driver are different this could cause some problems.

My first car was a Gemini and it was insured for $3000 and my first year full comp cost me $300.

Hope this helps you all cut the costs of insuring your car Smile
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Insurance Fri, 11 October 2002 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$800 a year, with NRMA under my dads name with me put down as the drive car is insured for $4,000
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Insurance Fri, 11 October 2002 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was insured with GIO. Now I'm with RACV but I've only got fire and theft on this one.
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: Insurance Sat, 12 October 2002 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woah, an old Supra at $750 full comp? How old are you SupraBOY? How's the performance on that? How much was your car? If its a better car than mine at cheaper insurance (fat chance!) I know what I'm gonna do!
I'm insured for $6900 including my four speaker Sony X-plod. I have an alarm which brought it down (allegedly). Insured in mum's name and listed as a driver (but the car's registered in my name). Rolla Boy, if you aren't insured ubder your parents' name, I'd recommend it 'cause you still build your insurance history despite not having your own account. But if you're happy paying $1500 a year, then go for it. It's definitely a good thing to have.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Insurance Sun, 13 October 2002 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not really happy paying $1500 per year but I'm not taking any risks...
I had an acco already and wrote off my last car thanks to a lady pulling a u-turn right infront of me... Out of shock, I jumped on the anchors and they locked up... I don't really remember anything at all after that... I had a look at the wreck four days later when I arrived home from Hospital and noticed that the steering wheel was turned so I must've tried to steer away but clipped the other car... If that was my fault, I would've been up for Her car, two parked cars and mine...
So that's why I go for full comp... Everyone says, just be careful and you'll be fine... How do you know when someone is gunna do somthing silly to fuck you up??? You don't...
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Insurance Sun, 13 October 2002 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your right, you don't know. So you only get third party property and do your best to cover your own losses.
mrsmart
Regular

October 2002
Re: Insurance Sun, 13 October 2002 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a load of this:
i am 19, and AAMI would do my late 1985 mx73 fully comprehensive for about 3200 annually. i bought it for 2500. how does that figure?
btw they did about 600 for 3rd party, so i'm going for that.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Insurance Sun, 13 October 2002 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well. i'm not fibbing. hehehe

The major reason why it seams so low is because i live in Queensland... as simple as that.

I'm 21 years old and on a rating 1. I guess there isn't any other way to explain it, i just live in qld and i know it's lots less than the southern states to insure cars.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Insurance Mon, 14 October 2002 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mx73 only costs 800 a year, thats with a 40% no claim as well
i have no idea y they quotesd u 3200
when i was 19, no claim of 20%, the cressida only (only!) cost 1000 for fully comp including 1500 worth of stereo

and getting your car insured under your parents name can be bad for them
if u crash/cause an accident, they lose their no claim bonus
costing them several thousand over the next few years!!!
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Insurance Mon, 14 October 2002 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm lucky, my dad is a rating one for life so it didn't effect him at all when I crashed my Gemini.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Insurance Mon, 14 October 2002 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm looking at buying a Z31 300ZX non turbo. The credit union says I have to get it comprehensively insured to be eligible for a loan. I had one stack last year. At a value of $6500, the NRMA wants $7000. Young and Cool want $4000 even though I haven't had an accident in the last 12 months. Many others won't even touch me. What's doing with these ridiculous quotes? Sure, it's a sports car, but completely stock with immobiliser, self arming etc, garaged at home, parked in the driveway at work, you'd think it'd be heaps cheaper.
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: Insurance Mon, 14 October 2002 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man, expensive quotes. Do you really think it's worth it? Plus, the last 12 months don't matter. Most insurers work over a five year period, so after five years of no crashines (fingers crossed) you should be fine. Shit expensive quotes though.
RA23_Sean
Regular

May 2002

Re: Insurance Mon, 14 October 2002 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but Young and Cool asked if I'd had an accident in the last 12 months. I'm 20, so 3 years driving experience, but this is the first time I've gone for comprehensive (having previously owned shitboxes worth under $2000.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Insurance Mon, 14 October 2002 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try going through Unique Cars insurance. they were the only ones prepared to insure me if i did my engine conversion. I've been through suncorp metway since i was 16 1/2 and i'm 22 next month and they didn't want to know about it.

I'm told that car alarms don't have any effect on your insurance costs. They don't care if you have one or not.

I know qld'ers have cheap insurance compred to the southern states, NSW, ACT, Vic, SA.

On an exaclub b'board they talk about insurance costing them $2000 for full comprehensive. I went in as asked my insurance broker how much it was for me and i think the cheapest quote was $450.

I feel for you southerners when it comes to insurance, but not when it comes to State of Origin.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Insurance Tue, 15 October 2002 01:31 Go to previous message
Damn you QLDers! Mad Laughing

One thing people should do if they want to own anything even slightly sporty or performance oriented, is stay well clear of mainstream insurance companies like NRMA. Let me compare two quotes i got yesterday on an S15 200SX.
Just Cars: 40% ncb (Rating 4 for all you other states Razz) $3,700 pery year.
NRMA: 50% ncb (Rating 5) $7,300 per year!!!
They're basically just telling you to fuck off and that they don't want your business!!

NRMA is probably one of the cheapest companies for 3PP however. I pay $350 per year through them for my Corolla.. In the past however, they wanted between $2,500 and $3,000 for comprehensive insurance on it! Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Flash Eyecandy
Next Topic:ijz with a missfire after gear change
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 07:23:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.028950929641724 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.