Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ..::auDio H3Lp::..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bliz
Regular

September 2002

icon5.gif  ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Mon, 14 October 2002 13:43 Go to next message
ok guys... i just bought a pioneer deck its a 45x4.

n i;m runnin it with no amp..just the deck it self.

i;m usin this 6'x9' speakers brand:ZEUS a generic brand of sony. its a 4way 300watt. i dunno
when i use a lot of bass on the speaker...the speakers..shakes..n have a lot of distortion.or some kind or rattle?......... why is it this?

pls explain.....

fanx guys..

"4a-fc killer in usin boat anchors"
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Mon, 14 October 2002 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It be rather simple.

Its either:

The speaker playing outside its intended frequency range

OR

Clipping

OR

Badly mounted speakers

DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Mon, 14 October 2002 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol... how much bass?

let me guess u turned it all the way up right?

it will distort

get a sub-woofer

Smile

then u can boof boof with the best of them (atho u might need an amp)

until then turn the bass and/or volume down

Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Mon, 14 October 2002 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bass driver's cone has probably seperated from its surround....

Are they rubber surrounds or foam? you may be able to fix it with a bit of glue.... probably better off just replacing them.

Buy better quality speakers next time. (I don't even like sony, let alone something they manufacture and don't want to put their name on)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Mon, 14 October 2002 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 things that suck: crap speakers and head unit amps Shocked Combine them and its amazing how bad something can sound Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Mon, 14 October 2002 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Pioneer deck held up pretty well driving my front 6" speakers. I was happy for a while...and then I got a sub and a "real" amp...the difference between just the 6" sounded god, so clear...and the sub just filled out the music really well...
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its just distortion geting an amp for the 6x9's would definetealy halp alot in giving more clarity

but as someone sugggested get a sub
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Things that make your speakers sound shithouse...

***This is probably your problem***

Speakers incorrectly mounted;
Should be screwed down to something secure with a strip of rubber between the speaker and whatever you're mounting it to.(Don't mount to something that will vibrate)

Speaker wire too small??

Power leads to your head-unit not big enough?
Pioneer head-units are notoroius for sucking the juice.
You'll need some chunky power leads to go to the hungry mutha.

Could be something else rattling... rubber strips again.

If that doesn't solve your problems it's the equipment.
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha...guys....fanx 4 all ur help n responses... yeh i was finkin of gettin a amp....but hell i got no money...unless some wanna get me a hot 1 n i pay 4 it>?....hahah

dammit...i should of ask u guys b4 i bought the freakin speakers........arrrgg......dammit

i fink that ur rite blacki..i did a prerty bad craftmanship wif the mountin...lol...like hangin pretti loose...but i dun that a prob..mayb a lil.....

n the speakers wire..a big enough i fink....i use the house amp wire.........

btw ne 1 from adelaide that i can keep in touch wif incase i need help?.......

fanx..gguys.....

"4a-fc killer in usin boat anchors"
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
opps.......i forgot........

how much are the amps this days...........for a not 2 expensive 1....keke.....

have to save money for studyin n shit...

btw for those pplz that has a amp....do u live ur amp on..

or manually switch it on...or mount a switch near da drivers side?.......

guys..u reakon ne1 can sponsor me....if do..it would b great;-)

okok fan l8ers~!~..again`

[Updated on: Tue, 15 October 2002 01:26]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seriously man... please use some better english.. it would be easier to understand.
agreed with all points made here. sounds like the mounting is your problem. also too often i see people whinging about the distorted bass their head-unit powered 6x9's get. Head units only supply around 10Wrms at MAX!! this is tiny compared to an external amp.. hence turning up the volume will distort/clip the head unit's amp, adn then adding bass boost at high volume will further clip the output from the head unit... esp if its a mid-low range pioneer (also known as clip-o-matic)
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You hook up the *remote power on* lead on the amp to the *remote* or *ant+* on your head-unit. That way your amp will turn on when you turn your head-unit on.

(** or similar)
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your speakers are a little loose that's your problem.
Get some rubber from your local factory outlet cost me about $2.
DO IT. You'll be suprised at the difference.

And what are you mounting it to? Plastic,steel...
or have you made up a MDF panel to mount to?
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fanx..again...omg..i didn;t expect u guys 2 respond that quick..lol

what was that blacki..how u mount the power on/..again....plz explain

and 2 u witlz fanx for the reply but what does "Head units only supply around 10Wrms at MAX!" mean...

fanx..again..

ne of u guys have MSN instead of waitin i talk to u 1on1

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second the note of speaking in English, much easier to explain in than 133t.

Basically go search on the net for the difference between peak power "45Wx4" and the WRMS power. From memory the Pioneer units are about 17.9 or something, they are easily the meatiest of the head units rated at 45W peak...
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second the note of speaking in English, much easier to explain in than 133t. frank what do u mean by that?......mmm....okies.

neways...lol yeh i did..still dun undertand that technical shit...lol...if u can gib me a simple answer?.......
it would be easier.........
bliz
Regular

September 2002

icon5.gif  Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alrite guys......heres another question thati have for you guys......

the question is...i have a 300 watt 4way 6x9 speakers....if i get a lower wattage of the amp....EG.:120 wat amp..cost low due to the price budget i have..

would it sound more better n more thump onto it?...compare to the the 6x9 now that i am runnin it by 45x4..so yeh...

reply greatly appreiated.....

JIM

4a-fc killer in usin boat anchors"

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youre cliping your amp. plain and simple. dont listen to this "your cone is loose", "the speaker is vibrating"... money is on clipping your amp. keep doing it and youll kill you head unit. the chaepo zues speakers will live through it, your headunit/amp will not.

lower the volume!! or buy better speakers and an amp to drive them.

ed
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps, if you buy a cheap low wattage amp and still try and run big noise through your larger speakers, youll just kill that amp too. just decide what you want, and buy a proper matching set of gear.

ed
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Tue, 15 October 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riteo...so what i do....go get a amp........what u mean i blow the amp n the deck.

so is this ZEUS a cheapo brand is it?.... its just a generic brand of sony.....is it still $hit?.......

so say i get a low amp as i say b4,,eg150 or 200w will it sound shit as it rattles n distort? or sound better wif no distortion?........

but i thought when the wire are hook up onto the amp thru the speakers...i thought that it would better even the speakers are lot more watts then the amp....wont it?......

fanx ed

nething else that pplz want to add?

JIM

4a-fc killer in usin boat anchors"

[Updated on: Wed, 16 October 2002 04:20]

Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Wed, 16 October 2002 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No offence but, is english your second language?
Please try to make an effort to make yourself easily understood.

You should have a antenna power lead or remote power lead coming out of your head-unit. You connect this power lead to the remote power lead on your amp. I cannot explain it much easier than that.

Your Pioneer head-unit will not have any problems with clipping if it has been manufactured in the past five years. However you will most likely experience distortion if it is not set up properly over volume setting 20.

Don't buy an amp until you've securely mounted your speakers.

And don't listen to anyone who tells you that "you won't experience any loss in performance if the only thing that holds your speakers in place is your speaker wire".

The Pioneer head-unit is a 45watt x 4channel 4ohm output

Your ZEUS speakers will run fine if they're impedence is 6 ohm or under and mounted properly.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Wed, 16 October 2002 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

2. Overloading the amplifier (clipping)

The term clipping describes a situation in which the signal peak is cut off, or clipped, when the amplifier is over-loaded.

The distortion to the amplifier output signal which occurs as a result of clipping is very high in energy, but is usually of very high frequency.

In some circumstances the distortion is inaudible, but is still capable of wreking a loudspeaker within a few seconds. As a basic rule, an amplifier with a higher output power will reach its clipping threshold later.

You are therefore less likely to damage a loudspeaker by clip-ping if you use a powerful amplifier.

There are many amplifiers which reduce the danger of clipping by special circuitry which produces what is sometimes termed "soft clipping".

However, the best protection against this destructive problem is an amplifier fitted with a clipping protection circuit, which switches off the speaker output immediately if clipping should occur.

Such an amplifier provides effective protection for the loudspeakers without affecting the quality of sound.

All ? amplifiers are fitted with a Protection circuit, which protects the speakers from clipping in this effective manner.

if the deck has clipping protection, maybe youre alright, but from the sounds of it, it doesnt. sure, check the mounting, any other vibrating structures, make sure the cone hasnt detached from the surround, but that stuff wont kill eqip. clipping will.

when you clip, your amp is essentially producing a straight DC current, not a wave form. if youre lucky, nothing will happen, but mostlikely, youll melt your speakers, and as a result, drop your resistance and fry your amp
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Wed, 16 October 2002 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i agree with what most ppl are saying check to make sure your speakers are relatively secure the tighter the better,

Here is what u are trying to do you have a 45watt head unit feeding your 6.x9s 45watts each, now they are rated at 300watts. So for them to work effectively they need to be given a shit load more power, make sense? Its like trying to drive a commonwhore with a 1litre 2 cylinder engine its just not gonna work properly.

So go get you self a good quality amp around 200-250 watt, you only need 2 channels( left and right ) so u might be able to save there i'd say your looking around 250-300$ for the amp add on 30-40 for all the wiring and fuses to hook it up properly. And for leaving it turned on, there should be a wire coming out of the head unit that is called remote amp or amp+ or something like that. on your amp you will have three plugs a Negative a positive and another positive, hook up the wire from your head unit to one of the positive plugs these may be labled differently but u get the idea. Then what happens is the amp will only turn on when the head unit is turned on, that way u dont have to worry about switches and stuff.

I have a 45x4 sony expload unit its about 2 or 3 years old now and it powers my 140wat 6.5" fine on its own but i have some 160wat 6x9s that go a bit distored over the volume setting 34, but the fronts keep up fine, ive got sound deadner in the front doors and all tht stuff, I've tryed using a mates 200wat amp to power the 6x9's and it sounds so much better u can really hear the difference in bass and clarity. but when running straight off the head unit it goes crappy i think its because the 6x9s are trying to suck to much power ie 160wats worth and they are just starving hence the distortion.

I know i have covered alot of what people have already said but i hope this clears some stuff up for you.

Now when people say speak english they mean spell stuff out in english like instead of typing fanx type thanks takes longer granted but its a lot easier to understand when reading it Smile

Cheers
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys guys..thankyou all for the help.i just don;t know what to say,.... i speechless..for that i now goin to speak proper english..hahah...hows that 4 u hunty? and ed? and blacki?

oh well, i guess that i have to save up for a amp now hah?

btw if i bought a amp more then 300watts...example more then 300watts in 1 channel.. will i blow the speakers? or all i have to do is turn it lower, and becareful that it doesn;t distort?.

plx....think..n reply.

thanks all again

JIM
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correct Ed. Clipping is a silent killer.

However, to straighten out this...
ed_ma61 wrote on Wed, 16 October 2002 20:05

when you clip, your amp is essentially producing a straight DC current, not a wave form. if youre lucky, nothing will happen, but mostlikely, youll melt your speakers, and as a result, drop your resistance and fry your amp

you still have a waveform clipping is when it flattens out at the top and bottom of the waveform.

DC on a speaker will not kill it unless your putting too much power through it.

Before you go out and get an amp, make sure the speakers sound good (no vibrations,etc.). Because you'll only be making your problems bigger.

When you put your new amp in just have the gain turned right down. Gradually turn it up but never have it a full.

Those speakers are rated a 300watts peak so they'll take 300watts peak, but you're not going to have your amp up full gain anyway.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2002 04:02]

bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh yep..the speakers are workin fine..i tried it wif my mini hifi system that i have in my house .,..sounds ok..but can;t much bass out of them but heaps of treble....

y is this...even when i try to pump more bass its starts to distort..is it bcoz more mini hifi is not producin enough power? Sad

fanx again..jim
Blacki
Regular

September 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know about the output ratings of your mini hi-fi system...

Most home stereos output 8ohm.
Your 6x9's will take 4ohms.

This means that the power output (watts) of your mini hi-fi, is effectively doubled. Because your speakers only take half the power to drive. That should give you an idea of how much power you're putting through your speakers.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blacki wrote on Thu, 17 October 2002 13:54

you still have a waveform clipping is when it flattens out at the top and bottom of the waveform.

yes, but in the extreeme case, when the waveform is so big, with >90% of the wave clipped outside the amps range, practically no wave exists inside the range, and all the flattened peaks just add up to two parrallel lines = dc current

and that typically overheats the coil in even the best of speakers, melts the insulation, you drop R and then suck the guts out of your amp.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and DONT run the car 4ohm speakers off your home 8ohm stereo, that is the quickest way to kill you stereo unit bar none!!

ed
bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: ..::auDio H3Lp::.. Thu, 17 October 2002 13:24 Go to previous message
well its ok i guess.. the mini HIFI system that i have is only 6olms. doesnt produce that much energy.
me goin for the amp soon...n what should i look 4?..

yeh speakers sounds fine...i just mounted them into the boot lol (inside that is) haah//mounted into a piece of wood..sounds better then b4..

neother suggestions on the amp?........

fans again guys..

JIM
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Timing Map & Fuel Map for the 20v 4age
Next Topic:4agZe into a Mazda 75 s3 capella? Anyone??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 05:38:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058259963989258 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.