Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Fri, 15 October 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.petrouska.com/how.ht4.gif

Figure 1.1. Approximate point of wave reflection in a horn bell.

-------
According to "The Cambridge Companion to Brass Instruments"

Whether the other end of the instrument terminates abruptly (as in a bugle) or terminates in a flaring bell (as in a trumpet), sound waves are reflected by the bell mouth or by the flare. The sound inside an instrument is much more intense than the sound produced by the instrument in the surrounding air. The bell of an instrument has to be carefully designed so that it reflects enough sound to allow standing waves to build up, yet allows enough sound to escape to be audible at an appropriate intensity to be useful in music.
-------
  Send a private message to this user    
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Fri, 15 October 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checkmate then. I've no idea what the diagram is doing.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Fri, 15 October 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more interesting chit chat going on over at PF for those interested Smile

http://pforums.company-hosting.com/forums/showthre ad.php?p=839236528&posted=1

[Updated on: Fri, 15 October 2004 04:00]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Fri, 15 October 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTSboy is a champ.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Fri, 15 October 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very annoying!
For some reason the Performance Forums site times out on me each time. I'm trying to get it from Malaysia though.
If you get a chance in one of the posts there, please mention that I can't pop in for a visit unfortunately.
It does this for a day or so at a time.

BTW, trumpet inlets aren't the way to go - Parallel is good. Wink
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Fri, 15 October 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oooohhh... i feel controversy in the air
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sat, 16 October 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also ed that toda 3sge is still in expermental stage the trd engine still has the injectors in the head and the only difference is that toda put a spacer with fuel rail and longer ram tubes for length
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sat, 16 October 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyway, now it's my turn to look for criticism Very Happy

I'm trying to work out a multi throttle intake for a fairly severe turbo 4AG. While I haven't finalised any dimensions yet, due to not quite deciding exactly what headwork/valves/cams I'm going to use, the basic plan was to have a reasonably long runner between the head and the throttles, which would naturally need to have a bend in it to actually fit under the bonnet.

Plenum
*(bellmouth)
Throttle
****************HEAD

Obviously much more nicely shaped than that Very Happy Anyway, can anyone see any glaring problems with this idea?

[Updated on: Sat, 16 October 2004 13:31]

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sat, 16 October 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - the runners sound like they'll be way too long.
Straight & short should be better. It doesn't matter is the engine is turboed or not, the Hemholtz thing works the same, as does the port velocity. The air still goes down the hole at the same speed, just with more pressure.

Best to use the info above to work out properly how long the runners should be so they work well.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sat, 16 October 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much what I was thinking - however I never said exactly how long the runners would be Evil or Very Mad Just that from what I've seen, most multi throttle setups people have made, especially the few that use them with turbos, seem to always have the throttles as close as possible to the head, and stuff all runner on the other side too. While these seemed to work well, I always kind of figured they must be selling themselves short of what they might be capable of. As for air velocity, I'm thinking that while the air pressure is higher on the outside, there is also an increase on the inside due to the restriction of the turbo, and you'd bury yourself in nubmers even beginning to try and work out what the difference might be at any one time..
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sun, 17 October 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

back to the 45mm port and throttle, mean intake velocity at 8500rpm is around 22m/sec - i figure thats fine. comments?
btw - how did you get the 22m/s figure?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sun, 17 October 2004 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that flow figure was based on average CFM

the more accurate "peak mean runner velocity" of 286ft/sec

was based on the mean peak velocity of the piston, the suface area of the piston, and the surface area of the port

cheers
ed
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sun, 17 October 2004 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh i get it -> that's based on an assumption that the engine gets the full ~500cc of air per second revolution?

ie air-speed = ((cylinder volume) * (rps / 2)) / throttle area

That's your inital method - the second one is as per just stated ???

So then how the crack did you come up with the runner length? I'm still scratching on this one...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sun, 17 October 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest - calculating length is a MAJOR pita

ive just started reworking my theory using a new engine analyser bit of software. and im getting slightly different numbers.

and be damned if i can crack 100hp/L (just) !!! No No No
100nm/L on the other hand was easy enough.

and for those interested, i had a look at the port orientations in the stock 2jzge head. its actually quite steep. unfortunately the port shape is modified at about 10mm from the head surface (brown looking in the pic) in order to correctly align with the horizontal manifold runners. if you ignore (read 'die grind') this section, the overall port orientation can be seen to follow the rod (which for the best part is sitting FLAT on the floor of the port):

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=7235

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=getfile&id=7236

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sun, 17 October 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 22:13

and be damned if i can crack 100hp/L (just) !!! No No No

*snicker*

You'll learn, Grasshopper.
Accept nothing less that 120hp/L. Wink
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Sun, 17 October 2004 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill...

just curious - what octane value do you input in EAPro ?? I was always under the impression that australian pump fuel was rated based on RON only, and was not averaged with the MON rating.

am i incorrect? is say, BP Ultimate 98octane actually (RON + MON)/2 = 98 ???

i seem to have a penchant for producing engine profiles with MEGA detonation!! im hoping its as simple as changing the fuel rating!

cheers
ed
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ITBs & Port X-Sectional Areas + Lengths : Your Thoughts.... Mon, 18 October 2004 02:40 Go to previous message
I use 97 to be on the safe side.
For the detonation index, under about 1.5 should be fine.
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:In tank fuel pump question.
Next Topic:unleaded filler neck in a '22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 03:17:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.067666053771973 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.