Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 12:22 Go to next message
ive just been rigging up a custom doover to mount my coil-on-plug packs in the valley between the cam covers.

however, im a little put off by how much purchase the metal sleeve inside the coilpack gets on the spark plug electrode. they only overlap by maybe 1mm or so.

more so, from what i can figure, the stock setup doesnt have much more than this Confused

i guess the spark has to jump the gap anyway but am a tiny bit concerned by how much surface area is available? (i was suprised that the plug electrode didnt actually engage the coil pack like a spark plug as it is - bizzare)

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny thing is, I was doing, and wondering, the exact same thing today! I basically figured it must be fine, as this is the way it is set up from the factory, with that little spring touching on the top of the plug providing the contact. I figure that because of the high voltage and minimal current involved, then this set up is probably fine - after all, normal plug leads have a resistance of K ohms, and I'm tipping the working impedance of the spring on the plug would be stuff all. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, you are correct shinny - AFAIK that is Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh gee. Look at the quality of the support I'm getting, would ya? Evil or Very Mad
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blow it out your 4A!
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bizzare...

ahh well, i wont worry too much about it then. i still dont *like* it, but im happy enough.

from what i can measure, i have 1mm less purchase than the stock setup. that leaves me with about 1mm remaining, plus the spring still touching just fine.

maybe ill try and get that extra 1mm back if it isnt too hard.

thanks y'all!!

cheers
ed

PS - witzl, joo is a dong that iz massif
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you not make it to screw onto the top on the plue after removing the screwed on tip?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, not really. it would be like trying to screw on a spark plug lead. doable, but a fuckin PITA.

im thinking of making little alloy 'crimp-on' caps to put over the top of the sparkplug electrode. make it just that little bit fatter and taller.

ed
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Coil on Plug - how much purchase on plug ??? Sun, 17 October 2004 23:22 Go to previous message
Something, a Puegeot I think had long plug extenders that screwed onto the plugs and had a fitting on top for a normal plug lead. maybe try magnecor they may have something.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sge into ke25
Next Topic:Do n/a 4age adjustable cam gears fit a 4agze?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 09:19:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004378080368042 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.