Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » What brand Tyres and why?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 06:26 Go to next message
Im on the market for some 15" tyres and id like peoples thoughts about what brands are better then others.

Please leave a short post with what you use/prefer and why, PLEASE?

Cheers

Steve

[Updated on: Sun, 17 October 2004 06:28]

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My personal preference is Bridgestone Potenza G3's. I had a set of 205/60R15 Potenza RE711's on my RA60, and the car had stupid amounts of grip. Only once the tyres had worn down (and I got them to last about 40k) could I get them to unstick, and they were very progressive.

They had oodles of grip in the wet and the dry.

The G3's are the model that has effectively replaced them, and by all accounts are just as good. They're what will be going on my car.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g3's nga

all the way
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems like g3's are popular. ill check em out.

Cheers

Steve
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/t reads/gIII.asp

Are these the ones you's are talking about.

They have the sizes i need too?

Cheers

Steve
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 15:02

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/t reads/gIII.asp
Are these the ones you's are talking about.

Yep, thats them.

FKN16V wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 15:02

They have the sizes i need too?

I don't follow, they're down the bottom...do they have the sizes you need Wink Laughing
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2..got them on both the celica and the mr2. cant fault them.. also nice and quiet when they loose traction Smile no more waking the neighbours Smile
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm going for GIII's 195/60's in a couple of weeks.i've heard so much good stuff about em, so i gotta have them Razz mates got the eagle gs-d2, he reckon's there real good too. i reckon u will be safe with either one.

good luck Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G3's also

cant beat the best tyre for the money ever, the good old Fm901
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I don't follow, they're down the bottom...do they have the sizes you need Wink Laughing

yes thats what i said, They have the sizes i need

Cheers

Steve
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 19:34

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D2..got them on both the celica and the mr2. cant fault them.. also nice and quiet when they loose traction Smile no more waking the neighbours Smile

My Eagle GS-D2's just clocked over 60,000km (on the front), and they've juuuuuusst run into the tread depth markers. Pretty good going, considering how hard I drive it 'round most corners!!

They're not particularly sticky, but then I've gotten used to all kinds of expensive rubber at work, like Potenza S-03s and Pirelli P-Zero's. So that may have skewed my view of what's sticky somewhat!!

Basically though, you get what you pay for dude, until you break past around $250 per tyre, when you often pay for the brand as much as the rubber.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 19:58

My Eagle GS-D2's just clocked over 60,000km (on the front), and they've juuuuuusst run into the tread depth markers. Pretty good going, considering how hard I drive it 'round most corners!!

60,000km !!!!! how on earth does anyone get that out of these tyres.

none of my sets have lasted more then 15,000km, no burnouts, no dodgy wheel alignment, no sideways stupidity. and my mate got 40k out of his doing all of the above ARGH. i must order them in soft compound. on the plus side my tyre guys rubs his hands in glee when i pull up.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Sun, 17 October 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 21:09

none of my sets have lasted more then 15,000km, no burnouts, no dodgy wheel alignment, no sideways stupidity. and my mate got 40k out of his doing all of the above ARGH. i must order them in soft compound. on the plus side my tyre guys rubs his hands in glee when i pull up.

If your car is 4wd(Im guessing by whats in your avatar-or front wheel drive for that matter) you should not expect to get as high kays from the same tyres as they would on a rear driver. As the fronts are trying to turn AND propel the car. This would inevitably wear out the fronts quicker (and then after rotating them, the rears as well) Plus suspension softness and a whole other amount of settings can change the wear rate.

When I used to drive an old ('88) magna the front sway bar was broken and the fronts lasted about half as long as the rears. plus it handled like the piece of shit it was.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FKN16V wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 17:51

yes thats what i said, They have the sizes i need

Haha, I was at work and needed something to liven it up. You put the question mark on there and I got confused Smile

I miss my RE711's, the Firestone SZ50's on the back just don't have the bite. They are a bit old, and could do with some more tread, but just showed how much the RE711's kicked ass.
big JON
Regular

September 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pick up my new tyres tomorrow, theyre yokahamas (spelling?), i dont know any more details, i just went into the tyre place and told the guy to give me something sticky...thats what he recommended. Ill let you know how they go.

Jon
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federals all the way baby 80,000km's guarunteed Wink

Hard enough to beat someone to death with Laughing

Oh yeah forgot to add you might as well be driving on ice Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 04:38]

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Sun, 17 October 2004 21:09

Yup. More like 65,000km now, although they probably went illegal just before 60,000. Must admit though - I could tell they'd been on the shelf for a fair while hardening up - there were hairline cracks in the tread-block edges when they went on!!
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just bought Toyo 195/50/15 TPG for $110 each. grip well in the dry haven't test in the rain yet, very smooth and quiet much better than the 205 bridgestone I had before.
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have got brand new 205/55/15 's on my little
mazda mx3 which I hurl through its paces, I battle
to get it sideways even when I try. They smoke up
just lovely, but..... When they warm up, I find the
sidewalls get tooooooo soft and get too much side
movement on them, it almost feels like the whole
rear end of the car is coming loose. Quite a weird
feeling, I guess its just a matter of getting used
to them. My favourite tyre was Bridgestones FS/332.
I am not sure if they are made anymore. They were
very similar to the eager's. Grippy as all hell,
and never had sideways movement.....

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 07:18]

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
since i'm a tightarse at the moment saving for a new engine i just had some sava's put on the front to replace the dodgy retreads that the previous owner had on. Rolling Eyes

so far i can't complain. after going through the old pac my mate had a feel of them and they were surprosingly sticky... not bad for $80 each as run arounds
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: What brand Tyres and why? Mon, 18 October 2004 22:30 Go to previous message
Yokohama

like the G3's also
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how many cars do you have in your backyard?
Next Topic:88 Rolla with 4AGE Versus 89 St162
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 04:32:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.046212911605835 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.