Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » TA23 Body Q...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 04:36 Go to next message
Err - I've got a few weight saving features that have unexpectedly (well actually I was expecting them) come with the TA23 shell that I purchased. What are ppls advice in this regard, the chassis rail looks farked on both the passenger and drivers side just near where they meet the rear-wheel arch.

Aside from this bit of structural rust though, the car isn't too bad (bits of bad rust near front and rear windscreens needs to be cut out etc). Should I rebuild these chassis rails or just look for a new shell? Other problem is that I'm guessing this car has been in some kind of accident as there is this wierd warpage pattern on the passenger side footwell. See the accompanying photos (don't pay attention to shoddy colour balance etc...it was night and lighting was limited Smile )

First the passenger side chassis rail rust
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/TA23/TA23_chassis_P.jpg

Secondly the drivers side (check out that farken huge hole)
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/TA23/TA23_chassis_D.jpg

And lastly the wierd warpage (or what seems to be warpage) of the passenger side footwell (not sure if the drivers side is the same, haven't had a look)
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/TA23/TA23_footw_P.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dude, umm TA23 Celica's are built using the Unibody construction method. They have very short subframe rails at the front to support the engine and suspension towers(inner guards). They also have stumpy rails at the rear, to locate the rear suspension components. What you have in your pics, are known as rocker panels or sill panels. You can buy these in sections, and replace them. Over 18 months ago I posted the address of a guy in QLD that will supply all types of rust repair panels. The warpage in the floor is typical of a car that has been involved in a shunt! NO 1 thing I suggest you do, is grab a tape measure, and check the whole body for square.

regards Chuck.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome - thanks a billion...I'm a bit of a reject when it comes to stuff that isn't an engine Smile

Will check the car for squareness - I guess it'll have to be pulled straight if it's out (I know of a few places that do this)...i'm guessing it won't ever be as strong as it was though. I know that the car has been in a front ender, but it didn't actually look so bad - I doubt the car is out by much but that warpage looks pretty horrible?

I'll look for that address off the guy (was there a ph # as well?) to try and get replacement ones. When you say unibody construction is that similar to monocoque design? No real extensive tower-tower sub/space frame?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig Vayne Sheetmetal Fabrications
Phone: (07) 4122 2326

Got it - seems this topic comes up every now and then Sad my bad!
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Tue, 19 October 2004 18:02

Hi Dude, umm TA23 Celica's are built using the Unibody construction method. They have very short subframe rails at the front to support the engine and suspension towers(inner guards). They also have stumpy rails at the rear, to locate the rear suspension components. What you have in your pics, are known as rocker panels or sill panels. You can buy these in sections, and replace them. Over 18 months ago I posted the address of a guy in QLD that will supply all types of rust repair panels. The warpage in the floor is typical of a car that has been involved in a shunt! NO 1 thing I suggest you do, is grab a tape measure, and check the whole body for square.

regards Chuck.

do you know if the guy does TA22 sections aswell?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by using the search function (as I should have earlier) you will discover that he fabricates them from example - so yes - if you can get a TA22 sill panel to him (even if it's rooted) he can probably fabb one up.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA23 Body Q... Tue, 19 October 2004 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have replace both of my rocker panels and im just curious as to whether ur out sides look bad or not. ive put a link to a sample of how bad mine was.we were half way through fixin it wen i took the photo. bare in mind that we built these sections in our back yard with a hammer and a chunk of wood.

http://img100.exs.cx/img100/4494/103_0336.jpg
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TA23 Body Q... Wed, 20 October 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the outsides look a little bit farked - will probably replace them etc as I get further stuck into it!
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TA23 Body Q... Wed, 20 October 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rippling in the floor is just the sound deadning material.
The steel under it will be fine.

As for the hole in the passenger side floor, that will lead into the sill panel.
Have you taken the guards off?
Odds are there is lots more rust at the bottom of the FR guard around where it meets the sill and in the sill itself Sad
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: TA23 Body Q... Wed, 20 October 2004 11:23 Go to previous message
That ain't sound deadening material - that's the bare stuff...already got rid of that dead weight! (although I will be adding some back in, although limited amounts)

Still working on all the panels and stuff, and got a bit distracted trying to work out this 3S/5S hybrid stuff while I was at it Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta22 seat belts...
Next Topic:where can i grab a set of 20 valve extractors from??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 04:57:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.097071170806885 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.