Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 07:35 Go to next message
title long enough for ya?

sorry... anyway with Andy's Supra it has a coolant leak but I can't freaking find it for the life of me, SO, I know on mum's suby where there has been a tiny leak there is quite a buildup of a green deposit.

Is it possible to have an additive that will do this an aid me in me search without endangering anything inside?

thanks guys
  Send a private message to this user    
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a pressure test, if it's got an external leak it'll show up *very* quickly, if not chances are it's probably internal (BHG).

I wouldn't mix *anything* with the coolant personally, but there may be a die you could add that will show up any external leaks.

[Updated on: Fri, 22 October 2004 07:41]

clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have a snap on pressure tester thats "cough" for sale if you wanted to come over to use or borrow or buy to check it.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greenie! yes please very interested can I give you a call pleease... or me you.. my number is 0412 184 470

was hoping to sus it out tonight

Stenno.. lovin' the Bilstein Coilovers Very Happy
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To answer the question, yes, there is. I used it once in my old Commodore.. Had it blow a hole in the water pump and didn't really have the means/dollars to do it at the time.

Can't remember the name, think I got it from Kmart though. It was this disgustingly thick, green/brown stuff. About 250-500ml.. Seemed to work alright, had to flush the system afterwards though obviously. Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm don't really want to flush out the ol 7MGTE right yet....

I think a pressure test seems the best way to go - if I can get my hands on a tester
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chemiweld?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in a 7M! hey this 7M is a good one ok... Very Happy

I am sure it can be fixed as I think it is external.

I damm sure hope it is
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey rob whats wrong with chemiweld Rolling Eyes
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing

nothing

if you own a SIGMA
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
usually if your concentration of coolant is high enough (around 50/50) you will clearly see a green buildup around the ends of hoses, around water pump gasket, or even the radiator itself.

also if its an external leak you will be able to smell the coolant easily when you stop the car after a drive.

I also have a pressure tester, but dont get home from work till after 10 Sad
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't use chemiweld or radiator stop leak stuff on a decent engine that you want to keep.
The chemiweld will leave deposits on your radiator and in the water galleries of your engine making cooling performance worse.

If you do use chemiweld as a quick fix and then replace your radiator flush the engine with some decent alkaline cooling system flush or take the car to a radiator shop for a reverse flush.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put some pepper in there. It will find the leak and block it. Apparently Rolling Eyes
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about "water", unless you want something that will show up days or weeks later, just look at it while it's still wet.
i really don't know why you'd want something else spot a leak.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Fri, 22 October 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welll water tends to evaporate on small leaks, and since I think it is near the turbo everything gets way to hot to inspect and diagnose properly
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Sat, 23 October 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um...u say u want dye.....why not use food dye...as humans consume it i dont see a problem with puting it in a motor as it has exactly the same properties as water...

Adam
crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Sun, 24 October 2004 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive used the "pepper" when i had a pinhole leak in a radiator fin...worked a charm
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Mon, 25 October 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mean like normal Saxa pepper from coles??/
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Mon, 25 October 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bars stop leak works
it's like pepper i think it's made from walnut shells ????????
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Mon, 25 October 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it bush-mechanic style - warm engine up with radiator cap off, once up to temp make sure cooling system is full, crack and egg or two into the top of the radiator and quickly put the cap on - egg will cook inside engine and where it leaks you'll get some ozzage - identified by the colour (white-ish brown egg white) and smell (of revolting radiator water added to overcooked egg)

after doing this your freinds will think you are a freak and your car will still stink after months of attempting to flush the system clean.

Laughing
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: Is it possible to get an additive for your coolant that leaves deposits where there are leaks? Mon, 25 October 2004 09:37 Go to previous message
Is that black or white pepper??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tg/ 3tc custom rods
Next Topic:Dash Lights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 05:17:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054221153259277 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.