Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sat, 23 October 2004 07:06 Go to next message
Just curious to whats the best viscosity sythetic oil for the 1ggte. I know the new 1j'z run 10-30w what about the older 1ggte...Also if the engine is modifyed should i change the oil more often...righn now i cahnge it every 10 to 15 thousand kays..

Also i hear if you up the boost to the engine you should get sparkplugs that are one step colder heat range then stock?? to provent detenetion..anyone know
  Send a private message to this user    
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sat, 23 October 2004 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd like to know this as well. It's been a bit of an ongoing battle for me to find the right oil that will give me the best performance and that wont smoke.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Err what no-one knows or am i asking something stupid here...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'm using mobil 1 synthetic in my 7m and it loves it. And I change it approximately every 5k kms. I was told to do that coz there is supposedly a problem with Toyota twin cams in that they seem to have gluggy oil developing around the cams and such (don't quote me, I was just told by my mechanic friend, who was in turn told by someone else).
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool..I change it every 7-10,000kms.. what grade Mobil 1. I been using 5-50. But i heard maybe its better to use 10-30 viscocity and this might be too thick to when its cold to oil the turbos and all the parts...
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't remember off the top of my head mate, but I will check. But personally I dont think 10w-30 is too thick when cold. But then I always warm my car up before I take it out for a drive. And I don't fang it until I've been driving for at least 5-10 mins. I'm a freak Razz
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't warm up the car when its idiling cause it fauls the plugs but i don't give it much trottle at all till its warm...
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just be careful, Mobile 1 5W50 is definately too thin for a 1G. Go for something like a 10W40. or 15W40.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Sun, 24 October 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boyan u need thicker oil as the engines are older and were made with a lesser tolerance than the new engines now which are made to run on thinner oil , im running 20w - 60 pe4nrite and have found it very good in the car maybe 15 will do as well
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Mobil 1 5W50 on my 1G-GTE... no leaking, no burning, works nicely! But then, it's freshly rebuilt Razz
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why rebuilt engines are as good as new so u can use thin oil , rather u need thin oil
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but provided your engine isn't stuffed and doesn't burn the oil for being too thin, then what is the problem? People bitched about how my 280000km 21R-C shouldn't use 10w40 oil because it's too thin and would be burnt away. The damn thing doesn't use a drop.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not to mention, all turbo engines should use synthetic. Can't have that oil breaking down once it gets near the turbos!
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Mon, 25 October 2004 13:00

Not to mention, all turbo engines should use synthetic. Can't have that oil breaking down once it gets near the turbos!

i would have to say no there , the older model turbo charged cars were made with lesser tolerances than the new cars , synthetic oil didnt exist in the early 80s (from what ive heard)

so those cars were made in tolerance of what oil was available then , (not synthetic)

thast why u need thicker oil for older cars as the oil will be squuezed through the rings and all cause its too thin ,

synthetic oils are always thin oils they never come in the thicker rating , ive never soon any adfter 15w eve that was semi-synthetic

tolerance is the issue fellas keep that in mind

but then if the engines been rebuilt to finer tolerances and all then go the finer synthetic oil
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, the recommended oil from Toyota was 10w30 synthetic. It's not a dinosaur engine.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeahs that for when the car is brand spankers

its 16 years now snce the car was made do u still think the engine will perform or be the same as it was when it was made

just curious to know what now needs to be put in it
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, but provided the engine is still healthy, and doesn't burn it then there is no problem. Every engine will be different, it's all about what works for you.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah if the engine still going good i suppose u can do that ive een told that the 5w is too thin for normal cars they only needed for the smaller engine like the hondas and all even for them u need to change to thicker oil after 4-5 years

anyways as u said each to their own on the oil thing , as u need to figure out urself what oils is making ur engine run better i found it best with 20w but therea lot of rattle when starting but once driven the engine is very quiet

5w ad 10 w gave me really bad cold start in winter ery harsh

this couls also havebeen due to my thermostat being open all the way and car took ages to warm

so i got to try again snd see if the thineer oil will do
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering in colder climates they actually recommend the thinner oils, I'd be checking everything else out first.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my thermo is stuck open so car takes ages to warm up will see what happens after its changed
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian, you do realise that synthetic "holds together" until higher temps, unlike normal oils which tend to break down earlier on. The oil passes through the turbos, lubricating the bearings etc, and providing some cooling... if the temp of the oil gets too high it apparently becomes more gritty, or so i've heard. Using synthetic helps prevent this.

It's no fun having to rebuild things Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mobil 1 do make a 15w full synthetic if you're really worried about it.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah of course i know that but its only a stocker engine then the temp isnt going to be mega high , then u def need synthetic as the normal oil wont be good for use

just going by whats happened to me , norma oil works very well for mycar then again i have the thermo prob and maybe due to that the other oils wrernt working well as my ar used to take ages to warm up
after changing the thermo i will see what oil i need as the thinner syntetic oils gave me very rough cold start the thicker non synthetic oil i have now works a treat

as for now once the ar is at perating temperature u cant hear a single noise , maybe a faint ticking , and the fan noise that it very quiet and i like it

as for the mobil one i hae to check that out maybe that will work better on my car dunno

my car takes about 10 minutes or more to warm up in minter and having used the thinner oils frmm 5w-50 mobil1 . 10w-60 castrol supersyn , and 15w-50 penrite all synthetic xcept for penrite which was semi synth

i found the car was very harsh on cold start sitting there for 10 minutes everyday i could hear and feel the car ,,

then tried 20w-60 mineral oil and it was really much better no harsh feeling , nothing xcpt for the tapppet noise which increased due to the oil nt getting there being too thick

but eventually gets there and the car is really quiet and smooth tomdrive

thats what ive found out

now seing that i have thermo prob and ar should be warm in 2-3 min maybe a thinner oil will be better i dunno have to see

[Updated on: Mon, 25 October 2004 05:32]

BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok since this was my original tread people which damn oil do i use when i modify the car..ie i just got the Hiperboost controller today Razz and i'be running 12-14 psi till i get the Wolf ECU..so what oil visocity peoples (due to higher heat) and should i change the heat range of the plugs to one step colder then stock..

PS: I just the the front pipe from turbo with a cat 3"inces to match my back pipe..and guess what it made f@@k all diffrence..i mean whats the point of modifying this thing...put a cooler and exaust and got nothing...i thought this would at least make it spool quicker..it better have some good results when i up the boost to 14psi..otherise ill burn the car... Mad ...i should just rebuild my chev again...instead of letting it collect dust...sorry just a bit pissed off..
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's an old 1G, you won't get much power gains unless you put a big single turbo on it, ECU and injectors.

As I said use 10W40 or 15W40 synthetic oil, they are both fine.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously then is it worth spending money on a Wolf3d then.. i mean in all seriousness people.. i could just get a HKS P-F-Con and reduce the richness when i boost it for $250 buck instead of $1800 bucks for the wolf...I mean i know u can't beat and aftermarket computer but is it worth it on a stock 1G..i don't plan to ever change the either...
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
change the turbos that is...is adjusting ignition that vital
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Oil viscity and spark plug heat range for 1G Mon, 25 October 2004 09:58 Go to previous message
As I said mate, with the old 1G in the Soarer, don't bother with aftermarket management. Althought for $250 you can't go wrong anyway.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgteu oil pump replacements
Next Topic:3tg/ 3tc custom rods
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 06:36:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076799392700195 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.