Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Using diesel to flush oil system.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 05:48 Go to next message
Just wanted to know if this is a good thing to do or really bad. Have a laugh at me if it is common knowledge.
A mate was saying that it is the best way to flush an engine that has been sitting for a while.

How much is a good amount to add to the oil when flushing (say 0.5litres to 4.5 litres of oil)?
Does it damage any seals at all?
Should I flush again with cheap oil after I have done the diesel oil mix flush. Then add the good stuff?

Thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Proper flushing oil would be better though I have heard of this being done.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't locate flushing oil, use diesel engine oil. Diesel engine oil has a high detergent rating. This is essential in keeping diesel engines clean. Diesel engine oil will flush the galleries, and continue to lubricate properly. Limit operation to 30 mins, drain and refill with proper spec engine oil.

regards Chuck.

ps. Some servo's, not all, will have a POL's (Petrol Oils and Lubricants) book available at the counter. Heaps of good info on oil compatability, and meanings of all the standards and other information found on oil containers.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've used diesel before, and it has made a notable difference, but I wouldn't really have the balls to do it with an engine that had cost be any kind of money. On paddock car grade engines, I use about 50% (or more! HAH!) diesel...
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have done this a few times to non-performance engines ... if you're really worried about damage, just fill the case right up, pull out the plugs and disable the fuel system then crank the engine over to get the diesel thruout the oil system.

if you're brave, you can run the engine with just the diesel as the lubricant - tho i would avoid putting to much load on the engine (e.g. idle it to get it warm then shutdown and dump)

of the engines i've done this to - TV cortina, 6cyl valiant, GC galant - none had issues with seals or seemed to suffer from this at all. They all died from excessive use combined with piss-poor maintenance.

don't bother flushing with cheap oil afterwards - simply allow engine to stand and drain.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you want to flush, like are you a high colonic & enema type that thinks your engine needs a similar type treatment?

there is nothing that you can use that will help the engine in any way, and plenty that will hurt it.

any sludge & sediment that is sitting there, not bothering anybody/anything, will clog the intake screen, score the pump and clog the filter, AND MAYBE even bypass the filter to go directly to your bearings.
other then on the pickup screen & head return drains & hydraulic lifters, the stuff is benign, just looks nasty.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sat, 30 October 2004 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We use Wynns engine flush alot at work, only because its a money making excersice and the customer chooses to use it. Not sure if it works or is good...

But Wynns claim they put it in a 1988 Corolla that had done 100,000km and tested the compression on all 4 before and after. They got higher compression after they used flush and changed the oil, by about 5 or 10% I think. Maybe it freed up the rings, the report did not say. But I wouldn't trust Wynns, they are a bit dodgy IMHO.

But if the Wynns is free, I would use that rather than diesel.
flynn21atwork
Regular

November 2003
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sun, 31 October 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your help guys, I'll look into proper flushing oil, or go the diesel engine oil with high level of detergent. I'd do the diesel if the engine wasn't my 1ggte, but i'll play on the safe side. I'm onlyu going to run it for 5mins with absolutely no load. The engine hasn't been run for abut 2 years.
Not as bad as my bike though which sat in a garage for 11 years.
Some of the sludge that came out of that was quite amazing. Still runs well though....
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sun, 31 October 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we've spoken about this a bit at tafe. according to my teacher (who is pretty knowledgable) its ok to use to clean the engine out with, however it may remove some sludge/carbon build up thats been there forever and cause the engine to blow smoke or run bad or something, i cant remember it was a while ago.
also according to this teacher, if you run diesl oil in the engine when its built and before its used normal oil, you can run it on diesel oil forever with no problems and it will be very clean inside. i wouldnt try it tho Rolling Eyes
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Sun, 31 October 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny2TG wrote on Sun, 31 October 2004 10:49

But I wouldn't trust Wynns, they are a bit dodgy IMHO.

But if the Wynns is free, I would use that rather than diesel.

Ya i've heard the same thing about Wynns. I wouldn't use the stuff on my car, but ya if the Wynns is free i'd use it

on someone elses car. Just not on mine.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually using flushing oil or diesel oil can lower your compression and cause problems with older engines.

Flushing oil will remove carbon deposits from around your piston rings which "may" have been helping keep a good seal between your piston and rings.

I wouldn't use flushing oil unless my engine was really gunked up and then I'd probably be more likely to strip, clean and rebuild the engine.

To sum things up. Unless your engine was recently rebuilt or you know for a fact that the sludge and carbon only developed recently don't touch flushing oil with a ten foot pole!
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with toobs,with my 4agze front cut..although there was alog book service history in the glove box (in japanese) (along with some other goodies they didn't see)..the oil always come out black..even when i just give it a service..could just be the oil i'm using..i simple choose to service it more often..say once every month..filter and fresh oil..total cost $50..takes 30 mins to do..piss easy job..i am never gonna touch it with any oil gallery cleaner etc..i would much rather strip it and built it again..
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah you don't want to risk clogging up vital galleries and the intake.. IF I was to flush my system I would put a brand new filter on and run it for 30 or so with no load... and be paranoid the whole while.

I chose to just service my car uber reguarly.. the difference over 2 years is significant. Oil stays cleaner longer now.
TrevofKal
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't use deisel at all, it is a fuel and as such , a percentage of it will burn readily, even when mixed with oil. Average oil temps can range from 80 to 110 degrees which is far too close to diesel's flashpoint for this little black duck! I envision that using deisel as a flush could INCREASE the amount of carbon inside your engine.
Use deisel engine oil, its cheap and the detergent in it will help clean out your engine.BTW, the detergent in deisel engine oil isn't there to actually remove carbon, but to keep it in suspension in the oil so that when you drain the oil, out comes the carbon as well. Normally this carbon and other deposits will settle on the bottom of the sump and the only deposits that will come out when you drain the oil is whats on the sum p plug.
I have seen hundreds of engines ( and done up a fair portion of that number), a lot of carbon around your rings will NEVER help seal your rings, getting rid of it will.
Usually with worn engines, the compression increase comes from carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and on the piston crown, rather than the idea of it "helping" to seal the rings.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Mon, 01 November 2004 16:18

i agree with toobs,with my 4agze front cut..although there was alog book service history in the glove box (in japanese) (along with some other goodies they didn't see)..the oil always come out black..even when i just give it a service..could just be the oil i'm using..i simple choose to service it more often..say once every month..filter and fresh oil..total cost $50..takes 30 mins to do..piss easy job..i am never gonna touch it with any oil gallery cleaner etc..i would much rather strip it and built it again..

Enigne oil turns black very quickly. I think it has something to do with circulation and the amount of heat and pressure it withstands. It oxidises (?) and thats why it turns black. Plus it does hold tiny bit of metal which would also cause it to go black.

Also with the Wynn's shit. I love the raidator stop leak. That would be the only stuff I'd swear by. Our 87 magna had a crack in the block near a welsh plug, two bottles of stop leak later and it was no longer leaking coolant Shocked
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TrevofKal, we werent talking about diesel fuel, only the oil. well i was anyway.

and yes the detergent in diesel oil is to disperse the carbon in the oil so it doesnt build up and can be drained readily. thats why when you put new oil and an oil filter on a diesel and run it for 10 seconds, the oil is black again.
TrevofKal
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: Using diesel to flush oil system. Mon, 01 November 2004 10:41 Go to previous message
I'm pretty sure the initial poster was talking about fuel.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cooler Size
Next Topic:Celica Fan always on? (ST162)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 07:05:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005958080291748 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.