Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 02:35 Go to next message
Howdy

It would seem that my radiator is quite blocked with gunk from the new second hand motor and some of the chemiweld that was left in my radiator from the original motor.

I am gonna try and flush it myself before I give someone $200 to do it, what is a good solvent to use?

I hear about a litre of diesel in the cooling system, running for about half an hour will work wonders and then allow me to hook the pressure sprayer up to the rear heater hose and pull off the top radiator hose allowing all the gunk and chemiweld to fuck off.

Anyideas on this method? Improvements maybe?
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR 1GGTE wrote on Mon, 01 November 2004 10:35

I hear about a litre of diesel in the cooling system, running for about half an hour will work wonders and then allow me to hook the pressure sprayer up to the rear heater hose and pull off the top radiator hose allowing all the gunk and chemiweld to fuck off.

I think you'll find that radiator hoses aren't very tolerant to fuel.

Take the radiator out, give it to someone, and get it cleaned.
It only costs $90
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arghh... what is with everyone wanting to stick diesel in their water / oil system today?

Chuck in some Tecaloy Radiator Flush or similar and drive around for a few hours (i.e. follow instructions on bottle).

If that doesn't de-gunk things drain your coolant and then remove your thermostat... put everything back together sans-thermostat. remove the top radiator hose from the radiator and then stuff ye-old garden hose in the hose... turn on the hose and let it rip for a bit.

If you took your car for a reverse flush they would do pretty much as above but they would use an air compressor to give the water a bit more pressure.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what he said ^... except, if you can use the firehose at work insteaad of the carden hose, it'll help flush a system (with no thermostat inside).

Just be careful NOT to point nozzle directly at the radiator...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for that fellas, will the CHEMIWELD have permenatly gunked up my radiator??

I might have a go at cleaning and flushing it myself i reckon, it all they use is a wirebrush and elbow grease and the bottle like cleaning things.

Once again thanks for teh help Very Happy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAN I DID THE SAME MYSELF ON THE WEEKEND , CHANGING COOLANT AND THERMOSTAT --

now my car runs fine and warms up heaps faster 6 min i think compared to 14 lollll nand also the tranny goes into overdrive and no fucking rpm jumping up and down

i drained the system first then used plain water and run the heater on full blast run for around 20min with cap off u will see bubbles or froth then drain again , repeat proceduere , then buy some tecaloy mukout its a yellow coloured fluid put in radiator refill again go for drive or wait for 30-40 min , better to drive around for like 20 min , then drain again

remove top radiator hose from engine take radiator cap odff then stick garden hose into radiator and full blast until u see clear water coming out of the engine ( take thermostat out in the start), then drain again and refill with toyota red coolant 38 dollars for the bottle mix with some distilled water 1 liter each should do the trick Cool Cool Cool Cool

all should be well after Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

also refitted a new power steering cooler (pita) to do , factory power steering cooler is gone now and replaced with a ford tanny cooler and now resides behinnd the griffin on the grille (soarer gz20), took me a lot of time and effort to with a lot of bruises fcuking coolers oil cooletr 22 and hose30 dollars 50 bucks all up Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

the stuff that came out from the power steering was black fluid now has nice red type3 dex atf in it steering feels a little harder though (maybe im imagining it though ) Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

be prepared to have u lawn grass turned to brownish black if ur doing the flush in the backyard and the garage to be filled with oil allover if u doing the power steering cooler , oil fcuking went everywhere when hose was disc and dripped all over the floor Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

oh also clothes and shoes drenched in oil and a lot of bruises and scalding from te coolant due to squuzing the radiator hose without radiator cap on Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

cheers
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont drain hot coolant from your car then put cold water in straight away. or you can, just dont bitch afterwards.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Mon, 01 November 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 01 November 2004 20:59

dont drain hot coolant from your car then put cold water in straight away. or you can, just dont bitch afterwards.

Rolling Eyes

obviously
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Tue, 02 November 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe, ive done that many a time in my work 5k powered forklift when ive got no time to let it cool down (likes to dump all the coolant, radiator at the back of the fork doesnt do much for cooling (and driving backwards gets uncomfortable after a while Wink ))

1. i leave the motor running to heat up the water quicker/stop larage temp drops
2. its not my forklift Wink

Havent had a trouble.... yet Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 04:57]

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Wed, 03 November 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah what EVOSTi said but i stil did it after waiting a little while like 5 min with bobnnet up andall , got away with it
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Wed, 03 November 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 mins... man it takes alot longer than that! but if it wasnt HOT, and you put it in SLOWLY, you can get away with it tho its still not advised, especially if the engine has an alloy head.
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Wed, 03 November 2004 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well car is still running so im guessing ive gotten away with it , i know changing from hot to coldstraight away will cause problems but didnt realise how bad it would be ,lollllllll

ok does the soarer have an alloy head Sad Sad yikesssss

will i notice any problems staright away or have to wait for it to show up due to changing the coolant that quickly
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Wed, 03 November 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you cracked the head you would probably know by now, take your car for a trhash up the freeway and see if it overheats, if it does then check your oil for milkyness.

Thats all i can offer sorry Sad

Also as if you didnt know the soarer had an alloy head, how many japanese motors do you know of post 85 that dont have alloyheads?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Wed, 03 November 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NAH car hasnt been overheating yet sits between the halfway mark had about a 2 hour drive the day before and cars was all good and had a full load of people lollllllll so i reckon its gotten away

cant believe that u have to wait that ong between refilling with plain water just to get the old coolant out after its at normal operating temp

anyways i hope i dont have to replace the engine soon

have u done urs mr 1g did u use any radiator cleaner
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Thu, 04 November 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just had my block and radiator professionally clean and flushed, only cost me $100 too that include coolant and new top radiator hose Very Happy

gotta love the power of cash Wink
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Thu, 04 November 2004 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a good deal man hope its all good now

did u see how they did it and what they used ?????
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Thu, 04 November 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was there the whole time Very Happy

they used some industrial coolant, came out of a 44Gallon drum with holden written across the side but the dude says he uses it in all his cars and he has never had a problem and he drives a JZA80 TT, so it must be ok Very Happy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Thu, 04 November 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did u see how they did it as in the proceduere , as to how it was flushed and how many times whatever so other here can follow
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Flushing Chemiweld and Gunk Thu, 04 November 2004 05:00 Go to previous message
yeah man, he pulled off the rear heater hose, stuck a high pressure cleaner into it with some funky attachment and attached a high pressure air gun into the back of the hose where the the water was, made sure the bottom radiator hose was off, which is was because the radiator was out anyway and then fired up the water and gave bursts of air every now and then, this went on for about ten minutes untill it was deemed clean then it was all put back together Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz exhaust manifolds
Next Topic:4.7 diff for FWD corolla
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 23:17:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048928260803223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.