Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
black86
Newcomer

September 2004
icon8.gif  starter problems = Wed, 27 October 2004 08:29 Go to next message
i get the occasional stuck starter due to heat and/or because the headgasket was blown in the rear of the head. but i cleaned the starter as best i could after i changed the HG. so when it does get stuck (due to heat, and maybe the not so good cleaning) i would only hear the click in the glove box, but the motor wouldnt crank. i'd bang the starter, or my shifter or try to start it in busrts and it worked.
NOW, i sometimes get no click from the glove box. voltmeter reads under 8V after an unsucessful start. going from OFF back to ACC volts are above 12V. but then sometimes my clock or radio presets get reset. then the only way to start is either i wait (from 5 mins to 2 hrs) or i use another battery and connect it to my cars battery and it'll start. whats causing this? is it a bad ground? is there a relay? it seems something is completely draining the battery when the key is put in the ON position so when i crank obviously theres nothing. so far its been over 12hrs and still no crank no glove box click... but everything else works Crying or Very Sad help...
  Send a private message to this user    
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: starter problems = Tue, 02 November 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time to get your starter motor reconditioned
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: starter problems = Wed, 03 November 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yepp, also your battery might be a bit tried after all that hard work, you might need a charge as well.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: starter problems = Wed, 03 November 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two problems here - your starter is not completing its circuit and throwing the pinion out to engage the ring gear (as a result of the mess and the best clean up you can do ), and the battery has lost too many volts and cold cranking amps to kick the starter motor over.
You will need to rebuild / replace the starter and fit a new battery, after the starter is fixed.
Mitch.
nudes
Regular

October 2004
Re: starter problems = Wed, 03 November 2004 09:43 Go to previous message
I just had my starter motor replaced as it was having similar problems.. 350 squid Crying or Very Sad

in my case the contact plates on the back of the pinion that complete the circuit, were worn. these contact plates complete the circuit between the battery and starter motor so although the solenoid was throwing the pinion into the ring gear no power was going to the starter motor so nothing was turning..

the big fat main lead coming off your battery goes straight to your starter so the starter is drawing massive amounts of current so, as ppl have said, your battery has probably had the dick temporarily.

as for the no click, it sounds like no power is going to the solenoid either.. could be a dodgy connection or loose earth (the starter has a rather large earth hanging off it) so check that..

sooo... go to your nearest auto electrician and pick up some new contact plates because they are almost definitely shagged anyway.. pull your starter motor off and put in these new plates.. i think you will find the old ones are worn unevenly..

failing that, check connections and get your battery charged (or a new 1 Laughing i love telling people to spend money)

goodluck mate
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G-GTE Speedo
Next Topic:Oil Coolers
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 19:50:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040268898010254 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.