Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:09 Go to next message
How do you go about it if its even possible, im sure i read some articles on it here a while ago

just a though because it looks like i may have bought a SW20 over here in NZ
  Send a private message to this user    
bergerac
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think theres a few guys in the US who have put 1MZ-FE's (v6) into MR2's but they come in a FWD setup (camry, avalon) and i think theyre titled to one side similar to the 3S/5S setup in the mr2. I dont know how well a 1UZ would take that, let alone if there would be enough space...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you might be asking the impossible. Unless you're extremely rich.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:01

Not true... you can do it if your not rich... you just have to be an engineering genious Razz
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can fit anything in anything with enough time and money, but on a scale of 1 to difficult, this is going to be difficult. For starters, where are you going to find a transverse gearbox to suit a 1UZ?
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u make a 1uz fit without structural/body modifications and you are a magician.

while u are at it, try shoehorning a 2jz for fun Very Happy
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:54

Nark wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:01

Not true... you can do it if your not rich... you just have to be an engineering genious Razz

I disagree... You'd have to be a rich engineering genius.
Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
racingstrong engineering i think thats what its called has put a v8 into an aw11 so anything is possible.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might be of help, a GM 4.6 v8 in an mr2.

http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/index.asp
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 17:20

racingstrong engineering i think thats what its called has put a v8 into an aw11 so anything is possible.

There is a difference between putting a v8 into an sw20, and putting a 1uz into an sw20

The 1uz aint exactly annorexic
The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cccoooooommmmmeeeee onnnn Powerball win well it was just a thought
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1UZFE in an SW20 NO WORRIES Very Happy

Needed

1 * SW20 MR2
1 * ZF Transaxle with appropriate bellhousing
1 * 1UZFE
4 * Angle Grinders
5 * Crazy Mates
8 * Cartons of Beer

Hey if holden can mount a 304 in an alfa sprint and call it a sports car then a 1UZFE in an SW20 isnt any more rediculous!!!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, the funny thing is, if you were that way inclined, that is most of the stuff to get it working. Smile Will need a welder too.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Except for the one-upmanship factor of a 1UZ in an MR2, why would you want to do it ?
It will handle like a pig at every corner you get to, with that much weight out over the back.....a nice car to drag, if you can get enought traction, but you kill the MR2's sweet balanced handling......seems like lunacy to me Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much does a 3SGTE weigh in full trim with the turbo and all accessories?
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 23:22

Except for the one-upmanship factor of a 1UZ in an MR2, why would you want to do it ?
It will handle like a pig at every corner you get to, with that much weight out over the back.....a nice car to drag, if you can get enought traction, but you kill the MR2's sweet balanced handling......seems like lunacy to me Smile

Well there are a few things to note here..

The 1UZFE is MUCH lighter than a the stock motor...

The ZF transaxle will give you a better range of diff ratios and is stronger

The 1uzfe can be made to BOOT... Cruzidas 241 at the rear wheels NA is proof of such

You will not need to hire a six year old kid with small hands everytime you change a belt...

So money and time permitting.. It would be a VERY worthwile conversion
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you forgot to mention what a lovely ZF transaxle is worth these days...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bah, who cares? There is a REASON we haven't introduced money yet Laughing
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 23:32

1UZ-FE lighter than a 3SGE??

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 16:02]

stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 03:01

stark wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 23:32

1UZ-FE lighter than a 3SGE??

Yes dude the SW20 with the 3sgte cast iron block and turbo + all accessories weighs over 215kg

The 1uz is around 170..

So yes it IS lighter

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2004 16:21]

The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Wed, 10 November 2004 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pity im still not in Australia or i think id have alot of crazy people to help me
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the 1UZ really any wider than a 1MZ. I mean they are both 90 dgree V engines with 500cc cylinders made by Toyota right? I reckon they'd be pretty damn simmilar in terms of width. If this is the case then the only real problem I see with the conversion is finding a gearbox to go on the 1UZ. The 1MZ kind of fits up to the 3SGTE box and this is what has been used for that conversion however I have no idea how simmilar the patterns of the 1UZ and 1MZ are.

The engine bay in an SW20 is actually a pretty large space, it opens out a long way forward and back once you get past the engine cover. I guess you'll be running fairly short on bay width but the engine is only 4 1/2 cylinders long so I reckon it would fit.

This swap would really suit the lazy cruiser handling of the SW20 in my opinion.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look up this:
V6 into SW20

The 97- 1MZ shares the same gearbox (if not even better) than the SW20 (except for the linkages being the other side)
So it will fit straight upto an SW20 box.

You will need to make up a drivers side engine mount & use the SW20 gearbox ones.

Use a pre 97 1MZ because the later ones don't have a return fuel line.

I don't think the 1MZ is 90 degrees, more like 60, otherwise it'd make it hard to fit in a FWD.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 11:26

I don't think the 1MZ is 90 degrees, more like 60, otherwise it'd make it hard to fit in a FWD.

So it is. OK you will have issues fitting the rear bank of cylinders without cutting the firewall then.

I still think it would be very cool.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, the 1UZ would be uber cool.
But I still think the 1MZ would be up there.

Dunno if the 1UZ is longer than the 1MZ due to the extra 2 cylinders, so length could be a problem.
The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we shall see what the future holds
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bahf. Ye of little imagination. What about putting the engine in the FRONT. Oh, and then adding the needed significant bonnet bulge for clearance Evil or Very Mad
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah fellas if your gonna go to the trouble of fitting a 1uzfe mount it in the back still but mount it north-south instead of transverse...

You have four gearbox options

1 zf transaxle (expensive but strong) Bellhousings available

2 Renault turbo Transaxle (Cheaper but will still hold 400hp) Has . been bolted to a 1uz before

3 Porsche 901 905 or G50 Trans with porsche 914 linkages (has been . bolted to 1uz's before exptremely strong and extremely expensive

4 Saab 5000 Turbo box Dont laugh (Usually in a north south . configuration for front wheel drive) If you flip the gearbox over . will be in the right spot but will be a bit of fucking around.. . Have seen this box mounting a 308 mid mount in a buggy very . strong box.

To be honest even though it seems like more F(*King around mounting it this way will probably give you less hassle in the long run... Yyou will need to be handy with an angle grinder however...
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 22:22

1UZFE in an SW20 NO WORRIES Very Happy

Needed

1 * SW20 MR2
1 * ZF Transaxle with appropriate bellhousing
1 * 1UZFE
4 * Angle Grinders
5 * Crazy Mates
8 * Cartons of Beer

Hey if holden can mount a 304 in an alfasud sprint and call it a sports car then a 1UZFE in an SW20 isnt any more rediculous!!!

Holden didn't mount the 304 into the alfa sprint. They just sold the motors to the Caloundra man that built the car
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[/quote]
Holden didn't mount the 304 into the alfa sprint. They just sold the motors to the Caloundra man that built the car[/quote]

Bah was still a big heavy holden motor in a teenie italian shopping trolley Rolling Eyes
stark
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 11:13

Is the 1UZ really any wider than a 1MZ. I mean they are both 90 dgree V engines with 500cc cylinders made by Toyota right?

Wrong dude the MZ seriex of v6 engines are 60 degree v6's and are a lot narrower than the 1uz which is 90 degrees... Although the 1GZFE v12 is a 50 degree motor Laughing
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 23:24

Holden didn't mount the 304 into the alfa sprint. They just sold the motors to the Caloundra man that built the car[/quote]

Bah was still a big heavy holden motor in a teenie italian shopping trolley Rolling Eyes [/quote]
True, but you'd still shit ya pants in the forwards, sideways and braking movements
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

Holden didn't mount the 304 into the alfa sprint. They just sold the motors to the Caloundra man that built the car

Bah was still a big heavy holden motor in a teenie italian shopping trolley Rolling Eyes

True, but you'd still shit ya pants in the forwards, sideways and braking movements
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
At this point, I'm only going to mention two words: Todd Wilkes.
The Wombat
Regular

February 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Todd wilkes !?! WTF mate !?! and i don't care about some stupid Italian trolley with a craped and claped out holden engine in it so stop bickering like kids
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wasn't he the guy that took on willowbank the wrong way. The sun, the glare, not able to judge the distance and over 270kph not a good recipe.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While your at it what about a 1UZ in a AW11?
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Thu, 11 November 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Wombat wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 08:50

Todd wilkes !?! WTF mate !?! and i don't care about some stupid Italian trolley with a craped and claped out holden engine in it so stop bickering like kids

Sorry about the highjacking. But IMO if you throw a gas-axe, a grinder, hammer, welder and money at it it'll fit. Personely a v6 would be a shit load easier, front wheel drive and all. Then twin turbos.........
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 20:22

4agte wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 17:20

There is a difference between putting a v8 into an sw20, and putting a 1uz into an sw20

The 1uz aint exactly annorexic

That north star doesnt look that small either Wink but it was originally an east west FWD engine and hes using the original auto box as well Smile

Still is a beast Smile
Manny
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's been done...do a search on the MC8R raced at Le Mans
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stark wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 21:59

Nah fellas if your gonna go to the trouble of fitting a 1uzfe mount it in the back still but mount it north-south instead of transverse...

You have four gearbox options

1 zf transaxle (expensive but strong) Bellhousings available

2 Renault turbo Transaxle (Cheaper but will still hold 400hp) Has . been bolted to a 1uz before

3 Porsche 901 905 or G50 Trans with porsche 914 linkages (has been . bolted to 1uz's before exptremely strong and extremely expensive

4 Saab 5000 Turbo box Dont laugh (Usually in a north south . configuration for front wheel drive) If you flip the gearbox over . will be in the right spot but will be a bit of fucking around.. . Have seen this box mounting a 308 mid mount in a buggy very . strong box.

To be honest even though it seems like more F(*King around mounting it this way will probably give you less hassle in the long run... Yyou will need to be handy with an angle grinder however...

How exactly do you plan on moving the rear wheels back enough to be able to get the hubs to line up with the output flanges on a north south transaxle? The engine will just fit in the bay north south in my opinion but that would have the gearbox flange hard against the rear firwall wich is already behind the axle line. You also only have about 70 cm's to fit a transaxle in behind the engine like this.

It's a far more likely thing that the engine will fit east west with an adapted front wheel drive gear box.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep this is what an MR2 looks like when you run a north south engine with a transaxle.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/460000-460999/460730_28_full.jpg
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Fri, 12 November 2004 00:04

Bah was still a big heavy holden motor in a teenie italian shopping trolley Rolling Eyes [/quote]
True, but you'd still shit ya pants in the forwards, sideways and braking movements[/quote]

The car in question was called a Giocattolo (Italian for "toy") and I believe there were only 14 built. The Alfa Sprints had the whole rear cut out to make way for the Holden Group A V8 (from the then-new Walkinshaw Commodore Group A) and a ZF transaxle, mounted longitudinally. The engineering was done by a man named Barry Lock, who was once an F1 designer with McLaren so he knew his stuff. The engineering and fabrication on these cars was beautiful, these were truly hand built supercars for their day (1989).

How do I know all this? When I was in Year 12 in 1989 on the Sunshine Coast, I did a week of work experience there. Unfortunately they were going bust at the time and closed down for good not long after. I did have the privelege of being a passenger in one that was being test driven very hard by the manager there one day. (I was about 6 months away from my licence, dammit!) The handling, braking and acceleration of the car were phenomenal, and I was scared witless and having a ball at the same time! The induction roar of the V8 right behind my head was spine tingling.

Believe me, this is not a car that anyone should be knocking. OK, back to topic now!

-Matt
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 1UZ-FE into a SW20 Fri, 12 November 2004 00:25 Go to previous message
You should do some research and appreciate a bit of history regarding Todd Wilks, may he rest in peace.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Spin turn nob....ideas???
Next Topic:gtech installation
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 22:42:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13447999954224 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.