Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » How can you tell (Diff question)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 01:46 Go to next message
Hi all,

I've been offered a complete diff disc 2 disc that is apparently from a Jap Celica. I have yet to have a look or measure it, but apparently it can be made to fit ae86.

Anyway, the diff in question should be a T-Series is this correct? So how do I tell it apart visually that it is a T series and not something else. Because I don't won't to find out later after I put it in the car that I can't put LSD in it..

Thanks

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only way to be 100% certain is to pull the diff out and measure the crownwheel diameter. It would help if you told us exactly which "Jap Celica" it came out of.

It's almost certainly a T series or if you're really lucky an F series. LSD centres are easily available for both.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T series LSD easily availble? Short of buying one brand new (from TRD), any ideas where I'd be able to get one? I've been looking for quite a few months now...
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 11 November 2004 12:49

The only way to be 100% certain is to pull the diff out and measure the crownwheel diameter. It would help if you told us exactly which "Jap Celica" it came out of.

It's almost certainly a T series or if you're really lucky an F series. LSD centres are easily available for both.

The guy is not really sure which model Celica it come from, all he know is it is come from an imported Celica. Does the local live axle Celica come with rear disc?

I guess I would have to pull out the diff and measure it T series is 6.7" ring gear diameter? Anyone know the exact width of the ae86 rear end?

Thanks
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK none of the live axle Celica's came with rear discs. Yes, 6.7" is ring gear diameter. If it is a T-series (I don't know about F), there should be 10 nuts holding the center to the housing. I don't know if it will help at all, but here are some photos I took of my T-series:

http://fookseung.fotki.com/automotive-1/ke35/rear_ diff_and_brake/
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the ra25 gt (?) came with an F series diff and rear disks.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also the MA45 (mk1 supra) can easily be mistaken for a celica

MA45 T series with discs
MA46 F series with discs
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh well, there you go, I'm wrong as usual Very Happy
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Thu, 11 November 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RA25 came fitted with an F series diff with drum brakes.

I'd suggest the diff you're looking at is from either a RA45 or MA45 (more likely), if it's not originally an AE86 JDM diff. There are differences in the brakes basically (AE86 is smaller). An AE86 diff is 1403-1405mm from my measurements from mounitng face to mounting face.
Xinx
Regular

December 2003
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Fri, 12 November 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was to put this diff in my car, which I've been told is slightly wider than the original ae86 diff. Would this have any dramatic affect on the car? ie suspension geometry and handling wise?

Thanks
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Fri, 12 November 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Given that the majority of RWD Toyota's have a wider front track than rear, and the new wider rear you plan to fit could make the rear track greater than the front, I think you will find that on the limit handling will be affected. Whether it is enough to change the car from a normally understeering thing to oversteering, I don't know.
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: How can you tell (Diff question) Sat, 13 November 2004 00:06 Go to previous message
sorry to use ur thread, but i couldnt be bothered making a whole thread just for a shitty question like this - my car makes like a rubbing/drony sort of noise and i can feel it through the pedals etc, could this be the dif or does it sound like flat spots?(witch is highly likly), if it would make a difference one of my rear tyres keeps going flat could that make the noise cos even when i pump it up it still makes it, and it is pretty loud and damn annoying!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Annoying noise at 3000 rpm
Next Topic:1G-GTE or 13B into a SA63
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 27 10:02:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048410892486572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.