Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 02:12 Go to next message
Hey guys just wondering what kinda money estimate it would be to get a soarer converted to a manual because im lookin at buying a soarer but would eventually want a manual for more fun Very Happy Thanx
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done it myself here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=29175&rid=81&S=68482ed4b0bdfea7884b2768f daf0dfb&pl_view=&start=0#msg_254608

Parts budget around $3,000. Installation, I did it myself. Probably budget 1.5-2 days worth of work.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 November 2004 03:16]

WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool thanx pitty i got nothin with mechanics but i'll have to learn someday. Think i'll just go with a gt4 thats already manual but definitely somethin to think about lata Very Happy
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3k for parts is a bit high, could probably source all r154 parts for sex change for 2k
and around 1.2k for w58
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hhehehehe. depends on how good you go on the clutch/ pressure plate!!
I also put a genuine manual ECU in.
Mine ran out closer to 4K, but i did sell the auto and ecu. to get some $$ back. so about $3500.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acmtt wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 19:26

hhehehehe. depends on how good you go on the clutch/ pressure plate!!
I also put a genuine manual ECU in.
Mine ran out closer to 4K, but i did sell the auto and ecu. to get some $$ back. so about $3500.

Well, i got mine in a package deal
so it came in at around 1.8k id say
only a std daikin clutch though.. but its dealing with over 200rwkw in shootout mode
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, you bought the 1/2 cut!
By far the best way to do it. The 154 is dearer to buy by itself. Importers/wreckers want up to 2.5K for the box bellhousing, and pedals.

Then if you go HD clutch, new master and slave to cope with the high pressure plate, ahhhh the list goes on!

But its great having the manual!!
evil_v
Regular

December 2002
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the 1jz r the auto or the manual faster...cause i have an auto N have all the part ready to convert to manual,but still unsure weather stick with auto or do the conversion....can u guy shine a light on this.....
cheer
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acmtt wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 21:09

Yes, you bought the 1/2 cut!
By far the best way to do it. The 154 is dearer to buy by itself. Importers/wreckers want up to 2.5K for the box bellhousing, and pedals.

Then if you go HD clutch, new master and slave to cope with the high pressure plate, ahhhh the list goes on!

But its great having the manual!!

no, my half cut was an auto soarer half cut, i did a deal with the importer(rolin).. jzz30 auto cut.. swapped auto box and mid sump for r154+all conversion bits, front sump and a jza70 cooler(which turned out to be a ga70 cooler, but anyway).... total cost of 4k
normal auto cuts are 2.2k..
also sold all the suspension and cooler for about 500 bucks.. so ended up costing me 3.5k for a manual 1jz with r154..

An auto 1jz is faster in a straight line than a manual.. but no-where near as fun
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i have posted a faster 1/4 mile in the 5 speed than i did with the auto and a shift kit!. Easier in the auto, more reliably quick ( how could you stuff it up ).

Going back on Friday night to try again, we were washed out last friday. There were about 10 Soarers from the ALSC there running at Calder.

Back to the topic...
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acmtt wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 22:49

Well i have posted a faster 1/4 mile in the 5 speed than i did with the auto and a shift kit!. Easier in the auto, more reliably quick ( how could you stuff it up ).

Going back on Friday night to try again, we were washed out last friday. There were about 10 Soarers from the ALSC there running at Calder.

Back to the topic...

maybe not enough torque close to stock to overcome high gearing in weight
but say my car, auto would murder manual for 1/4
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
250atw. 6200nm torque
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acmtt wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 23:25

250atw. 6200nm torque

250kw atw on auto transmission?.. lsd or not?.... stock turbo's or upgraded?
torque output means SFA
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We have covered all this on MSN its Andrew here. hehehe
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acmtt wrote on Mon, 15 November 2004 23:30

We have covered all this on MSN its Andrew here. hehehe

oh heheheh i forgot your name on toymods Smile
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been troubled about whether to do this conversion myself. I'm going over to a larger single in February and am aiming at 250 rwkw on a higher boost setting, with all the other parts needed to get everything out of the turbo conversion. Donno if the auto will be up to this kind of punishment but hey...

The manual would be nice to have but the price is high , I've seen full conversion kits go for a little over 4k in some places and as low as 2k. Just know all the parts you need and make sure any kit you look at has everything, individual parts are a real bitch to get.

And go the extra distance and get the H/D clutch the box will be open, no point putting a stock one in there cause lets face it , if you are converting the car it is gonna see some degree of punishment. No point having to take the box off 30 000kms later with a slipping stock clutch.

Just my thoughts on the subject
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Main prob is i dont have nearly enough knowledge to do the conversion myself. Is it heaps of hours of labour? How much would a mechanic charge for it? Thanx again
acmtt
Regular

March 2003
Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess at $750 labour for a mechanic, all going well.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Soarer auto/manual conversion Mon, 15 November 2004 22:48 Go to previous message
tyottsoarer wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 00:49

I have been troubled about whether to do this conversion myself. I'm going over to a larger single in February and am aiming at 250 rwkw on a higher boost setting, with all the other parts needed to get everything out of the turbo conversion. Donno if the auto will be up to this kind of punishment but hey...

The manual would be nice to have but the price is high , I've seen full conversion kits go for a little over 4k in some places and as low as 2k. Just know all the parts you need and make sure any kit you look at has everything, individual parts are a real bitch to get.

And go the extra distance and get the H/D clutch the box will be open, no point putting a stock one in there cause lets face it , if you are converting the car it is gonna see some degree of punishment. No point having to take the box off 30 000kms later with a slipping stock clutch.

Just my thoughts on the subject

I only got a Std duty clutch because the H/D ones werent anywhere
they were all sold out and couldnt get one for a few weeks...
but so far the clutch is standing up to the pressure.. no slipping under punishment or anything yet, plus im gonna have the box taken off and some parts replaced soon anyway, so i might just swap it then
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: Twin Delorto setup
Next Topic:TA22 Sound Deadening
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 11:00:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006990909576416 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.