Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 12:48 Go to next message
Hello everyone,
Iam going to have a go at polishing my alloy rims and rocket cover and was wonder what are some good products to use and methods of doing it???
  Send a private message to this user    
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mothers polish is good!or silvo,isnt bad either. just rub it in untill it is all gone and you are left with a good shine
Is there paint on the cam covers? if so then i would recomend paint striper first.
frozenwarp
Regular

September 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AUTO SOL mate, great stuff mirror shine comes in a little tube and costs about $10
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just went and had a look in my shed and that is what i used last time. Smile i just couldnt remember the name
HedgehogSandwich
Regular

May 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Attack it first with wire wool to get the paint off.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
autosol - don't waste time with anything else. is magic stuff.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 22 October 2002 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about the alloy rims do they have some kind of protective coating from the factory or not???
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some have a clearcoat on them - the shiny ones.......i don't know how autosol would go with this stuff..
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought some rims secondhand, they had this clear crap on them, just used paint stripper to get that crap off, then attacked with wet'n'dry sandpaper, then autosol
hint: if you dont want to autosol again then find something to protect the metal, some type of clearcoat
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon12.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AUTOSOL, dont go past it, QUALITY SHINE
JUZZO
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your rocker covers are painted, after you strip them you will probably find that the casting is quite rough. You can sit there for days with autosol/mothers etc and you will not get it to shine decently. You'll need to remove the pitted casting to get a smooth surface to polish. You can do this with gradually finer grades of sandpaper, but be prepared to have no fingers after a few hours! I've done this to my 3TGTE valve cover, and it was hell! Next time I'll pay someone to do it. Smile
Bboy_Sparx
Regular

October 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used Autosol to polish my cam cover. I;m not sure if i'd do my rims myself or if i'd pay someone to do it.

My friend got his rims done and they cost him $250 a rim!!! YIKES! On second thought, i might do it myself Laughing
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F*#K a mate of mine payed $30 bucks a rim to get them polished.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A guy i know will polish rims for about $30-$50 a rim Smile . He is a back yard job.but they do look good when he has finished with them
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

wizzfizz2097: i bought some rims secondhand, they had this clear crap on them, just used paint stripper to get that crap off, then attacked with wet'n'dry sandpaper, then autosol
hint: if you dont want to autosol again then find something to protect the metal, some type of clearcoat

Is paint stripper bad on tyres?? I would say so.

I'm going to have a go at using my dads disc sander which has a buffing attactment.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollaboy wrote on Thu, 24 October 2002 01:19

Is paint stripper bad on tyres?? I would say so.

I'm going to have a go at using my dads disc sander which has a buffing attactment.

I will put some paint stripper on some old tyres in the morrning and find out for you! I will post my results tomorrow afternoon here. Smile im also intrested to see what effect the striper has on tyres. Smile
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FLY PSI wrote on Thu, 24 October 2002 01:26

I will put some paint stripper on some old tyres in the morrning and find out for you! I will post my results tomorrow afternoon here. Smile

Sweet thanks mate.

Quote:

im also intrested to see what effect the striper has on tyres. Smile

Are you thinking of putting paint stripper under peoples tires at the shopping centre?? Razz

Also would high heat clear paint go milky on the rocket covers, as i want to keep them shiny as long as i can??
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollaboy wrote on Thu, 24 October 2002 01:31

Also would high heat clear paint go milky on the rocket covers, as i want to keep them shiny as long as i can??

i dont know. but a mate of mine AKA alainve, had a polished rocket cover on his old 4AC and it lasted for a long time(it is still shiney) so i dont think you will need to clear them.just wipe them over every couple of weeks! And they should keep looking good Smile
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rollaboy wrote on Thu, 24 October 2002 01:31

Are you thinking of putting paint stripper under peoples tires at the shopping centre?? Razz

HEHEHE.maybe,maybe not!
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Wed, 23 October 2002 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bboy_Sparx wrote on Wed, 23 October 2002 23:29

I used Autosol to polish my cam cover. I;m not sure if i'd do my rims myself or if i'd pay someone to do it.

My friend got his rims done and they cost him $250 a rim!!! YIKES! On second thought, i might do it myself Laughing

250 a rim that dont ound right. sounds like more then the rims worth. sure it wasnt for a full set. only a riceboy would pay that much
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$250 each to get chromed maybe...
Bboy_Sparx
Regular

October 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faulksy wrote on Thu, 24 October 2002 01:51

250 a rim that dont ound right. sounds like more then the rims worth. sure it wasnt for a full set. only a riceboy would pay that much

Nope, it's true he really did pay $250 a rim plus GST! They were 3 piece rims though, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference...I'm still laughing...I wouldn't pay that much.

Another one of my friends got his whole set (4 Simmons FR17s)chromed for $200...bloody mates rates Razz <---Now that I would take up any day
Bboy_Sparx
Regular

October 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
faulksy wrote on Thu, 24 October 2002 01:51

[...only a riceboy would pay that much

What does riceboy mean in that context?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceboy = mental problem
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have only just put the paint striper on the tyre, so i will post the results in the morning... Very Happy
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet then I'll know for the weekend.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And so will I... Laughing Laughing Laughing
MAZMAN
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Thu, 24 October 2002 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FLY PSI,
can you get me your mates details or ask him if he wants a job on doing mine?
i would pay him up to $100 per rim to fully polish them.
they are 9x18(x2)and 10x18(x2)BBS mesh type,painted black centre and red outer ring.
ive been quoted $310 per rim...and think its way too much.
im in Sydney.
PM me if you want
cheers
Danny
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Fri, 25 October 2002 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAZMAN:Ive sent you a PM regarding the rims
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Fri, 25 October 2002 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The paint stripper has had little to no effect on the tyre! Shocked but it feels a little softer where the stripper was, then the rest of the tyre. so i think that if you were to use it then it wouldnt have an effect on the tyre if it was washed straight off Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Fri, 25 October 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On the original topic, I'm currently cleaning my rocker covers and intake manifold. I'm soaking them in degreaser over night, then I'll hit them with carby cleaner, then polish with autosol.

Will make the engine look smick, 'specially with the new leads and a quick clean of all other surfaces.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Sat, 26 October 2002 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PETE do you think you could post up or email me some pics when your finished??
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Sat, 26 October 2002 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's the results of my cam-cover polishing efforts...
To start, I degreased the covers, then used a random-orbit sander with 250 and 400 grit paper to get the pits out of the finish etc, I then used a polishing kit from Bunnings that came with 2 cloth buffing wheels, one coarse and one fine, a fitting for a power drill, and 2 blocks of polishing compound that cost about $26 all up. With the polishing kit, the covers came up great for not too much effort, and they look a hell of a lot better than they initially did!
http://users.bigpond.com/jasonpurcell/starting.jpg
http://users.bigpond.com/jasonpurcell/sanding.jpg
http://users.bigpond.com/jasonpurcell/moresand.jpg
http://users.bigpond.com/jasonpurcell/halfpolished.jpg
http://users.bigpond.com/jasonpurcell/goodenough.jpg
troyboy
Regular

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Sat, 26 October 2002 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OMG ... that looks sooooo good...
im gonna do it...

may be a dumb question .. but ...
is it hard to get covers off???

do u need to put a seal back on??

whats the go
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Sun, 27 October 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Troy: best to change ure cam cover seals when u do it. Also it is easy to get the cam cover off. Take off the 4 silver nuts off the cam cover and take it off.

Too bad Toyota didnt re-cast the 4agze cam covers with their FWD chassis. Having the writing facing the right direction would have been good. Oh well.
troyboy
Regular

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Sun, 27 October 2002 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spanks Matt

any idea on the cost of the seal and where to get it?
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Sun, 27 October 2002 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh they available from Toyota for around $40-50 cant remember exact price but thats for the pair.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Mon, 28 October 2002 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EXCELLENT use of technet CD holder Wink
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Mon, 28 October 2002 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a price today from Car Bitz (Like Auto Pro) for $17 each. The guy said they are rubber ones which can be reused.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Polishing Alloy Rims and Rocket Cover Tue, 05 November 2002 12:30 Go to previous message
Here's some photos of my progress so far.

Taken straight after I took them off.
http://www.plusoneinteractive.com/rollaboy/Tappet%20Covers/DCP_0007%20copy_2.jpg

Good old paint stripper at work.
http://www.plusoneinteractive.com/rollaboy/Tappet%20Covers/DCP_15.jpg

After I washed the paint stripper off and cleaned it up a little with a wire brush.
http://www.plusoneinteractive.com/rollaboy/Tappet%20Covers/DCP_0016%20copy_2.jpg

http://www.plusoneinteractive.com/rollaboy/Tappet%20Covers/DCP_0015%20copy_2.jpg

More to come soon.
Takes a while with the sanding.
It really sucks with the raised writing as u have to be very careful not the sand it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fuel and ignition map for 20V
Next Topic:Apparent overheating
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 07:59:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007300853729248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.