Toymods » General Car Talk » ST162 dedicated thread

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these are what the aus specs look like...thats an even money bet Rob, I do have a set..

http://photobucket.com/albums/v293/warrior007/DSC0 17051.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2004 22:01]

Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm sexy Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look like the side skirts from my GT4, it's probably a case of Australian delivered cars having ghey side skirts for no reason.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 06 November 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im gunna play around with my old front bar today and see if i can remould it to make it better and even add circle driving light bits, i bet it wont work though,
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 09 November 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a troubleshooting question for you ST162 guys. Wink

In my '88 ST162, my speedometer doesn't work. Do you guys know how to test if it's my speedometer that's at fault or if it's my speedometer cable?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 09 November 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would take my instrument cluster out (15 min job) and see if the spindle turns for the speedo pickup

that will give you your answer pretty quicky. A snapped speedo cable however is not a big deal and not too tricky to replace Wink
doobs
Regular

September 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 09 November 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Tue, 09 November 2004 12:02

I would take my instrument cluster out (15 min job) and see if the spindle turns for the speedo pickup

that will give you your answer pretty quicky. A snapped speedo cable however is not a big deal and not too tricky to replace Wink

It's very easy to do, I just changed mine. You can try disconect the speedo cable like rob said and see if it spins.

Good luck
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 10 November 2004 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My front springs are stuffed... the front of my car regularly hits the ground in cornering etc... I was thinking that instead of replacing them with fresh factory spec ones... I'd go all out and buy Whiteline Springs, KYB shocks, Whiteline front sway, Whiteline 20mm rear sway, Castor kit and the front/rear camber kit...

Am I going crazy??? Should I really buy all this stuff?
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 10 November 2004 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:44

My front springs are stuffed... the front of my car regularly hits the ground in cornering etc... I was thinking that instead of replacing them with fresh factory spec ones... I'd go all out and buy Whiteline Springs, KYB shocks, Whiteline front sway, Whiteline 20mm rear sway, Castor kit and the front/rear camber kit...

i have heard very good things from whiteline and altho it is costly to get their full handling pack thing (which is wot i think ur describing) ive heard that as a package they tend to work very well due to them figuring out weakpoints and spring rates and that and develope a kit to function together
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Wed, 10 November 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Wed, 10 November 2004 19:44

Happened to me before i did springs..
Its usually the springs that cause this movement, the springs become really soft and yeah my car used to scrape when going around sharp corners..

I did king springs (standard height) and 18mm whiteline rear sway bar, 100 times better now...

My front shocks were upgraded recently but yeah i would love to get some kyb shocks on there and possibly a camber kit/castor kit!!!!

Whiteline rear sway bar is awesome.. dunno if the 20mm is necessary, can someone inform? i don't think u want it too tight..

79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 11 November 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll see what else they have in rear sways...
But the springs and shocks need definite attention... Maybe i'll get the others as I go...
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 11 November 2004 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have maual winders in my car and want to change to elecs. Sof ar ive figured that i'll need the door trim,arm rest/window controls,motor and the wiring loom. Does anyone know if the mechanism is different too?

Cheers
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 11 November 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont do it man....its the biggest hassle in the world. besides the fact that u may have to change almost every part of wiring in your car. you will also have to get relays, change your fuse box. etc etc etc. I attepted to start this once and after careful research and having a donar car to do it from, going backwards and forwards to compare the differences, decided just to sell the fkn thing and buy one that already had power windows. Very Happy

Karl

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 23:41]

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 11 November 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and to answer your Q. yes you will have to change the mechanisms. good luck
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 11 November 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Edit: I was wrong Neutral

[Updated on: Thu, 11 November 2004 23:54]

matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 11 November 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey StuC,

I did this exact conversion on my ST162 a few months ago.

The winder mecahanism and the motor are one unit, so you take out the manual mech and replace it with the electric one and the motor goes in with it. The mouting holes are slightly different but fortunately the holes you need are already in the door unused.

When I did mine I was hoping that maybe the wiring for the electric windows would already be in the loom and I could just hook them up, but sadly this is not the case. Getting an entire wiring loom and replacing yours with it would be a MAJOR job and really not worth it. With mine I wired them directly to the battery with a 30A inline fuse and earthed directly to the chassis. This does mean that they can be run independently of the ignition switch, but I figured that's a compromise I could live with.

As for the parts you need, I grabbed the motor/mech assemblies, and the door handle/switch units. I fitted them to my own door trims which requires making a hole for the switch to poke thru and also holes to attach the door handle to the trim. (You'll see how I did these and lined them up properly in the write up.) I had to use my own door trims because my interior is grey and the car I got the bits from had a black interior. I sprayed my new handles with VHT vinyl spray (a custom mix of black and grey to match my interior and then airbrushed). But if you are getting the parts from a car with the same interior colour as yours then just swapping the door trims will make life simpler.

I took a bunch of pics when I installed them, so I'll do a write up for ya. I found the wiring diagram in the Chilton's Manual very helpful when I was doing this too. Let me know if you have one, if not I will scan the page for you.

I figured I'd make a Word document with all the pics and instructions in it and email that to you - would that be OK? If anyone else wants a copy then just say so!

Cheers,
Matt
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 13 November 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all, just wanted to say hi. I just bought myself a 89 WhiteLightning Very Happy. If all goes well, i will be picking it up on Monday night Very Happy. I'll post pics when i get a chance to.

~CK
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Come on guys, keep this thread alive Laughing

Picking the WLightning up tonight ... cant wait Very Happy
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Chopin. congrats on the car dude and I hope to see your car in members rides. is that the white lighteneing that was advertised on toymods? . if so nice pickup mate.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Test Avatar
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey dude!! how are you? Its been a WHILE!!!! your car is Really comming along!!!! *I DID REGRET NOT BUYING IT*!!

YA mines from the forums, i need to know how to show pics in the post lol

I'll post pics once i find out!

G'luck with the car Karl, its really comming along man.... looks sooo damm nice
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 10:18

Come on guys, keep this thread alive Laughing

Picking the WLightning up tonight ... cant wait Very Happy

Sounds like you're pretty excited and I don't blame you! Congrats on getting the car, ST162 ownership is a wonderful experience.

Looking forward to seeing some pics when you get it mate.

-Matt
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and where did coomer go.. comon buy those lights already! the coolest 162 in the US awaits you! Very Happy

hmmm.... nice avatar alliance... Wink
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 15 November 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There you go guys.... my new car! Smile

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/White Lightning/White Lightning 1.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/White Lightning/White Lightning 2.JPG

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/White Lightning/White Lightning 3.JPG
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit shit. I forgot about coomer's PM...sorry mate. he wanted those indicators. why didnt u remind me earlier Rob...ur getting old dude.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh Embarassed sooo sorry Razz

sweet.. I hope he puts piccies up when he gets them! Smile
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob's been pretty busy mate! give him break (in the arm)LOL

Laughing
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alliance, that Celica looks awesome! Congratulations are definitely in order for picking up such a nice example!

If I remember the ad correctly it has a 2nd Gen 3SGE in it as well, correct? Love to see a pic or two of the engine bay too.

Welcome to the world of ST162 ownership, you'll love it.

-Matt
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance you car looks wicked man! where abouts are you from?
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From Sydney dude, im sill overjoyed. Waiting for work to finish so i can pick it up!

When i get it, i'll def take pics of everywhere and post it for sure.

Yeah is the ad in the sales section. 2nd Gen 3SGE, with extractors and a set of exhaust.

I might be selling the rims though, its a little hard to keep for me. 17", Maybe i have to raise the car a tad bit too. Very Happy

btw, im not sure if its SSV bodykit or not, but its def SSV on the front bar.... the sideskirt were custom made i believe, as for the rear bar, it looks close to SSV too. Let me check

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 03:15]

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok, its TRD bodykit.... anyone heard of it?
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD as in toyota racing developement
very well known
its kinda like mugen is to hondas

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 06:12]

GTH 00R
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
das a nice st162 there sexy cars n if anyone disagree's u smell funny anyways finaly yay my beats will be on da road after 7months in the work shop wat went from a engine rebuild due to busted head gasket and to hone things polish this an that has now led me to a 90's mod jap spec mr2 engine 3s goodness of course, being droped in i hear da jap spec's put 120kw's at the fly is this true? still awaiting original engine mounts and other parts from japan which should be ariving pretty soon, with the battery in the boot now n custom made aluminium air box sucking in the air from using pod filter and two 3inch induction pipes running from the front spoiler and reaplacing the old air dam i think it should nicely or is this over kill?? it didnt cost me much as i done it my self and my dad owns da factory so is sweet, wats da best brand of extractors to suit dis new engine? i got fat exhaust ready to be put on new seats from another kind toymods member n at a bargin price. those body kits for da celica how much do they go for? im guessin im gonna have to selling my organs for them yea?? aight later dudes Smiley =
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been lurking, waiting for pics of Alliance's car since I read the post. Very Happy

It looks awesome Alliance! Very, very nice! Smile

Warrior, no worries about the PM. Smile I just sent you one back. I can't afford them at the moment, because over the weekend I pulled off my factory wheels, only to find a crack in my left rear rotor, so that requires my immediate funds. Wink

But on the upside, my Brembo rear rotors will be on their way soon. And my factory wheels are now a glossy white color to hold me over until I get some nice 16" wheels. Smile

Hopefully within a couple weeks I can get my hands on some funds for those indicators though. Smile

Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance, ur car looks really, really cool! Cool its given my ideas thou, which i cant afford Surprised Crying or Very Sad

ohh and keep it the way it is!
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey !!!!!

ITS AT MY PLACE NOW!!!... but fookme.... its 12:17am. I'm too tired and too excited to take photos lol. Ill be playing around till tmr, i'll take pics of the engine bay and all around the car.

I'm LOVING iT!!!

it took me a good 1hr30mins to get from Quaker's to Rob's House, which is only like a few subs away!!!... lol North district is certainly confusing!!

BUT GUYS!!! WHOS UP FOR SOME CRUIZING ON SUDNAY?!?!??!?!??!?!
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 16 November 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice ride, looks horn as! *drool*

It's been quiet in here lately, so i'm gonna post some crap Razz

Things I did today:

Wash the car.
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/stuff/front.jpg

Remove dashboard for no reason.
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/stuff/dash.jpg

Cram 4" speakers into stock enclosures.
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/stuff/speakers.jpg

Make custom (less flammable) stereo harness.
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/stuff/harness.jpg

Clean garden out of the fan.
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/stuff/fan.jpg

Wire up 6x9's to the amp, reconnect stock rears - hello midrange!
http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/stuff/shelf.jpg

meh

EDIT: Soz ppl, it hasn't been quiet at all!! - firefox doesn't refresh the page everytime i visit so the last post i saw was the 'avatar test!' Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 13:58]

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF is happening here ?
No posts in my favourite thread for > 24 Hours !

162s are fully sik.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know eh? Very Happy People are getting lazy to post .. LIKE ME!

nah dude, i was stuck at washing my car late last night (Cause i was with my GF for a long time.. >_<)

so heres my story

Afterwork, i went to her place for dinner, then dragged on and on and on and on until 10pm

I then headed home, and saw a mate which i havent seen for a while, and we had a chat and i let him have a fang in my new car. All up approx 1/2 hr.

I then took him on in his little AE92, and murdered him ROFL..

11:00pm i went back in my driveway to notice i left my lunch at my GF's place .... so i went back and got it >_<

11:30pm HOME at last.... then had a shower, and looked outside at my car and i thought. I bought it on Tuesday, its now thursday morning (12:00am) and i ahvent given it a wash

So i washed the car 12:00am this morning ROFL.... after wards i sat outside staring at it, then noticed that i needed to wax it too if i were to sleep.

I then started waxing the car at 12:30am or so... got to finish the front end, inc the side doors before my neighbour came out with a bat and told me to go to sleep. (My sensor light shined into their room... they were angry, but nice ... in a way... minus the bat rofl)

so here i'm... with a 1/2 waxed car... so the front end is shiny and the rear is dull ROFL

completing the task tongiht i hope.

~Chopin

[Updated on: Thu, 18 November 2004 03:45]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaahahhaha Laughing

now that's obsessed, lucky the object of your obsession is worthy Very Happy

your girl is gonna be pissed heheher
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

your girl is gonna be pissed heheher

u bet, she was unhappy this morning already.... anyhow i told her i'm heading over to SUPER CHEAP AUTO regardless Smile

she understands why .... but still nags...

so yeah, i'm planning on doing the other 1/2 at 12:00am tomorrow morning again... and i'll have my BB gun ready for the neighbours lol
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's nothing wrong with detailing cars late at night. Very Happy

A couple Fridays ago I found out about a Celica meet the following day...not wanting to put the miles on my sixth gen. because I'm selling it, I decided to take the GT-S. So I washed it at 10:00 PM and then used paint cleaner on it twice, followed by polish, and then wax. I ended up going to bed at 2:00 AM, but it was well worth it. Smile
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm selling up...

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=51729&start=0&rid=2929&S=928e37f0d45 9a85957abc5b686ab6cce
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 18 November 2004 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to follow up ont he suspension upgrade...

Man it fuckign sick everyone loves the handling power of the celica now, up with the 12sec track mk1 escort! (mainly not as bumpy)

i'd go rear sway bar by white line any time it a must have! then maybe the front one helps!

Nezza Cool
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Fri, 19 November 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much did it cost all up, if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking at doing similar in the next couple of weeks. I'm a little confused by shock absorbers tho, not sure which brand to get. I've heard that pedders / monroe are the same and aren't too good and that KYB's are the go? I've done a bit of research, what attributes should I be looking for exactly?

What would you guys recommend (keeping in mind im a pov student with roughly a grand to spend on the whole upgrade)?
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sat, 20 November 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm.. I think i killed the thread :S
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 21 November 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe - so whats your guys oppinion on this ?

think a 162 would be a worthy stablemate for teh Gt4 ?

Need something for daily duties + seeing the gt4 is way way WAY more different than when rob saw it last - something sedate-er would be good with the facilitys to haul the muttly ( 70kg saint bernard )

Or should i offend the 86 community and make a beloved Hatchi a dog hauler Wink

Hmm - 70Kg driftdog or a Permed pooch

( tis a joke! har har - try it ! ) Razz
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 21 November 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YEa get the 162, pretty reliable!! easy to fix. The 3S-GE is a pretty good engine..! Very Happy
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 22 November 2004 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for all my sway bars shocks and springs it cost me $1055...$230 for all 4 king lows springs....$355 for front and rear sway bar whiteline ones! and 470 for all 4 KYB shocks!

She has shit all torque streer now (the front poly bushes help in that. and more traction.... keep up with RWD with 0hp at wheels than me and they got same shocks and super lows springs!

Nezza Cool
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 22 November 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet, I thanks for that. I'm gonna work out exactly what I need this week, might leave the sway bars till later tho. The front right is making a really bad knocking sound when it rebounds over bumps and it's making me nervous!
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 23 November 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you guys have any cheap short shifters over there in Australia?

If not, you may be interested in this...I just made a short shifter over the weekend for $35 USD total including shipping. Let me know if you guys are interested in the info...I've even got pics that I can post. Smile
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 23 November 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
post 'em up dude! That's sweet.. I already have some, but I reckon quite a few of the dudes here would be keen!
Coomer
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 23 November 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK...basically, I bought a short shifter for a '00+ Mitsubishi Eclipse, Lancer, or Lancer EVO 8. This is the exact auction I won on eBay to get the short shifter. I also had to buy bushings and washers to elevate the shifter assembly, and four longer bolts so that enough threads would catch.

Then I took apart the shifter assembly once it was out of the car, put it in a vice, and cut away a lot of the metal on the bottom so that the shift lever wouldn't hit anything. Then I put it back together with the Mitsubishi short shifter, and bolted it back into the car, with about 3/4" to an 1" of spacer bushings and washers on each corner to prevent the shifter from hitting the floor of the car.

http://www.ccoomer.com/88gts/photos/11_22_04/hole_cut_in_bottom.jpg
There's the hole that was painstakeingly cut with drill bits...the part highlighted in green had to be cut out too(after I tried putting it in the car and realizing that the shifter cable would have to go down to reach the end of the shift lever.)

http://www.ccoomer.com/88gts/photos/11_22_04/makeshift_washers.jpg
When I tightened down the bolts, it got too tight around the ball and it was hard to move...so I took some crimp on wire ends with circles, cut off the crimp parts, and used those as washers for the four bolts, since I didn't have any thin washers available here at the house.

http://www.ccoomer.com/88gts/photos/11_22_04/neutral_from_drivers_side.jpg
There's neutral from the driver's side perspective...I don't have the center console back on yet.

http://www.ccoomer.com/88gts/photos/11_22_04/third_and_fourth.jpg
And here's the money shot...this is third to fourth!

Total cost was $35 or so with hardware, and I absolutely love it! Shifts are a bit harder to execute due to having less leverage, but not intolerable by any means. Very Happy

If you guys want more info or pics, just let me know. Smile
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Tue, 23 November 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh for sure! Very Happy That's sweet as. I got a spare shift mech to play with so im gonna take a crack at this - so sick of elbowing my passenger when shifting to 4th! Does anyone know if the GT4 shifter is quicker than the standard SX one? The other thing I heard you could do was move the ball further up the shaft with a hydraulic press. Any one tried that?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 25 November 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi guys
I posted this in techs and conversions, but no one looks there Razz and seeing this thread was allllllll the way down the bottom. I thought bump it up. but seriusly I need some info

I want to put a ST184 box onto my ST162 with 3sge.
will the standard ST162 drive shafts be OK or do I have to get custom ones or can I use the ST184 drive shafts.

I tried the search but couldnt get a definate answer on this. any help to resolve this issue would be great.

regards

Karl
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Thu, 25 November 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl,

As far as I know you will have NO problems. As long as the gearbox came off an "S" series motor, it will bolt up. As for the driveshafts, well, my old shafts went straight into my new box which was off an ST202 Celica (3SGE).

Even newwer than a 184, so I VERY much doubt you will have any dramas. My vote woud be, AOK 100% fine
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Sun, 28 November 2004 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Must... prevent... thread falling off... first page!

My car is making this loud knocking sound from the front RHS on bumps and stuff so I got it checked out - the shocker is loose in the strut and is smashing up an down in there, which in turn has knackerd the bearing cap and worn the lower ball joint. Also discovered that I have no bump stops, my RHS springs / shocks are softer than the left and that both rear trailing arms are bent (one violently) due to an apparent meeting with a gutter (wasn't me!). Pedders want $1000 to fix it. BWA HAHAHAHAH!! As if!
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 29 November 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the interests of keeping this thread going, thought I might give a little update. Since the g/f was away all last week doing schoolies leadership stuff on the Sunshine Coast, I grabbed the opportunity to pay some attention to my car!

Got the windows tinted last Thurs, which I am really happy with. I have always thought white cars with black trim and tinted windows look great, if I do say so myself! Just got 35% stuff (keepin it legal) which isn't incredibly dark but still looks good.

Changed oil on Sat (LONG overdue), thought about dropping sump to replace sump gasket (which I have long suspected as the source of my oil leak) but in the end I chickened out. Would need to remove N-S crossmember and exhaust to do it, didn't have the time or expertise so maybe some other time (if I dont replace my engine first!) For future reference, anyone know what's the best way to get the exhaust out of the way to do this? I was guessing undoing it at the head, but that would certainly require a new gasket which I didn't have anyway.

Went to a local wrecker on Friday arv, found an ST162 there with the electric aerial still in place. (Mine stopped working about 6 months ago.) No idea if it was OK, but the guy told me he'd refund if it was a dud. Much to my relief, it works fine. I switched to a different head unit recently, and now the aerial goes up whenever the HU is switched on, regardless of whether you're in radio mode or not. On the old HU it only went up in radio mode, went back down if you switched to CD - hmmmm. I have a spare up/down rocker switch from my old 4Runner (that moved the back window up and down) so I might wire the aerial up thru that instead.

And last but not least - I rotated my tyres!

Still lots of little things to do/fix, but I'll get there one day...... Rolling Eyes

Laterz,
Matt

warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 29 November 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt
you dont have to take the exhaust off from the head..you can do it from the exhaust manifold, the exhaust bolts onto the outlet manufold, there are 3 nuts there. and also unbolt it from the cat convertor (which can be a prick sometimes) and your done. also you will have to remove the steel bar that goes from the front to the back of the engine bay, this bar has 2 engine mounts on it which can be unbolted from the underside of that bar.

good luck dude
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: ST162 dedicated thread Mon, 29 November 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hey Karl,

Yeah I saw those three nuts where the pipe bolts to the manifold, but dismissed it immediately because they look to be impossible to get at without removing the radiator and god knows what else. Suppose I could give it a shot but I really can't see any room to swing a ratchet in there.

I actually had taken all the crossmember bolts out (but hadn't slid it out yet) before I realised that the exhaust was more trouble than it's worth and just put it all back together again.

Since I've just changed the oil I think I'll leave it for a while and put up with the leak. Next time I change it I think I'll change the coolant too and get the radiator out of there so I can get to that exhaust manifold flange! (BTW I assume there would be some kind of gasket in that joint too?) And replace those engine mounts at the same time.....hint hint Razz

Sometimes I really miss my old KE30 Corolla.......now THAT was an easy car to work on!

-Matt
Pages (63): [ «  <  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: '76 Corona MKII
Next Topic:Old photos
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 07:26:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.014887094497681 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.