Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
icon8.gif  IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Mon, 15 November 2004 21:54 Go to next message
Hey All,

I don't know if any IT people have come across it but has anyone have a whole 160GB HDD (Serial ATA) completely go empty. We have Windows 2000 SOE with NTFS and it doesn't explain why the whole hard disk contents disappear. We use GetBackNTFS Trial and it can see all the files Mad .

Is it a flaw with the technology that it folds all the time as this is the 5th reported case (3rd time I have dealt with this)... This time its critical data I am trying to back up.

Is this a separated incident? Or has it happened elsewhere?

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Mon, 15 November 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like you have a corrupt file allocation table. FAT. you maybe able to recover it depending on how careful you are. take it to a PC guru.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Mon, 15 November 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it sounds like the file system is somehow stuffing up, either dodgy hardware or virus related most likley.

OnTrack will get the data back no grief assuming that the drive itself isnt physically faulty.

Do you use your windows from an administrator's account ? there are plkenty of viruses and what not that damage MBR's and file systems. Use your pc from a restricted user account and only startup an administrators account when you have to.

i would say you are being unluckly as it is fairly uncommon to happen, from my experience physical failure is more common then the file system failure. thats not to say that it dosent happen. Ive had customers with a RAID 1 where the exact problem your having has occoured. Try telling them that their raid is only to protect against physical failure of a disk member not the corruption of data... which has occoured on both drives Sad then try and convince them that you have to charge them the numerous hours to recover their data off said drive.

my final guess would be that the filse system i stuffed. but if this has happened a number of times on the same drive id get a bit suspicious to the integrity of the drive. what brand it is ? Wd,seagate, maxtor etc all have a testing tool on their website which will pull any error codes off the drive, and can also do a fairly decent surface integrity check., if their pull back any error codes time to send it abck. being a 160gb id imagaine it should still be under warranty.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 November 2004 23:24]

ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Mon, 15 November 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The PC at fault is an Intel 865GLC motherboards with Samsung SP1614C 160GB Serial ATA Hard Disks .

Cheers.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Mon, 15 November 2004 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
samsung hd could be half your problem. hate to say it but they are terrible. we refuse to sell them just becasue of the problems weve had with them in the past. samsung on their site will have a tester, grab it and it'll make a floppy disk for you to boot off and run that though it, see what happens but if the file system has died a ciouple of times id imagine there is a good chance of something being sutffed with the drive.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Mon, 15 November 2004 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the SATA hdd's using nvidia or via chipset?

might be worth a try updateing the bios and/or drivers

if its happened multiple times ring your vendor and ask if they have had problems with your particular motherboard.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 November 2004 00:08]

toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EvilJack wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 10:59

the SATA hdd's using nvidia or via chipset?

obviously neither, he said its running an intel 865,

exactly which board is it ?
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can set it up as a secondary drive with a new hard disk as your primary. and copy all the info back onto ur primary and use the samsung as a paper weight. that may work
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toof,

I work in an environment where the staff gets Administrator Rights so all is good.

It's just frustrating that there have been similar instances all over the place on different locations (sites).

Oh Well... back to rebuilidng/installing a machine I go Rolling Eyes

Cheers.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it isnt a matter of preventing your staff from having admin rights, im not suggesting that you should do this to prevent your staff or another user from performing a malicious act. more having admin privs. will *Allow* that user to do it. now often the user dosent indend to do somehting damaging but though the course of copping viruses,adware,spyware etc many of these thingws can only install or casue damaging effects when given admin privledges, so if the user only logs into an admin account when they need to change somehting or install software it often prevents many problems before they arrise.

are all your mahcines provided by the same supplier ... ? ie all contain samsung hd's ? casue really as warrior says they are best used as a paperweight.

Quote:

u can set it up as a secondary drive with a new hard disk as your primary. and copy all the info back onto ur primary

if the FS is stuffed then the new install of windows on the new drive wont be able to read the old drive anyway, youll need a tool that will either try to rebuild the file system (risky) or a tool that reads the disk in RAW format, this will be able to read the disk without needing the FS intact (Ontrack does a tops job but costs the earth, i figure if you have important data on there they think they can just bend you over)
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
warrior wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 11:11

u can set it up as a secondary drive with a new hard disk as your primary. and copy all the info back onto ur primary and use the samsung as a paper weight. that may work

Rolling Eyes Thought of that though 160GB as a paper weight is a bit excessive. Anyway, using GetBackData for NTFS seems to be working but see how we go...
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once yo0u get your data out run the samsung tool to check the drive, if its failed a number of times like this there is a good chance there is a rpoblem with it

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/util ities/shdiag.htm
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've only once used a Samsung drive...and it was DOA. Not a good start.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Tue, 16 November 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toof wrote on Tue, 16 November 2004 11:10

...exactly which board is it ?

It's an Intel 856GLC. I just flashed it to the newer bios and see how it goes Sad If the PC HDD dies after 2 months I don't really mind coz my contract expires shortly anyway Rolling Eyes

Cheers all for the input.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: IT Problem ~ Serial Hard Disks (Stuffed) Wed, 17 November 2004 09:49 Go to previous message
ahh a genuine intel board *shudder*

antoher product we bluntly refuse to sell. good quality boards but such a hassle as far as hardware compatability and general usability. gigabyte or asus all the way.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:For all you counterstrike fans...
Next Topic:130km/h speedo limit sought
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 05:30:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057520866394043 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.