Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162?????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Thu, 18 November 2004 23:53 Go to next message
Dudes, i've had a full tank of premium, now this is what i get:

btw i'm crap at manual, i've managed to use up 1/2 tank of premium / vortex doing 150km

>_< not as fuel efficient as i'd hoped for, and no, i havent really been thrashing it, not that much... just a bit... i was hoping for at least the 200km mark for 1/2 way

i'd hope for 400km for a full tank. Is it normal or is it just my car?

mine is a bit different i guess, heres the specs:

1989 ST162 WhiteLightning
2nd Gen 3S-GE
17"
Pod
Extractors and
Modified Exhaust

Also, the car dont feel powerful until it hits the 4-4.5k mark... is this normal? Since i've been driving my Skyline before, it seems to be max power say somweher at 3.5Krpm and you can feel power low down. I guess this ones a high end power car.

and ofcause, i'm a crapy manual driver, Very Happy

Let me know guys.
Chopin
  Send a private message to this user    
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'half a tank' is not very descriptive for fuel consumption!
well maybe if you have a 162 also <which I don't> hehe..
my 3T-GTEU is fuel massive.
for a 1.8litre engine.. uses prolly about 1litre of fuel for 7kms.
tho this is a combination of normal/thrash driving.
the old NA 3T prolly did the same.. but it had AFM issues..
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also 'half way' on the gauge.. may be telling lies if the fuel sender is faulty.

try filling the tank.. reset the trip meter.. drive around 150kms or whatever.. then refilling tank, and recording results =)
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my ST162 the meter for the first half of my tank moves a lot slower than the second, I generally get 150km+ before I'm passed the first 1/2 notch, 300 before I'm halfway, then 200km on the second half, then I refuel.

I've gotten 560 out of a tank before (running close to empty), but I generally get 11kms per litre of fuel. I've got a 1st gen 3SGE, by the way.

EDIT: I run a mix of both regular and premium unleaded - I haven't had the car long and I'm still experimenting. Premium runs a little smoother, but I end up using in quicker.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 November 2004 00:52]

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

300 before I'm halfway
Shocked

OMG, i think i need a service!!!... or there might be some leakages somewhere!!

WTF 300km before 1/2 way OMG!!!.... i'm getting 150km 1/2 way

>_< dammit, i dont fang it that much do it? Confused
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My engine is in ordinary condition (blowing smoke, 220,000k's with no rebuild), and I drive it as hard as my shot suspension and slipping clutch will allow.

Not sure if you have a problem, or if that's just how the 2nd gen 3SGE's are.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yeah i know what you mean dude buck

hopefully i can do something to improve that fuel eco. i'm assuming that everyone changes gears at say 3-4k rpm when driving normally right?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, the fuel guage is the most innaccurate way of measuring how much fuel you have used. Do what setsuna said if you want a better idea.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I change at 5 when driving normally and 6.5 when driving hard. My power drops off pretty quickly after 6, and taking it to 7,250 is pointless.
Jt_162
Occasional Poster

March 2004
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your celica feels like it has no power below 4000 because of the TVIS. When you hit around 4g, the manifold vacumm pressure opens a set of butterfiles on the intake which effectively doubles the amount of intake air going into the engine. There is stuff on the net about TVIS if you want to learn more. Try driving around without going over 4 and watch your ecomony increase.

My 162 with a 1st gen JDM engine gets about 10L per 100km around town and about 10L per 120-130km country driving. If you are getting shocking economy, change your oxygen sensor. This is located on the exhaust manifold. It is one of the main reasons 162's get shitty economy. People who have changed these report doubling (!) in fuel economy.

Your celica should have a 60L tank. When the gauge reads 'empty' there is usually still over 5 or 10L left. The 162 gauge is one of the shittiest gauges i have ever encountered. Mine drops to almost zero when i go up any kind of hill.
The only way to get a true indication of economy is to do what setsuna said.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine ain't too bad.. I had the timing up for a short while but yeah its back to normal for now.... I get appox 100kms per 10kms, and that ain't the subtlest of takeoffs...
out of 50 litres yeah i could get 500kms. This is usually with optimax but yeah even premium....

U might wanna get ur car checked out, The fuel gauge is quite inacurrate on these cars, they change to the sort of driving you do too, like if u take some quick corners the sensor won't pickup the same as when ur down on the highway, the sensor gauge moves around a bit...

Fill up the car, set ur trip gauge, and see how much u will get till the end of ur tank..
The second half of the fuel tank gauge goes down a lot quicker than the first half....

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Try driving around without going over 4 and watch your ecomony increase

u know, i think i might just give this one a try. And i'm recording as setsuna has adviced.

is there a way i can correct the gauge if its wrong?

Quote:

change your oxygen sensor

I'll do this, this weekend Smile

FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chopin,

there are a few things you need to do :

1. Check your odometer is accurate. I'm pretty sure they have those Speedo Check things on the M4 west of Parramatta.

2. Fill up your car, then drive for say 500 km and fill up again.
Then check how much fuel you have used.

On my old 162 the 1st half of the guage seemed to go slower then the last half. Red light comes on when you still have about 15 litres left. 162s have a 60 litre tank.

Cheers
T.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Fri, 19 November 2004 13:03

How do i check how much fuel i've used? if the readings are incorrect. Also FWDboy, thanks for your info, but can i be sure that i wont dry up my tank if i drive 500km? i mean at the moment its 1/2 emptied and i'm only on 150km, given that the 2nd half drains faster could only mean i will fall short of 300km if my calculations are correct.

Is there an idication about low fuel in the dash? i hope mine works Confused
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have gone over 600ks on tank on a trip to melboune once.. Very Happy

I was getting worried heheh

my guage doesn't move for 80 ks once it's full

but yeah CK, you gotta do it with your trip meter, not your guage
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Fri, 19 November 2004 13:14

FWDCelica wrote on Fri, 19 November 2004 13:03

How do i check how much fuel i've used?

You fill the car up once drive for say 500 km then fill it up again. Look at the petrol pump and see how many litres it took to fill up. Easy !

Cheers
T.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You fill the car up once drive for say 500 km then fill it up again. Look at the petrol pump and see how many litres it took to fill up. Easy !

LOL i must be so dumbingly slow today... OFCAUSE!!! lol... thanks for tipping me up FWDCelica!!

i shall fuel it with prem tonight and see whats happening Very Happy

Rob mate, 600km/tank Shocked i wish i could do that too Very Happy
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man I have finally found a car tht drinks more than my rona and its a 2.4 usually about 200km by halfway, last week managed 13.5l per 100km a new record lol
Rabsy86
Regular

October 2004
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my st162 ....If i drive it normal... Changing gears normal the petrol is good... But if i rav it to 6 and half 1st gear the noach goes down... But when i stop at a light it goes up againn... Razz
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've tried to keep it under 4k actually, cause anything over 3K, the sound of the exhaust actually hurts my ears when i have the window down LOL...

So yeah,i'm gonna go get O2 sensor this weekend.... anyone around the Riverwood / Bankstown area who knows where i can get one of these O2 sensors from ? Thanks palz!

~Chopin
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Fri, 19 November 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah my fuel efficency is pretty crap, 7km per liter, which is about 350km per tank, just for daily driving for work..but made some adjustments to the fuel map and will see how well the fuel usuage is.
drft spec - st167
Regular

November 2003
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i have done over 600 km on a tank in country driving, maybe even 650
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a 3sgte in mine, but i get pretty good fuel economy. On the open road i get 8 litres per 100kms and 11 litres per 100kms in town. The dude i bought my car off (and did the conversion) said that the car was MORE fuel efficient after dropping the turbo engine in. Very Happy
So i reckon you should not worry about your current engine and throw a 3sgte in...
Good luck.
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My best was 572 km's in 1 full tank of Mobil premium (the only one i use). tightass driving tho Laughing 162's are renowned for being high revving so dont wori bout the Lack of power below 4k's
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah THAT METHOD WORKED

listen to this guys,

The gauge showed emptied... i was on 282km

I fueled it full tank.... it took 37.5lts..
That means i still have 22 or so lts in my tank to make 60

it works out that for 1 lts, i do 7km at the moment!

so thats... 14lts/100km.. which is way high!! unless i cant do my maths!!

but dead set... 282km and used 37lts and showing emptied.

BTW i got chopped by lancer today, no happy!!!

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your car doesn't sound healthy dude. Maybe its just due for a good service. 13.29l/100km (37l / 2.82) is pretty damn high for an NA 2l. Shit, CrUZsida's 7MGTE used less than that Razz
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alliance_22 wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 23:54

so thats... 14lts/100km.. which is way high!! unless i cant do my maths!!

Mate that is terrible.
I would be checking my Spark Plugs and Distributor cap and leads, they can make a difference to your economy.

Bad luck with the Lancer too !

Cheers
T.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: How fuel efficient is your Celica ST162????? Sun, 21 November 2004 23:27 Go to previous message
Quote:

Bad luck with the Lancer too

Thnaks mate, feeling better today. I wont blame the 162... i'm blamming me! i'm a crappy o driver Razz

nah.... The ST162s are way fun!!

I CANT STOP REVING BEFORE THE 4K MARK NOW Razz Very Happy

Once reached 4Krpm, and this is only me, it feels like i have a little turbo in there Very Happy .. the little 'push' after 4Krpm is sooo noticiable, i dare to say a good 50% increase in performance..

But i dont want to stress my baby out right now, as i want to get her fully serviced, everything tightened before i pull that kinnda thing again... (ie Dragging a Lancer Mad )

I'll be free this Sunday, might try to do something then.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2004 23:29]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New Fullsick Sticker!
Next Topic:short question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 19:53:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.027523994445801 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.