Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
whatcrazyguy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 03:59 Go to next message
i just got an AE86 disc to disc rear axle put into my 86, and i had to get a JDM brake master cylinder installed so i can actually use the rear discs, as it won't work with the Oz spec one.
i heard a rumor that it's possible to alter brake balance on the JDM master cylinder because it's got some extra valve that the aussie one doesn't.
anyone know if this is true? if so, how can i adjust it?

Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM ae86's have whats known as a "P valve". now i dont know how it got the name, but the device is a brake bias controller and its located on the driver front strut tower.

its probably the most difficult part to come across... god knows why... but without the valve, it makes the disc rear end feel crappy because its got getting enough bias.. this is why ppl with adm 86's get shitty when their $2500 rear end feel like shit...

its only on vehicles fitted with disc rear ends stock, so the euro ones would surely have them too.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just spend $130 on a proper wilwood brake bias valve.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jap ae86's run a seperate system for the front and rear.
didnt know the master cylinder was different though?
just the lines on the drivers side strut tower
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 17:58

jap ae86's run a seperate system for the front and rear.
didnt know the master cylinder was different though?
just the lines on the drivers side strut tower

master is identical to every other ae86
the filler may be different tho?

the system isnt separate, its split by the bias p valve
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ur good with a lathe theres a easy solution
i put a disc rear end on the t-18 and yeah the brake bias was way out, dads good with numbers he calculated how much bias we need then turned up a little spacer to go under the spring in the proportioning valve, worked a treat!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jessetamsett wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 20:45

if ur good with a lathe theres a easy solution
i put a disc rear end on the t-18 and yeah the brake bias was way out, dads good with numbers he calculated how much bias we need then turned up a little spacer to go under the spring in the proportioning valve, worked a treat!

get your dad to make a shitload of em up and sell em!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or alternatively tell us the thickness of the shim and we can all do it ourselves. however i know it would be determined by weight of the car, m/c diameter etc...

ae86drift, when you hear of it as 'p' valve it means proportioning valve like mentioned. i think i may have heard of Bill Sherwood gutting the proportioning when doing a brake upgrade. apparently made a good difference.

although people should realise that with crap brake fluid the proportioning valve is one of the first to get blocked, meaning your bake brakes may not work at all, and most people wont notice. this happened to me and i only noticed on the dyno. after stripping down the proportioning valve and cleaning it out it was sweet again.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh there you go!
another item to add to my faq

Smile cheers niga@
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Sun, 21 November 2004 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
99% sure it was 3mm thick
it was just a 3mm thick spacer with a lip on the middle of it that went through the spring
whatcrazyguy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Mon, 22 November 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so there this valve... then what? how do i adjust it?
i'm not a mechanic, just a parts salesperson Sad what needs to be specifically done?
i've found the valve (i think...) on the strut tower, with a whole bunch of steel lines going in and out of it. is that the valve? or is it something else...? coz from what i can gather, only the overseas versions came with it
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Mon, 22 November 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whatcrazyguy wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 18:27

ok, so there this valve... then what? how do i adjust it?
i'm not a mechanic, just a parts salesperson Sad what needs to be specifically done?
i've found the valve (i think...) on the strut tower, with a whole bunch of steel lines going in and out of it. is that the valve? or is it something else...? coz from what i can gather, only the overseas versions came with it

hmmm euro spec ae86 have a valve that people want interesting Shocked
in ireland in 2 weeks time i will have a look then 4 u kid
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Mon, 22 November 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aus spec have the proportining valve, cant say its the same or different to the other models, quite possibly is.
there is no adjustment for it, only by either changing the spring rates in the valve or the easy way like mentioned by the use of shims.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Mon, 22 November 2004 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Mon, 22 November 2004 18:37

aus spec have the proportining valve, cant say its the same or different to the other models, quite possibly is.
there is no adjustment for it, only by either changing the spring rates in the valve or the easy way like mentioned by the use of shims.

just as i thought.
jap spec runs seperate lines which are not connected in any place after the master cylinder
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Tue, 23 November 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sun, 21 November 2004 17:02

Just spend $130 on a proper wilwood brake bias valve.

who sells these Chris? I need one for my Sprinter as most of my bias is going to my rears instead of my new supra brakes.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Tue, 23 November 2004 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
illegal for road use.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Tue, 23 November 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVOSTi wrote on Tue, 23 November 2004 17:53

illegal for road use.

WRONG

Completely legal for road use, just so long as its not adjustable from inside the cabin.

From Revolution Racegear or Meridian Motorsports, they are the two big names which come to mind around this area.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Tue, 23 November 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe different from state to state, i was under the impression they were completely illegal. might be worth checking with the engineer before getting one.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Tue, 23 November 2004 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well that is the case in at least 4 states. ACT, Vic, NSW and SA.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Wed, 24 November 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldnt find Meridian Motorsports in the yellow pages, got a number?

SO how are these things normally connected? I have been told some only adjust the crack point, anyone know anything about this?

well anyway I desperatly need one of these so I can let u guys knoew how it works out when i try it.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Wed, 24 November 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Takai: that's a pretty good price, is that what they retail for? I've never seen the Wilwood ones, only other brands (which seem to be a fair bit more expensive). I've heard rumours that PBR also make one, that's a bit cheaper.

And yes, AFAIK in QLD it's the same - you can have adjustable bias, just not adjustable from in-cabin. So if you put it in the engine bay etc then it's fine.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Wed, 24 November 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meridian Motorsport
Unit 7/ 1 -7 Friars Rd Moorabbin 3189
(03) 9553 4200

I'm sure they'll be nice to you Shocked
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Wed, 24 November 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard of the PBR one I will check it out
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Wed, 24 November 2004 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Mrshin I called them up and they had the knob adjustable Wilwood adjuster for $126.50. However this is just an adjustable restrictor that goes inline with whichever end is getting too much braking power. I was hoping for a device that both lines come off the master brake cylender, go into it and then go off again. Anyway I will probably get one and try it out.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Wed, 24 November 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamQ: But why? By adjusting one line, the other one will also "adjust" relatively. As in, if the back brakes are getting too much braking power (common with brake upgrades) then limit the rear line, and the front one will get more power relative to the rear.
whatcrazyguy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Thu, 25 November 2004 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know for sure that repco sells the brake bias proportioning valves!
just rock up to any repco and ask for one, they buy 'em through rocket. but like said before, there's only two to choose from and one of them is the type that you put on the end of the car which you want to increase bias on.
the second type doesn't specify, but i think it's the type to be mounted around the master cylinder and stuff...
go ask repco!!
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Thu, 25 November 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is a very good point demuire and I have a reason which I think is logical. This is because right now I have too much front bias, no worries u say chuck it inline with the front. However if I put some big rear disks on then it may be the oppersite problem where the back gets too much bias. I admit its unlikely but it would of been nice to have the assurance it wasnt going to happen.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Thu, 25 November 2004 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then how about get 2 of this valve and put one on the front and one on the back, then u have full adjustability. Very Happy
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 4 wheel disc-brake balance Thu, 25 November 2004 20:55 Go to previous message
Too much bias on the front isn't really a very bad thing. Too much bias on the back is.

Besides, you can always swap the valve around (from front to back)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My AE82 hatch keeps stalling
Next Topic:[AE86] Fuel Pump mounting
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 18:13:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.094904184341431 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.