Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Is this a crazy idea...would it work.?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 01:58 Go to next message
I've had this thought cycling around my head for a while now.
It involves creating a very unique drift car apporach.
*Take one Hiace or similar sorta van.
*Completely change the suspension to a decent setup,
with a really stiff rear end.
*Convert to LSD (I don't know wether they have that standard)
*SR20 engine conversion, with the engine placed as far
back and as low as possible. (250-300hp)
*15"-16" wheels
*wider track
*lowered drivers seat.
*Weight removal of anything up high.
* Half cage...

Any other sugestions..
I'm not into vans but i learnt how to control oversteer in one i used to own Razz and i thought, shit that would be fun and interesting to build if i had the dosh.
what do you think..

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2004 01:59]

Send a private message to this user    
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Biggest issue I can think of is panel damage. Even a small tap in the front there is very little to absorb the impact before you start getting structural damage. At least with a car front panels are pretty easy to replace.

Callum
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the centre of gravity? Wouldnt it be heaps likely to tip on its side? Or are they alright it you drop them as low as possible? you could do a custom roof chop to bring down its centre of gravity? who needs visibility!
Id say do it!
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you have my attention!
hehe. interesting idea.
cut the roof off and weld support barage and somekinda better thing on there.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the centre of gravity in most vans is suprisingly low when empty. The roof is just sheetmetal.

I've seen a British Transit van in some DVD which had huge power (Cosworth turbo motor) and handled really well, so it can be done. But a friend has a mega dumped Kombi van and apparently that played havoc with his suspension geometry and handling.

There's plenty of room under the floor in those vans, but not much under the front seats where the engine sits, so some custom body work may be required to fit the engine and all associated junk.

The main problem would be all the custom stuff needed as no-one would have done this before. And the seating and steering wheel position could be a little hard to drift with.

But give it a go and see how it turns out.
Hen
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think kombi vans is rear suspension is the reverse of other setups. When the rear squats down on most cars the inside of the rear tyres have contact. But when Kombi vans squats it's the outside of the rear tyres that has contact. that is why they are prone to roll overs at high speeds.

This was never used for track work it was mainly just a show car. But there was a van down here that had a 502ci V8 mounted right in the middle of this Mits express van. The guy who owned used to take it to car shows and do burnouts.

There is also a van driving around here with a 350 chev in it.
None of these are meant for high speed driving tho.

I've got a van with a busted motor waiting for me to do something with it so if it works ok for you it would inspire me i recon
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"chop" below the windows
then "chop" the roof.

if done right would look interesting (ie normal car height), and would lower CG a bit.

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have u seen truck racing u would think they would have a high centre of gravity but because all the heavy stuff is down the bottom (like a van) it shouldn't make any difference.
Gr33nM0nk3y
Regular

September 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anything can be done with enough money..

why does it have to be a sr thou haha.. cause they fetch a premium before race wars you know Razz

a nicely built gte would be lighter and is smaller ie: would be easier to mount under the seat

i doubt you'd need to chop the roof to lower CG, you would probably need to take the leaf springs out (which i think you said would be done anyways) and maybe (thinking outloud) welding up something like ma70 / ga70 irs (irs ok for drift?)

thennnn im guessing you'd need to brace the chassis a bit..

no point lowering the seat, as you wont have full visablity, so your better off high mounting a cobra or something.. then theres the sh*te steering wheel setup..

i say, dont bother Razz but im sure its been done somewhere hahahaha

then you need the 7 foot carbon fibre wing to look cool, so you have to watch out when u go under ped. bridges Wink
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it would be interesting.
As for the seating position being over the front wheels, i found that you recieve a surprising amount of information as to where the rear of the van is facing - because it pivits from where you are sitting.
But an SR20 would be only a suggestion. Heaps of torque, easy power....
bracing would have a large impact on the way the car handled and the position of the cage would be a design challenge as to get the lowest centre of gravit.
Persex window and maybe fibre glass roof inserts may accomdate the problem of top heavyness, but as someone said, vans aren't to bad empty. Wider track would help with roll prevention.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/664000-664999/664889_1.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/501000-501999/501452_24_full.jpg
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 24 November 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fooly sic bro
Gr33nM0nk3y
Regular

September 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Thu, 25 November 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd want to know how to drift well before you tried drifting a van hahaha i can picture it now.. you`ll get 1/2 way round a corner loose too much wheelspin/power whilst still in full lock, back wheels grip and send you into a wall.. can you say yes please insert my head into the A pillar.. Laughing

im guessing van's would be hell beefy in the front for accidents on the road, but damn, i wouldnt want to test it Confused

it'd be funny to watch, and you'd prolly get sponsors for tyres and shi*e really easy cause everyone would know you and its unique, and you have lots of room for stickers Razz

and yeah as sum1 said, it would be easy to judge the angle the van is at sitting over the front wheels, and the longer the van the more likely it will love just hanging out there and be easier to control...

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Thu, 25 November 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we all know those sprinter vans can do "foolysik dorifto"
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Sat, 27 November 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/driftbattle.jpg
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Sat, 27 November 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahahahaha!

priceless, it resurfaces yet again!
causinmayhem
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Sat, 27 November 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone who's been to a few drift meets in adelaide would be able to tell you that JMS has a hiace with nos that has been drifted on regular occasions! Very Happy
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Sat, 27 November 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the main problem you're gonna have is weight.

http://toyota-africa.com/showroom/tmc_hiace/specs. html

These things aren't light. I dunno how much weight you can get rid of by removing stuff, but I think you'd be better off going with a 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE powerplant over a SR20. Perhaps if you're worried about room, a 13B or 20B.

Seems like a pritty silly idea to me, but I guess that's half the appeal.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Sat, 27 November 2004 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Sat, 27 November 2004 11:33

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Sprints/driftbattle.jpg

Laughing love it.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Mon, 29 November 2004 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

if u were a bored millionare maybe Razz
it would look nuts drifting tho!

iv seen some crazy japs drifting similar vehicles
but ill stick to sprinters, silvias, rx7's for driftin Very Happy
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Tue, 30 November 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the F1 teams I think mclaren did a van based on a F1 chassis/drivetrain. Can't remember where I saw the pics though.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Tue, 30 November 2004 13:33

One of the F1 teams I think mclaren did a van based on a F1 chassis/drivetrain. Can't remember where I saw the pics though.

Yeah, that thing was freakin' nuts. I have a magazine article about it somewhere.

You could get it in GT1 or 2.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 01 December 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The article I have is a Renault Van with a Renault (an older one of course) F1 motor in it.

Cheers
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Is this a crazy idea...would it work.? Wed, 01 December 2004 03:39 Go to previous message
Renault Espace F1. Basically built an enlarged F1 chassis around the van body. It's stuffed in some museum now, although apparently it was f'ing quick around a race track Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brake upgrades for the ST162?
Next Topic:Hardcore Racing JZZ30 Soarer runs 9.88!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 20:45:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057330131530762 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.