Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car grumpy in the morning.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Car grumpy in the morning. Sun, 21 November 2004 02:44 Go to next message
When I start my car after letting it sit for a while it runs really rough, as if only on 3 cylinders. It occurs more frequently after a 'spirited' driving session. I'm guessing its ignition / fuel related, but how can I narrow it down? Should I try running some injector cleaner through the system? The spark plugs are only 6000k's old, but are regular ones (not iridium as per the manual).
Any help / ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy
  Send a private message to this user    
Flebbert
Regular

August 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Sun, 21 November 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know if this helps, but with my car (MA70 7MGE) it has a problem with starting first thing in the morning.

The cold start injector was completely blocked. I tested fuel by removing cold start injector and sticking hose in a bottle and got someone to turn over the engine a little. Is a little back yard but soon told me i had fuel pressure.

I am pulling apart engine to clean other 6 injectors this weekend as atleast one injector is stuck open (250km tank fuel).

Sorry for telling my life story....... but if it starts fine when warm or runs fine after 10 seconds or so i would say it would be fuel. Test fuel pressure and even replace fuel filter just in case. Thats where i would start

Hope this helps and am open for corrections if i am wrong

[Updated on: Sun, 21 November 2004 22:38]

Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Mon, 22 November 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know much about your particular car but I remember something about a problem with the temp switch for the cold start injector. Either not functioning or needing to be replaced with one with a different range. Somebody who knows about this engine might like to carry this tread on.
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Mon, 22 November 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The fuel filter was replaced at the same time as the plugs, but I'll definetly check the cold start injector. Thanks for the tip! Lack of fuel pressure would make sense actually, the car would run rough until enough pressure built up to feed the motor. The other thing i've noticed is that it tends to surge slighly when the accelerator is held steady. I read that could mean fouled plugs so I'll check that too.
Flebbert
Regular

August 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Mon, 22 November 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just noticed that u r from croydon. I brought my MA70 from there about 2 months ago. It is silver
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Wed, 24 November 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.tpg.com.au/nbdean/positive1.jpg

on that it may well be the spark plugs. If your manual specifies em then i guess you need em?

are the heat ranges of the ones you have in the same as that of the irridium ones the manual asks for?

Cheers

Nathan

[Updated on: Wed, 24 November 2004 11:56]

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Wed, 24 November 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Wed, 24 November 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol, nah man I dont remember seeing one - only silver and black ones. Its croydon victoria, not NSW btw.

I doubt it, my mechanic just replaced them with the same type as whatever was in there to start with because I didn't have the cash for iridium at the time. Judging by some of the things the previous owner has done to the car, I doubt they'd be correct. Still, it seems to run ok. If it was related to the plugs though, wouldn't it effect all cylinders? It seems to only effect one at a time which could mean a semi-blocked injector or a fouled plug. I'll pull them out this weekend and check em along with the cold start injector.

It's starting to start rough more frequently, even when still hot. Confused
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Car grumpy in the morning. Wed, 24 November 2004 12:34 Go to previous message
that sez foul plugs to me.

had similar issues on a 2t and turned out ova rich mixture was fowling plugs every week .

the dirtier they got the rougher it ran.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EFI Symbols...whats do they all stand for
Next Topic:blue screen SAFC1 on 4age TVIS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 14:58:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056898593902588 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.