Toymods » General Car Talk » My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

icon5.gif  My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Thu, 25 November 2004 04:05 Go to next message
Hey Fellaz, how are you all?

i got my car last tuesday, and i must say she is beautiful. However, she has had a few problems like coolant leaks and engine leaks. These had been taken care of.

Recently, i have been suspecting that my car aint performing to its potential, since i've been in Robst162's car and warriors. let me tell u the specs.

3S-GE 2nd gen motor
Still running 1st gen manafold with TVIS
MR2 SW20 gear box
17s"

OK the problem seems to be when i'm down low, say about 2-4krpm on 2nd gear, it seems like the needle just dosent like revving up, and it will do so ... SO slowly. Yesterday arvo, i took the white lightning to a flat straight stip, tried to do a 0-100 and timed. To my suprize, it ran well over the 10sec mark, more like 13sec 0-100km/h (Thats counting the 0-1-2-3-etc).

still unsatisfied, i tried it again, 0-100km. This time was like 11 sec and a bit of clutch dumping.

I'm thinking that a normal ST162 can do low to mid 8sec with simple or no mods, so something might be wrong with my car. Also, after giving it a fang, theres a slight smell of burnt 'things' and that is something which i cannot find. However, the smell led me to the break pads later on, and i just hope to god that its only crappy break pads causing that burnt smell.

When u guys run 8s - 9s do you actually dump the clutch or do you let go gentally from 1st gear?

I'm hopeing that this problem is only my crappy driving skills, and not something mechanically wrong with the car. RobST162 drove my car before i bought it and claimed that it felt more powerful than the first gens.

Not to mention that theres already these mods on it.

2nd gen 3SGE
Extractors
Pod Air filtre
cannon exhaust 2.25 " i believe.

Anyways, i'm hopeing that its my crappy driving skills.

Cheers,
Chopin

[Updated on: Thu, 25 November 2004 04:06]

Send a private message to this user    
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Thu, 25 November 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u have had engine troubles etc..
why dont u give the person who sold it 2 u a call

cause i think i remember hearing that he gave u a 3 month warranty on the engine
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Thu, 25 November 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you had a look at your intake manifold?? does it have 8 intake runners?? if not it sounds like your running a 2nd gen motor with a 1st gen manifold....

the 1st gen manifold may not have as high a flow rate as the 2nd gen with TVIS open, therefore with the TVIS closed on your motor it could just be an additional restriction to the intake in the lower rev range that would inhibit performance under the 4k mark...

this is entirely hypothetical. post some pics of your engine bay and we might be able to determine your configuration, or see something that is a miss
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Thu, 25 November 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats right, i want to bring it back to the mechanic, but tis all the way at st marys (im near bankstown) Also, i'd love to do the work if i can do it, cause i know some mechanics just do a dodgy job and take the car for a spin. However, if this is an engine issue, i guess i have no better choice than to bring it back.

What concerns me is that i overheard that a 2nd gen 3SGE should not have TVIS, as it creates turbulance or something rather in the intake. In fact, i heard that 2nd gens should have an entirely different manifold setup and that.

With that said, i have a 2nd gen in a 1st gen manifold.... so this worries me a bit.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Thu, 25 November 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I don't think the Second Gen manifold can go on AND have your bonnet close at the same time Very Happy OR it's a super pain.. not sure

which is why people don't do it.. am I right or wrong here peeps?

Anyway, if you CAN put a second gen manifold on, that would be good, however, not essential man, and won't stop the car from being fun and reliable.

Maybe you should phone the peeps who did the motor and ask them if they have the manifold there?? As it was only done a couple of weeks ago I seem to remember
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Thu, 25 November 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as i know, if you put in a gen2 you have to use the gen 1 manifold as it is smaller and fits in-Robs right, you cant close the bonnet with a gen2 manifold. Although, i do believe if you do the conversion you hvae to take out the TVIS butterflies so they are straight runners - Thats what i have been told anyway. Have you worked out which ECU is in it as well - coz if you're on the gen1 ecu,leave that until you sort out the intake probs - Otherwise if u put in the gen2 ECU with the gen1 mani, the 'flys will stay shut all the time. Good luck mate

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man i wish i was 1/2 a mechanic!!!!

if i drove to your place Rob, do you think you can take a look for me?

i'm not sure if i have gen1 ECU or Gen2... is there a way to tell?

I cant close bonnet with gen2 manifold? damm, so i'm stuck with a 1/2 transplant project right? Well if there is a way to make the butterflies always open, i guess it CUOLD be better... but i bet the fuel eco will go down the drain.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You have to thrash the crap out of an ST162 to get a sub 10sec 100km/h time - depending one tyres/uphill/downhill etc etc.

The 2nd gen manifold is two piece and basically it's too tall to fit into the ST162 engine bay without bonnet mods.

Fuel economy is not going to go down if you have the TVIS butterflies open all the time. The gen 2 ports are quite different to the gen 1 ports from what I know and there is very VERY minimal benefit from TVIS on the gen 2 head.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it would be interesting to find some stats on a gen2 motor + gen1 intake vs gen2 motor + gen 2 intake

ps stephen, still got one bar of chokky left lol.. shall I mail it? Very Happy
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You have to thrash the crap out of an ST162 to get a sub 10sec 100km/h time

WHY the hell am i hearing 2 sides of the story all the time.

Ok, a few weeks back, before i got my celica, i got told that the ST162 can do 8s - 8.9s 0-100km/h.

I asked what happens if it compared to Lancers, VL, R31s etc. And those who owns a ST162 bascially said the 162 will own them all. Apart from the VTECs and VTIRs

so assuming the info i have is correct:

Lancer 0-100km/h: 9.6sec for MR (Top of range)
VL 0-100km/h: 10+sec for non turbo
R31 0-100km/h: 9-10sec for the RB30E (Over 11sec for auto: mine)

If the ST162 should have no troubles going against a Lancer, should not it BE acutally faster than the Lancer's 0-100? lgically?

If so, then who honestly can tell me how hard they have to launch their 162 to get the 8-8.9 sec mark? cause i've tried just about all that i know and cant get it under the 10sec mark.

So FWDboy is acutally pretty right at the moment.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the official stats vary between about 8.8 and 9.8 seconds depending on what country (ie, JDM 162 had diffo stats) you are looking at the stats from
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats a JDM? lol

well i'm guessing if mine was from sydney, and your one (rob) is from sydney, then i hope in stock form, they should be deadset head to head right?
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM - Japanese Domestic Market

umm... dead head I doubt it lol Very Happy there is quite a number of things different between our cars.

hey get some 16' wheels and your car will go faster Very Happy btw, with the 17z, 100 on your dial is probably like 110 or something
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OFFICIAL FACTORY ST162 time is 9.3 seconds for 0-100klm

I just found the brochure
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I just found the brochure

OMG U 162 FANATIC!! Shocked Shocked Shocked i want a copy lol

yeah i wanna get rid of my 17s!!! soonish i hope!!!
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just give it a run on the dyno to find out its performance.
try ricol at peakhurst, they're just around the corner from you.
They probably wouldn't charge much. and they'd be able to check out your air/fuel ratios

with your engine and mods you should be looking at around 85fwkw assuming 30% drive train loss

[Updated on: Fri, 26 November 2004 05:18]

Farmsci ST162
Regular

August 2003
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BAH! the gen 2 motors manifolds fit in the engine bay perfectly fine, how do i know? my bonnet is currently closed! i have posted this info numerous times.

Alliance, you have a gen 1 ecu. the only gen 2 stuff in your engine bay is the long motor (block and head of motor). You have the gen 1 manifold and what not because it means you dont have to change the ecu, or wire up a different wiring loom to your chassis.

YOU CAN put on the gen 2 manifolds, however, it means you also need the wiring loom and ecu from the gen 2, which also means youll require full scale engine conversion rewiring. You cannot run the gen 2 manifolds etc off your existing wiring, you cannot install a gen 2 ecu.

Its not that the gen 2 manifolds cant be done, its just that if you really hook into it if you use the gen 1 gear you could easily do the 'conversion' in a weekend as opposed to the hassles of a full on engine conversion.

questions concerning differences in intakes, T-vis aids low end torque, gen 2 manifolds use a similar butterfly system but the butterflys open access to a second plenum chamber at the top end which is better for top end power, in theory gen 2 with gen 1 manifolds will make a nice torque curve down low but struggle more up top, but the gen 2 mainfold with its much fatter intake runners and variable plenum which opens up to double capacity up top is more of a top end power producer.

anything else?

steve
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

gen 2 manifolds use a similar butterfly system but the butterflys open access to a second plenum chamber at the top end which is better for top end power, in theory gen 2 with gen 1 manifolds will make a nice torque curve down low but struggle more up top, but the gen 2 mainfold with its much fatter intake runners and variable plenum which opens up to double capacity up top is more of a top end power producer
Can u shove a pic up maybe showing describing the two plenums etc? I'm surprised there aren't more full-on 2nd Gen conversions because I've always been skeptical of how much more power the gen 2 + gen 1 ecu/manifold combo would actually improve performance.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My New ST162 3SGE (2nd GEN) not running properly Fri, 26 November 2004 15:17 Go to previous message
RobST162 wrote on Fri, 26 November 2004 12:08

it would be interesting to find some stats on a gen2 motor + gen1 intake vs gen2 motor + gen 2 intake

ps stephen, still got one bar of chokky left lol.. shall I mail it? Very Happy
lol - only one bar left? bwahahaha - I think there are some tim tams hiding in that fridge too...*sigh* I miss them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fuel Economys 1UZ, 2JZ, 7A, 3S....
Next Topic:Fooly Sik KE70 Maan.. Wikkid Lowerin!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 13:09:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073418617248535 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.