Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 02:13 Go to next message
Hi

I am looking for the best price on a digital camera (canon 20d) and the best place seems to be overseas.

I know that if something goes wrong i have to send it to america under warranty, but are there any problems actually getting it here?

I have heard that I would be charged an import duty unless it was classified as a gift? does anyone know any details of this from either frineds or personal experience?

thanks in advance

Daniel.
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even classifying it as a gift doesn't guarantee it'll get through customs untouched. Any item over AU$500 is eligible for GST, so be warned.

I'm looking at trading up to the 20D from my 300D shortly, and will be on a similar mission.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, always assume it will get bent over and butt-raped by customs.

How much of a price difference?

It might be worth paying more for local just for warranty issues alone. EDIT: Just remember, you'll have to pay postage there and back, and be left without it for several weeks if you have to send it back.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 03:27]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Mon, 29 November 2004 11:24

Even classifying it as a gift doesn't guarantee it'll get through customs untouched. Any item over AU$500 is eligible for GST, so be warned.

Its actually 300AUD IIRC.

And you pay lots.
You pay customs tax on product value AND postage costs.
AND you pay GST ON TOP of customs + value + postage.

Just get it from Aus.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most electronic goods have 5% duty... Customs normally works it out as:
(cost of item + duty) x 1.1 for GST
and then usually they will add a clearance fee in the region of $50
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
next problem - almost ALL USA vendors will ONLY use FedEx or UPS to ship. This means $150 shipping charges for you buddy.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Mon, 29 November 2004 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To avoid the customs on electronics...ask the seller/shop to just break the seal on the item and write 'used' on the box.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Wed, 01 December 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys it sounds like a hastle but does changeing it to 'used' make it exempt from fees?

there is a 7-800 dollar saving on the puchase price. so it could be very worthwhile.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Wed, 01 December 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 15:30

there is a 7-800 dollar saving on the puchase price. so it could be very worthwhile.

Are they only 1200USD?
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Wed, 01 December 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 17:38

munki wrote on Wed, 01 December 2004 15:30

Are they only 1200USD?

the best price i found (quick search) was $1495 USD body only which was arround $1920 AUD when i checked it out ($1 was aprox 79us cents)

the cheapest local was 2650 body only (RRP 2699) but that was only if you oculd find one in the country (that popular) the other option was to get the 'enthusiast kit' which comes with a plain vanilla 18-55. these could actually be bought if you were lucky and then the lense could be sold off.

it sounds good on paper but there is a little more to it.

74 gt that idea sounds good but does it actually work? or will i get reamed anyway.

Daniel
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Thu, 02 December 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ebay has them for around $2300AUD 'Buy it now'

I didn't look into the auctions so I don't know the fineprint.

But you take that US price, add customs, add GST, and then the possibility of sending it back for repairs, and the aussie price is looking pretty good.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Thu, 02 December 2004 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get it from Australia. I just had my Canon lens die this week(supplied with my 300D). Turnaround time for a new lens under warranty is 2-3 days, and only cost me $5.75 for registered post.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Thu, 02 December 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well when I have had electronic things like games and consoles come from overseas, it has always had either gift or used on it. The thing that customs want to stop is competition from overseas. Buying that camera in Australia will mean that the money stays here, whereas if you buy it over the net(overseas) or you're overseas and get it, the money is going into foreign hands...and this is basically what customs tries to stop too, as well as foreign animals/bugs etc. Its the advice I was given when I bought a PS2 in Japan, I was told to break the seal so that if my bags were checked going through customs in Sydney airport, I could claim that it was used and that an Australian business had not lost a sale.

So I think all that made sense...so basically if possible get them to write either used on the package or gift. Just as long as it doesn't look like a sale was 'stolen' from an Australian business.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: buying a product from america because it is cheaper any problems? Sat, 04 December 2004 10:30 Go to previous message
I've bought a number of bit & pieces for my MR2, shifter kits etc.. from the US because even with insured postage($25USD) it was still cheaper. The sender had the item listed as "sample product" and it was sent via USPS, got here in 4 days, no problems.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Shiri's Asian Movie Review: Zatoichi
Next Topic:Poems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 11:47:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045621395111084 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.