Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Body strengthening Mon, 21 October 2002 15:50 Go to next message
i see all these old cars in magazines with over 150 rear wheel kw and think how much can these chassis handle. they definitely werent designed for that power output. since i was planning on similars coversions (ie. 4agte ke10). when is it time to start thinking about chassis strengthening?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Body strengthening Mon, 21 October 2002 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering a KE10 is one of the greatest little cockroaches ever built, its probbly time to consider strengthening if you plan to install a 3k Shocked

Nah, seriously I'd be seriously considering adding a cage and changing the suspension a fair bit, merely for the sake of your own existance, otherwise a minor lose into a wall or something could be very messy...
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Body strengthening Mon, 21 October 2002 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stitch welding or seam welding all the areas of suspension mounting points and bulk heads would help a great deal as well. Such as all the rail to floor pan joins, cross bracing across floor pan etc.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: Body strengthening Tue, 22 October 2002 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another tirck that some rally people use is to fill the sill panels with a hard setting foam such as Sellys Space Invader. The adds little weight to the car, but add quit a bit of ridgidity to the shell. Of course, you can do this to all box sections if you like.

Just be carfull that you get a good even fill of the hollow area!

Craig.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Body strengthening Tue, 22 October 2002 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cant use an off the shelf at your hardware store foam like that! Laughing. they simply are not strong enuf for the task.
I know you can buy Structural foam, which is a 2 part epoxy resin that you inject into your sills and and hollow cavity you can seal the bottom of and it expands and sets in a couple of hours, it totally fills them and sets rock hard its said to add up to 15% in structural rigidity.
im not sure where to get it from but some good places to start would be reputable race shops and possibly panel beaters that have some involvement with race cars
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Body strengthening Tue, 22 October 2002 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah at the moment we are plaaning on changing the front suspension. Just have to work out whats going to be able to fit. thinking supra struts up front. not too sure what to do with the back yet
syncro
Regular

October 2004
Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
found this post during a search

you could fit a kp61 starlet crossmember and struts with steering rack and antiroll bar etc, i had this setup on my ke35 coupe and it really made the car handle better, the starlet struts can be uprated too with different inserts and on mine i had bmw e30 260mm vented disks with celica callipers

how is this project coming along now?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, where's a good place to go looking for the foam?
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.solidsolutions.com.au/polyurethane_syst ems/expanding_polyurethanes_rigid.htm

Dunno if this is the stuff, but it looks like a good lead.

dodgydan
optionUP
Regular

February 2003
Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Two things I have heard about injecting foam into body cavities (the car's, not yours Shocked ):

1. The stuff is supposed to be highly flammable (and quite possibly gives off toxic fumes when it burns).

2. If any water or moisture seeps in between the foam and the body work, it will stay there a long time, which could mean the metal rusts out very quickly!

Try it at your own peril!?

[Updated on: Mon, 29 November 2004 07:43]

Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex was looking into it too. Father used to (pre - 1975) rally an Anglia when he was younger and he noticed that once crashed the urethane filled cars were simply thrown away.

The reason being that they simply cant be welded and hence repaired. So while it might add some stiffness, it will be unrepairable in the event of a crash.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll probably just end up hoping the cage does the job then I guess!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Body strengthening Mon, 29 November 2004 11:58 Go to previous message
If you have a good cage you dont have to worry about the body strength!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:g/box oil (ae71)
Next Topic:GA70 Specs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 02:58:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.058425903320312 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.