Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:07 Go to next message
Just wondering what characteristic of a ECU map causes the car to shoot flames on hard shifts at high RPM.

It cant be good for the cat can it? Laughing
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
waste spark and excessive fueling will do that

basically when you shut your throttle fuel is still going in and is unburnt, and because the GZE coil packs are "waste spark" config (fires on both compression and exhaust strokes) the excess unburnt fuel is ignited as the exhaust is pushed out....

well that's what i would think anywayy....
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a pretty obvious one , but I was also thinking of the possibility of the timing jumping all the way down when you shift and throwing still combusting material out into the exhuast.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Mon, 06 December 2004 18:26

waste spark and excessive fueling will do that

basically when you shut your throttle fuel is still going in and is unburnt, and because the GZE coil packs are "waste spark" config (fires on both compression and exhaust strokes) the excess unburnt fuel is ignited as the exhaust is pushed out....

well that's what i would think anywayy....

Sounds about right, over fueling is usually the cause of flames out the exhaust, or very poor igniting in the cylinder.

Cheers

Steve
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excessively retarded timing can also lead to delayed combustion - but that usually manifests itself as a red hot exhaust as combustion is still occuring when the exhaust valve opens.

flames could also come from the engine cutting spark but keeping fuel up - but this is an anti-lag function used to keep turbos running (and shorten the life of the exhaust turbine dramatically).

have you stuffed around with the AFM? is TPS set correctly?

have you modifed the ECU map and related settings to try to simulate some form of anti-lag to assist with flat-shifting Wink

i'd say the that the waste sparks actually helps reduce exhasut flames/pops as it will help burn off excess fuel up in the headers, rather than have it catch fire at the header collector (and go pop) or at the tail of the car (when it finds enough oxygen for combustion and turns to flame).

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2004 07:37]

DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha , actually my car runs very well and does not shoot flames , but in its dyno tuning process I do remember seeing it throw alot of flame on the run down ( something retarded like a 3.11ms pulse on a -80kpa point ) but yeah I was what else caused flames like this.

Note - I have no intention of making my car shot fully sik flames , but I am learning about different portions of my tuning ecu maps.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3.11ms is pretty high for idle down.. i just readjusted mine down to 1.4 to 1.2ms

do you use an overun fuel cut?? maybe youve accidentally turned it off or changed a setting?

DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Tuning Question Mon, 06 December 2004 08:30 Go to previous message
Yeah thats about what I run atm , the original map was very very rich all over , but it is a lot better now , I also have a 16% fuel trim under a no load condition.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 December 2004 08:31]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:variations in 4age distributors.
Next Topic:GZE woes
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 11:28:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046617984771729 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.