Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
xbox q's Mon, 06 December 2004 12:34 Go to next message
ive been contemplating buying an xbox for some time, and have done some research on modchips and im considering doing it myself. it seems the install of the chip is relatively easy, i just wanna ask some q's:
where can you buy chips from in aus? also HD's?
not to great with computers, but i think i can handle the install, but what after? can a simpleton like myself do whats required after installing the chip like flashing bios and the other required stuff im unfamilliar with?
  Send a private message to this user    
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: xbox q's Mon, 06 December 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any regular ide hdd will do

for chips http://www.xecuter.com.au/
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: xbox q's Mon, 06 December 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save the hassle and just pay someone like stealthmods $60 to do it. They mod it, flash it, install craploads of apps and games for you, and also give you a 12 month warantee. You can do it yourself, but it'll cost you nearly that much just to get the bits and pieces you need - then you have to flash it and update it yourself, and me? I'm lazy.

As for the HDD, any will do. There used to be issues with HDD cache in the earlier version of the xbox, but as long as it's post v1.6 (any xbox made after about 7/2003) you should be fine.

I do tech support for local business around the place, so if you need hardware lemme know. I can grab 120Gb HDD's for about $110 (for the decent ones) POS western digi's are cheaper, but I despise them. Still, if you're really keen on saving the $10 I can get you one.

BTW: modded xbox is da bomb. It turns it into a pc. I have usb keyboard and mouse on mine. Web browsing, email, ftp server, full windows media player and local network acces. I just stream all the crap I wanna watch/listen over the network off my server, and sit in front of the TV watching whatever I want from any of the pc's on my network Smile
UUP-46X
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: xbox q's Mon, 06 December 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

How do you get in contact with these Stealthmods folk?
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
honestly it is not worth attempting yourself, way cheaper and easier to get it done by a moddder, and they load on all the
apps, do the flash, set up hdd etc...

make sure you dont get a rip deal - flashing your original
xbox bios with a mod bios.

all proper good chips hav pretty much reached a level where they are essentially the same - they only hold the interchangable bios's that perform the modchip functions, so the difference mainly is
-the type and size of bios and number of bios's that can b held, and flash protection you will want too.

all in all... i would say get a xecuter or xenuim chip soldered
(as opposed to pogo pinned if u can help it) and all apps
loaded on - done

and the latest bios of course which usually happens

for whack loads of info check http://www.xbox-scene.com
and the respected sites on main page for the latest chips
and bios's

people have tried to sell me "disco" chips or flash my original bios for $$$, for f^&ks sake and i just laugh at them and tell them to where to stick it

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 01:08]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where is this "stealthmods" and where do i find them ?
i'm assuming it will void your xbox warranty ????
and if i get a bigger hard drive will i lose the stuff off my old one ?
I've been looking into doing this myself for sometime now and it seemed the only way to do it was to do it myself.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh, does this stealthmods person/people charge $60 to install it, or is that supplied and installed? cause if thats just installed, i would rather try it myself, firstly cause im a tight ass and secondly cause i enjoy messing with things. Smile

i was already thinking about the xecuter chip, just looked on their aus website and to buy the V3.0 its $95, or the 2.6 is $80. is there much diff?

since the chip voids the warranty, should i just buy an xbox second hand? i pretty much just want it for halo 1 and 2. so i mean if i got the chip plus a bigger HD i could just have them on the HD and be set, right?
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stealthmods supply and install the chip for $60. They have a range of chips too if there's a particular one you want (like xecuter).

I just grabbed these details off their website:

enquiries: 0410 488 206
bookings: 0414 799 281
email: sales@stealthmods.com

Took them about 1 hour when I dropped off my xbox to them. They did it while I watched/waited.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 08:26]

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't do it yourself, and don't get an executer..... Had 3 of them fail already.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, i have seen a few in the trading post for cheap
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: xbox q's Tue, 07 December 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could be writing pages of info and history from 101010100101
to divx encoding but you will need to do the research yourself
and see what you want...

recommendations :

do not get your original bios flashed for cheap

do not get a pogo pin modchip for cheap, get a soldered one

do not attempt it yourself, much cheaper for a pro installer
for installing hardware and software - it'll work 1st time

get a decent generation4 or generation3 chip

dont get a cheapmod or a copy/fake chip

get a hdd whilst u at it 120gb is economical if u want more games, cache optional

all up around $150 for latest chip installed with apps, 120gb+ hdd around $150 installed

check if the installer is genuine - not like "yeah mate latest
and greatest disco chip from japan plays everything its got
it all, its the best, everything and its only $50 special"

any ques welcome

http://www.xbox-scene.com - a LOT of info

[Updated on: Tue, 07 December 2004 12:41]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: xbox q's Thu, 09 December 2004 05:27 Go to previous message
joorsh, do you know what chip they do that costs $60? sounds pretty cheap, might be worth while getting a HD off you, giving it to them and getting them to do that at the same Smile

although i am gonna be checkin out the TP for maybe one already done second hand cause im not that fussed, or maybe wait till right after xmas? might be some going cheap then.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bouncer stories part 3
Next Topic:My Switching Speakers Box-Typed Thingy (TM)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 22:07:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15187311172485 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.