Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tracky
Newcomer

December 2004
Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 15:56 Go to next message
Hello Smile I have a problem with my starter motor, or the wiring, or something. Basically, as the title says, the negative terminal on the battery starts smoking when I turn the key to start the car. The starter motor makes a click then a whiney noise, and the negative terminal starts smoking after just a few seconds.

As a bit of background, I have just finished putting this 4k into my KE15 sprinter, after cracking the head on the original k engine. As far as I know the new engine is ok, and the starter motor was working when I tested it out of the car. What could be causing it to do this? I have a multimeter (very little idea how to use it Confused ) which registers 12v on the wire going to the starter.
  Send a private message to this user    
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the car actually starts but you noticed the neg terminal smokes?
tracky
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the car doesn't start. The starter motor clicks, and actually there is no noise after that (I must have imagined the humming.. it was 2:00am or something Razz), just a click as it engages.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
upgrade the earth from the battery to chassis to engine/gearbox to at least a 4 guage wire. make sure all the lugs are onto clean metal (not just the bolt earthing it).

what voltage does your battery show with the multimeter?
tracky
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The battery shows 12v. The wires connecting the battery to the earth and engine earth are all the original wires, which I never had a problem with. Another thing which may be relevant is the starter motor itself is different from my original starter motor. On my original there is a single electrial tab for the switch and a large bolt for the main current, however on my new starter motor there are 2 tabs, one marked "SW" the other marked "C". In the car itself there is only 1 plug for the single tab on the original starter. I'm wondering what this second tab is for and if it might be related? When I tested the starter motor before putting it in I only needed one tab connected, and the starter motor turned on ok, so I don't really think this is related.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for the smoking... Check your wiring...
It sounds like something is backwards

As for the ticking, it sounds like you don't have enough power in the battery to crank over the starter motor...
tracky
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm the battery was on the charger all night, and it's showing it as being fully charged. I can leave the battery connected and nothing starts smoking until I turn the key and hold it. I have put the battery in backwards once so I know what thats like Shocked
pheonix83
Regular

June 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Sun, 12 December 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like your starter is drawing too much current for the leads, upgrade the leads or check your starter
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The terminal is probably just dirty or loose. The smoke will be caused from a poor connection creating heat.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bet stewart knows the answer

*awaits his post*
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smoking caused by heat caused by too much current...

too much current caused by too little resistance

too little resistance from
- short in circuit
- faulty component
- circuit capacity too small

check all wiring and connections
- shorts
- bad connections
- polarity

upgrade battery earth
- to chassis
- to engine block

seeing since one of the biggest (power) circuits in your car is
the starter motor circuit it needs large gauge wires to
carry all the current, like 4 gauge. maybe ur wires arnt big
enough and then they will smoke.

on a side note thats why you dont crank the engine over forever cos its starts to smoke the wires > heat > current very large.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 December 2004 01:53]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmak has hit the head on the nail.

Resistance in high current circuits causes heat! More current = more heat! More heat = smoke!
Probable cause is the battery connection being loose or there is corrosion build up between the terminal and the connection causing resistance.
tracky
Newcomer

December 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for your help Smile I'll try these suggestions and see how it goes.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would HIGHLY recommend replacing the original starter cable with something like Jaycar 4gauge wire (or a commercially made cable)

then ALSO CHANGE the alternator charge wire (that originally went to the starter motor terminal) to maybe 8 gauge, and route it directly to the battery.

i agree with others, clean the battery terminals, make sure they have good connection.

oh, and have a VERY close look at the starter motor...

once i used a KE70 starer motor with heat shield, but thru vibration and fatigue, the strap, holding the starter motors heat shield tight, broke, resulting in the heat shield rotating and touching the fat exposed wire from solenoid to starter motor... when i turned key to start, large puff of smoke and the copper wire melted clean thru.. and the shield lost some metal too... and became fused to other parts Wink

so yeah, cheakc that first.. check that the starter cable is not earthing anywhere at the points near where it bolts onto the starter motor.., then check batt terminals...

Cya, Stewart
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might sound stupid but you havnt earth your engine off the starter have you where its possibly touching the power wires. I know someone who have ran power wires to earths and it caused him to fry 3 ecu systems before someone who knew what they were doing looked at it.
RA40Celica
Regular

June 2002
  chris_rg@jabber.org
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive had this problem, its just high reistance causing more heat (like Cool1 said), clean the connections around the earth lead. and maybe get a new earth lead.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Negative terminal smokes when I try to start car (ke15 corolla) Mon, 13 December 2004 10:18 Go to previous message
tracky wrote on Mon, 13 December 2004 09:40

Hmm the battery was on the charger all night, and it's showing it as being fully charged. I can leave the battery connected and nothing starts smoking until I turn the key and hold it. I have put the battery in backwards once so I know what thats like Shocked

I nearly cried yesterday after doing that... Thank f'uck for fuses...
Luckily only damage was a 10amp fuse to the radio blew... Did it in a VX Commo... I shit meself... No one knew why I was so stressed out... It is soo damn scary when you put stuff in the wrong way and it goes SPARK SPARK SPARK "Wierd smell" *Wire really hot even though not connected*
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone done any bumper repairs before?
Next Topic:2t into kingswood
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 03:37:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.018095016479492 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.