Toymods » Tech & Conversions » strange lock up problem

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chubbylover53
Regular

April 2003
icon5.gif  strange lock up problem Mon, 13 December 2004 08:08 Go to next message
i have recently upgraded my brakes from standard corona solid discs to fully vented all-round. I put ma61 rears on the back and RA65 vented brake setup on the front. After changing the brakes over i have been experiencing lockups on the front left and with a little bit more pressure the front right also locks up. I'm worried because it doesn't take much to get the wheel locked up which drastically effects the braking quality. can anyone tell me what may be causing the problem, cause after the past few rainy days i have been getting a lil bit scared to drive.

thanks for your help Crying or Very Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: strange lock up problem Mon, 13 December 2004 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might wanna check out the proportioning valve. just strip it down and clean it out. might not be the problem but all it will cost you is a bottle of brake fluid and some time. that was the problem with my brakes locking up too easily, it was cause the proportioning valve was letting fluid to the back so the back brakes werent working at all. worth a look.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: strange lock up problem Tue, 14 December 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you change the brake bias valve since you did the upgrade, you might need to fit an adjustable one to find the right proportions.
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: strange lock up problem Tue, 14 December 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you checked that the pistons and sliders are freely moving in the front calipers? A problem there could be causing a brake imbalance. Also are all discs and pads of matching condition, are they matching pairs? Either new or in good condition if secondhand. I'm not trying to insult you with this question, but I actually met a guy a while back who told me that his car was behaving badly after changing his front passengers disc. I didnt even bother to try and explain. Hope this helps.
chubbylover53
Regular

April 2003
Re: strange lock up problem Tue, 14 December 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing nah i'm not that stupid. i got all new pads for it. how much would one of those adjustable brake bia valves cost and where abouts is the old one located ( it's an RT142 ) so i can do what EVOSTI said and see if that helps.

thancks for your help
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: strange lock up problem Tue, 14 December 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either one the drivers strut tower or on the firewall. follow the pipes from the M/C and they should go to a valve in either of the above mentioned places. sometimes the proprtioning valve is part of the M/C but usually not.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: strange lock up problem Tue, 14 December 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you had drums on the rear as std originally then you will need to change the brake prop valve to one from a 4 wheel disk braked car.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: strange lock up problem Tue, 14 December 2004 15:44 Go to previous message
sounds OK to me except for the difference between left & right, unless you're writing about it SUDDENLY locking up with out warning/extra pedal pressure.
that's what the brakes are supposed to do when pushed hard.
if the rears were doing it, then it'd be serious.
the valve is only to put a limit on rear pressure & prevent their early lockup.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Carbies for 74 Celica
Next Topic:m series engine repair
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 00:29:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.033746957778931 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.