Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Getting brake lines off....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 02:18 Go to next message
I'm trying to pull off my old (and shitty) front calliper from the brake line, and it's fucking locked in there solid, it's quite annoying actually.

Anyone got any good pointers on how to get these fucking things off? The ones off my ra60 struts came off piece of piss!
But these are like rusted tight Sad

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a ringspanner (instead of open-ended 8/9mm thing) or hefty vicegrips and give it some lurv with a hammer.

the later obviously requires replacment of the line afterwards.

oh... soak the connection in wd40 or similar - go off and have beer/smoke/snack while stuff penetrates.
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do i get a ring spanner over an enclosed line? Razz

i'm trying the wd40 + vicegrips + hammer Laughing
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can't get ring spanners around it because of the line, there are special spanners that are like ring spanners, but have a notch cut out so you can get it onto the line.

http://www.es-international.nl/TOOLS/Ring%20en%20steek/open_end_spanners300.JPG
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt_84 wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 13:33

If you can't get ring spanners around it because of the line, there are special spanners that are like ring spanners, but have a notch cut out so you can get it onto the line.

http://www.es-international.nl/TOOLS/Ring%20en%20steek/open_end_spanners300.JPG

oh? funky!
i'm getting myself some ratchet spanners as soon as the paycheck goes in thursday... Very Happy
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't forget to put vice grips on the brake line spanners or else they will expand and then they will slip
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always do brake lines in two steps:

1. Pipe spanner
2. Small stilson, for when pipe spanner fails
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Sun, 19 December 2004 21:04

1. Pipe spanner
2. Small stilson, for when pipe spanner fails

you forgot steps 3-7:cut off pipe with bolt cutters, melt out remains of alloy fitting with oxy torch, throw hot cast-iron caliper into dog's water dish to cool it down, borrow mates car to go to wreckers to get another caliper
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit, thats a bit extreme, though I'm sure your local wrecker knows about your procedures and keeps calipers in stock just for you?!!! Razz

If you don't have pipe spanners, you can still use open spanners to do the job, though the quality of spanner will determine the effectiveness - cheaper weak spanners will flex and slip, over better quality items. place the correct sized spanner over the nut and use a hammer to "Shock" the thread, while applying moderate force to the spanner, by hitting the spanner on the side of the head. Your aim is not to move the spanner with the hammer blow, but rather provided a snap increase in force applied to the nut to break it's hold.

You can also use this procedure with flexible brake lines, by holding the joiner with the two appropriate spanners in one hand, while applying force and hitting the side of the smaller spanner head with the hammer.

If this technique doesn't work, use multigrips to break the hold, though this will damage the nut, but if done correctly with enough force, not enough to render the nut unusable - you'll need good hand and forearm strength to do this successfully though.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Getting brake lines off.... Sun, 19 December 2004 13:00 Go to previous message
Hmm, I've never had a failure with the stilson. So much more effective than spanners, multigrips, etc.!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ive got a question
Next Topic:4AGZE ke70 gearbox diff etc
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 22:39:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063638687133789 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.