Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Intake Noise Wed, 15 December 2004 23:14 Go to next message
I have a problem with a whistle type sounds as I hit boost, sounds like an intake sound. Enginge is the 3sgte in the grpA.

My house mate agrees with the description of the sound...but we cant narrow it down much further (no boost in nuetral makes it hard to stick your head under and listen)

There was a build up of carbon around the outake of the turbo (that short little pipe that links turbo to intercooler). We cleaned that off and I have driven 100km since and there has been no additional build up since. The noise however may have been happening for a while as I cant hear it with the windows up, and proir to my 6 week holiday it wasn't windows down weather.

Any idea how else we can diagnose this leak (if it is in fact a leak)

Help would be much appreciated!
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check:
-Piece of pipe from the turbo to the intercooler for cracks.
-Rubber flange from throttle body to intercooler for cracks.
-Gaskets. head to exhaust manifold, exh. manifold to turbo, turbo to downpipe. Check all these are in good condition.
Quite often if the gasket has blown out you can see a little bit of carbon where the gasket has blown out.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 11:11

Check:
-Piece of pipe from the turbo to the intercooler for cracks.
-Rubber flange from throttle body to intercooler for cracks.
-Gaskets. head to exhaust manifold, exh. manifold to turbo, turbo to downpipe. Check all these are in good condition.
Quite often if the gasket has blown out you can see a little bit of carbon where the gasket has blown out.

There was a carbon buildup on the turbo from the turbo-intercooler pipe. After cleaning how long untill I would expect it to take for this to re-appear?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends what it is from... I wouldn't have thought you would see enough carbon to cause concern on the intake side of the turbo.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There was enough carbon there to cause concern, about 3 50c peices worth - reasonably dark, but it hasn't re-appeared. yet.

Im guessing that because it is on the intake side, the leak may have been there for a while, and I only just noticed...
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive heard this whistle that you describe on another car. Didnt disapear till the pipe work was all rearranged just becuase of located things that dwell within it. After that was done it went away. So that suggests to me that it was some sort of leak so as Toobs said check it all out, even if you just replace it with something temp just to see if something that looks suspect is actaully the problem.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who has the EPC, can someone tell me what part no that pipe is??

I will get on the phone to my housemate (handy he works for toyota) and get him to grab me one, will replace it tomorrow!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Thu, 16 December 2004 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it is intake gaskets, because I cant see anthing obvious, and surely if it was I would be able to hear a noise when it is in vacuum?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Intake Noise Fri, 17 December 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just because you had some carbon in your intake doesn't mean this noise is coming from there.
If a gasket blows it will usually be on the exhaust side of the turbo... most likely the gasket between the turbo and exh manifold.
A severe gasket blow will make your car sound and drive like a whipper snipper
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Mon, 20 December 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I gave up...time for someone with a clue to look at it. Very early indications are a crack/hole in the intercooler.

This doesn't make a heap of sense to me as the fluid isn't dropping at all. But it does bubble when you open it and the engine is running (obiovusly i only do this when the engine is cold. Razz )

Well I should know more by tomorrow lunchtime, this should dent the treasury!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Intake Noise Mon, 20 December 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To make a hole in the cooler there would have to be some foreign debris made its way through (or from) the turbo... if that was the case your turbo is probably f'cked.

Seems unlikely to me... but then so does the carbon deposit.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Mon, 20 December 2004 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I assume he meant an internal crack - which at a guess would mean that the turbo is venting through intercooler cap, which is consistant with the noise always appearing at the same level of boost.
SXer
Regular

May 2002
Re: Intake Noise Tue, 21 December 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, I think you may be confusing the radiator and the intercooler. One is full of coolant, one is full on compressed air.
Checking the radiator is not likely to help you find a hole in the intercooler.

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Tue, 21 December 2004 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, I think you are confusing a Air to Air Inter cooler and a Air to Water Inter cooler. With the Air to water, which the grpA has, what I said makes sense!

I'm no mechanic, but I do know what goes on under the bonnet Smile

But it wasn't, it was a cracked intake pipe, All fixed. I don't feel bad I couldn't find it, it took my mechanic 3 hours and had to remove the inter cooler, more than I was willing to do!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Intake Noise Wed, 22 December 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Wed, 22 December 2004 09:38

Dude, I think you are confusing a Air to Air Inter cooler and a Air to Water Inter cooler. With the Air to water, which the grpA has, what I said makes sense!

I'm no mechanic, but I do know what goes on under the bonnet Smile

But it wasn't, it was a cracked intake pipe, All fixed. I don't feel bad I couldn't find it, it took my mechanic 3 hours and had to remove the inter cooler, more than I was willing to do!

Cracked intake pipe ay... which one?
Reminds me... gotta fix that damned PCV hose thats split on mine... stupid toyota discontinuing parts!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Intake Noise Wed, 22 December 2004 03:16 Go to previous message
The one between the turbo and the intercooler - short 2 inch thingy. The slpit was tiny, near invisible to the naked eye, but under boost it would open up.

Also a vacuum hose for the power steering was contributing to the noise...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Replacement 7M-GE, Need Advice!!!
Next Topic:turbo manifold designs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 09:03:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060050487518311 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.