Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Welders..Which one to get ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cazzaboy
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Welders..Which one to get ? Tue, 28 December 2004 12:59 Go to next message
Well its come time for me to buy myself a welder. Ive previously been using my bro-inlaws gasless mig (SIP 90amp gasless) and have achieved decent results without being great ( Works well with sheet metal but the penetration is pretty crap when trying to weld anything decent.

I started looking at a Toolex ( made by SIP in Italy) welder at gasweld at they could sell me a 120Amp model (gas / gasless) for $529 ( which got me thinking maybe this is too cheap). So I got talking to some guys at BOC gases ( customers as well). They were telling me that the cheap mig welders are crap (anything under 220amp) and I should look at a decent stick welder.

They refered me to another place that sells these cool little DC inverter MMA ( Manual Metal Arc) welders. Ive never had much luck with arc welders in the past and this one looked way too small to weld anything. The owner came out and took one out the back and got me to weld with it. Much to suprise it was easy to use and the penetration was brilliant. Not to mention that you can put a TIG attachment on and use it as a TIG welder as well! The price tag for this little beast is $800. Im starting to think I should shell out the extra dosh and get one of these

These are the 2 models that I have been looking at. The pictured mig is actually a SIP but the toolex is exactly the same....
The MMA / TIG that im looking at is the kemppi 110amp on the left
http://members.iinet.net.au/~c.southall/mig.jpg
http://members.iinet.net.au/~c.southall/mma.gif
  Send a private message to this user    
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest i reckon id never spend anything lower that $700 now on a welder as the last stick one i bought cost me $350 and i can weld pipe and shit fine but anything less than 2mm thick it burns holes in it. i think you should look around a bit more and if so do some testing and find one that suits you. like i hate sticks but i love tigs and migs i reckon it comes down to practice and wot you like. but for me the next welder i am gunna buy will be a $750 mig..

andrew.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like "liquid-arc" products because they have continuously variable voltage and wire speed.

mine is a maxmig200, 200A model.. weighs a shitload, and if they still made them would retail for around $2-3K.

it really depends what you are doing with it. if you are doing panels, you'll likely need 0.6mm wire, and a continuously varible machine, otherwise you'll blow holes..

if you are only welding 10mm thick plate, you'll need something different.

if i was to buy a machine again, i'd be going for a DC TIG in the 2-3K range, with around 200amp capacity (have a look at the duty cycle also, no point having a 200 amp machine that has a 15% duty cycle at 100amps Razz )

there ar a lot of good welding shops, but my recent one is mascot welding supplies?(i think) (off gardeners road)
Cya, Stewart

ps, and gasless bites.. welding with gas is sooo much better.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and if you can, don't get a tweco (sp?) gun as the tips are not stocked as often.. can still get them, but the other gun type is far more popular (even tho i like my tweco gun Wink )
Cazzaboy
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow I didnt expect to get replies this time of the morning Smile

Cool I might check out Mascot welding supplies and see what they have..

The Kemppi that I looked at does 110amps @ 50% duty cycle

Im just a home handyman and will probebly use the welder for general repairs around the house, and hopefully to make engine mounts for engine conversions.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Tue, 28 December 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WELDERS SUPPLIES & SERVICES PTY LTD
Rosebery 90 -92 Dunning Ave 2018 (02) 9313 8000
Fax (02) 9313 8605
Brookvale 19 Ada Ave 2100 (02) 9907 4181
Fax (02) 9907 3877
Revesby 2 Fitzpatrick St 2212 (02) 9773 5666
Fax (02) 9773 5577

i don't know of that brand (i don't know of that many brands Wink ) but have a chat to these guys (actual name above Wink ) and see what they can suggest.

when you say general house repairs, what thickness material are you thinking?

for engine mounts, the metal will be around 4mm thick, and even a stick could do it, but a mig/tig is cleaner.

a gas bottle is about $100 a year to rent, but fill is maybe $30-50? (for argoshield)

heh heh, like toymodders have anything better to do Razz

Cya, Stewart
Cazzaboy
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, I'll check these guys out too, thanks for the info once again

Quote:

when you say general house repairs, what thickness material are you thinking?

Just want to build a bench for the garage (the frame is made from 50x50x2.0 RHS). Ive got a office chair that needs a bit of weld around the base. Need to repair some rust in the base of the lawn mower.. Nothing too exciting

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Wed, 29 December 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would go for the stick/tig combination unit you mentioned. If you are just doing general steel welding you wont need to worry about the costs of gas/wire, only filler rods. As long as you aren't welding really think stuff it should be fine. If you ever do want to weld thin material, you can use the tig attachements to weld thin steel/other materials.
Cazzaboy
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Wed, 29 December 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, thats what im thinking now

Does anyone know what a tig attachment would cost for a machine like this ?

Im still waiting for some time off work so I can do some welder shopping Smile
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Welders..Which one to get ? Fri, 31 December 2004 07:36 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 00:20

and if you can, don't get a tweco (sp?) gun as the tips are not stocked as often.. can still get them, but the other gun type is far more popular (even tho i like my tweco gun Wink )

Local bunnings has CIG tweco tips off the shelf, they happen to fit my Magnum 100L gun that came with my lincoln Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cheap way to boost motorbike?
Next Topic:HELP SOMEONE HHHEEELLLPPPP!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 3 13:52:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042140483856201 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.