Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
heywood1981
Occasional Poster

January 2005
icon13.gif  85 supra Mon, 03 January 2005 06:24 Go to next message
heya all, looking for some advice from people who might have 'been there, done that'
i got an 85 supra, bought 2 years ago. well 2 months after i bought it shit hit the fan. ran like shit, blew smoke on startup, oil radiator. took it off the road, saved $$$, pulled it apart, put new head gasket in and tidied it up in preparation to fuck it off. well got about 3 weeks out of it b4 it happened again, just worse. i know my heads corroded but only a little bit, gasket will be fucked again! found another engine for it, 770 but want to know whether its really worth getting another one that i cant really trust, or recondition the head, just sick of spending money on it! bodies great, everythings great, just the engine. also its not the original engine, so who knows whats going on. cant even get a proper answer to what my engines even meant to look like, mines a SOHC 2.8 inline six, but some say there meant to be a DOHC. any help, advice would be great
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 85 supra Mon, 03 January 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5me is the correct engine mate - 2.8L SOHC....

either replace the motor or put a later model supra motor in it like a 7mge/7mgte/1jzgte....

7mge is a pretty straighforward swap imo...
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 85 supra Mon, 03 January 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you came to the right place. Also http://www.celicasupra.com .

Go 7MGTE, good for 300-400 rwhp. If you do have to spend money anyway, why not?
heywood1981
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 85 supra Mon, 03 January 2005 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the thing, love the car, but can't really afford to spend heaps on it, i'd love a 3 ltr turbo, but really lack the knowledge and know how!
plus living in a small town doesnt help

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2005 06:55]

buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: 85 supra Mon, 03 January 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best idea would be to get an estimate on how much it would cost to fix the original engine or the cost and tidy up of the replacement your mentioned then ring a few import places and see what you can get for around that money. 7M is a tried,true and from what I've read easy conversion, 1J & 2J are not all that difficult (almost finished mine) but require a few extra bits and peices. Best thing is to do your research here and weigh up the different options. And remember there are heaps of guys on here that will help you out if you have any trouble.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 85 supra Mon, 03 January 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depending from what you want and how much you want to spend is also a costing facter. When I blew my 5M-E, I had my reasons to keep it original Rolling Eyes but if you have a chance to upgrade to a 7M or JZ series of engines, it will be good as those engines are designed to run the current unleaded petrol and are more fuel efficient motors (with more power) then with the 5M.

Cheers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 85 supra Tue, 04 January 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as already said, your best choice would be a 7mge/gte or a jz series engine of some sort..

but if you don't have the money, time or car for spending a few grand on the engine, a worthwhile upgrade would be the 5mge (same as current engine, but DOHC, and about 40 more hp)

they came out stock in supras everywhere but in aus, and we got them in mx73 cressidas. one would slot in quite easily, from what i've been told, and give a fair bit more power, while keeping the "originality" of it- and compared with the other engine options, they are fairly cheap...

but hope that helps. if you haven't done anything in a few months, hopefully i will have pulled out my 5me (140,000kms) and you can have that for a very meager price Very Happy
heywood1981
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 85 supra Tue, 04 January 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys for the help! I've had a look and there not much difference in paying for an old engine compared to a newer 3ltr or there abouts! I think I'm just gonna have to buy shit in bits (apart from engine) and just park it in the shed till i get the cash up front! its been sitting there for one year, whats another goona hurt, lol!
Just wish i was in adelaide or melb where theres guys close by who have done this. any questions I have, you'll hear from me or any help u can give, its appreciated Very Happy
also any notes about storing a car in a shed for a good 9-12 months would be helpful, dont want the body falling apart!
also, is there a good non turbo engine to put in, as i'd rather not the hassle of a turbo if possible, just happy with putting a 5 speed in it and a better engine!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 85 supra Tue, 04 January 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heywood1981 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 21:50

thanks guys for the help! I've had a look and there not much difference in paying for an old engine compared to a newer 3ltr or there abouts! I think I'm just gonna have to buy shit in bits (apart from engine) and just park it in the shed till i get the cash up front! its been sitting there for one year, whats another goona hurt, lol!
Just wish i was in adelaide or melb where theres guys close by who have done this. any questions I have, you'll hear from me or any help u can give, its appreciated Very Happy
also any notes about storing a car in a shed for a good 9-12 months would be helpful, dont want the body falling apart!
also, is there a good non turbo engine to put in, as i'd rather not the hassle of a turbo if possible, just happy with putting a 5 speed in it and a better engine!

Buy a 7MGE out of an mx83 cressida...it literally botls in with no modifications to the car or engine mounts at all...
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 85 supra Tue, 04 January 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the sump? dont you have to use the 5m sump?
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: 85 supra Tue, 04 January 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

A 2JZGE is also an option. Here is a link to a site with some info on that conversion
http://www.norbie.net/ifli4u/project2j.html The only real difficult thing in using a JZ series engine is finding a Front Sump, and a JZ bellhousing for the gearbox. If you can get those parts then it should not be to hard.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 85 supra Tue, 04 January 2005 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 22:22

Buy a 7MGE out of an mx83 cressida...it literally botls in with no modifications to the car or engine mounts at all...

While it's true the block will bolt right in, it's a bit misleading to suggest the conversion is a simple matter of bolting it in! There is a great deal more to an engine conversion than physically installing a block, as you should be well aware by now...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 85 supra Wed, 05 January 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buccy wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 22:08

A 2JZGE is also an option. Here is a link to a site with some info on that conversion
http://www.norbie.net/ifli4u/project2j.html The only real difficult thing in using a JZ series engine is finding a Front Sump, and a JZ bellhousing for the gearbox. If you can get those parts then it should not be to hard.

A 5 speed 1UZFE is also an option...
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: 85 supra Wed, 05 January 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 11:00

buccy wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 22:08

A 5 speed 1UZFE is also an option...

Ahh yes how could I forget. If I was doing mine again this is probably the way I would go.
heywood1981
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 85 supra Sat, 08 January 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i think i've been talked into getting a 7mge instead of the 5me. Still have to wait a while till i can do it though. Anyone got any good resources to look up about the '5me - 7mge conversion'? found a good site about putting a 5spd in my supra, so 1/2 way there Very Happy any help would be good! any tips, no matter how small would be great, as all the tech i've got is as a 1st year fitter
buccy
Regular

July 2004
Re: 85 supra Sat, 08 January 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are a couple of sites. Don't forget to search the forums here as well tons of info on it.
http://www.celicasupra.com/7mgte
http://andy.supras.org.nz/
This site has a forum with tons of info too.
http://www.celicasupra.com
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 85 supra Sat, 08 January 2005 10:30 Go to previous message
Hey, if you need an extra set of hands to put the engine in, or maybe some wiring help (ie. get the thing running...) then I can probably lend a hand! Nice colour btw Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT104 Diff into TA22 - Possible?
Next Topic:OBDII Socket On A RAV4?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 06:42:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11441922187805 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.