Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dorikin ichiban
Regular

July 2002
3S-GTE RWD Tue, 30 July 2002 23:43 Go to next message
Does anyone out here have a 3S-GTE setup in RWD and is driven daily?

I'm keen to see how reliable it is.
  Send a private message to this user    
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would it be any less reliable than a 4WD 3S-GTE??
If it's because of the sump/oil pickup, look at the "Fraser" cars, non of them have problems??

My 2c worth
dorikin ichiban
Regular

July 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was just curious to see if there are any common problems.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only problem I know of is breaking gearboxes and diffs Very Happy
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John
I have been running a 3SGTE in my TA22 for a couple of years now and had none of out of the ordinary problems that any RWD car has , I have my boost set on 23psi and is my every day driven car , on the weekends when the drags are on I drive to the strip and race in full street trim pulling 12.3 sec @ 120mph , I have had no gearbox or diff probs , The 3SGTE has plenty of torque down low which makes it very good to drive around town .

Trevor
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey trevor

May i ask how much the 3s-gte conversion cost u all up for everything ????

How much work was needed to fulfill the conversion ??

ta mate

[Updated on: Wed, 31 July 2002 11:25]

TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manipulate
I can't realy put a cost on it as I done the complete conversion myself over time and with a few dollars hear and a few dollars there you never realy keep count so I would have no idea how much it all cost , sorry not much help with cost !!!

Here is a bit of info I'v been putting together , not finnished yet but it may help .

My conversion putting a 3SGTE into a TA22 Celica

Motor 3SGTE out of ST165 Celica
Gearbox W57
Bellhousing 2S from SA 63 Celica
Sump 2S
Oil Pickup 2S
Flywheel 2S
Clutch/presure plate 2S
Starter 2S
Alternator bracket 2S
Engine Mounts 2S/2T
Turbo ST165 Group A
Exhaust Manifold Custom
Inlet Menifold Custom
Computer Haltech E6S
Diff Hilux LSD
Intercooler ST185 Celica ( Air to Air )
Coils Direct Fire from 4AGZE
Cam Covers ST162 3SGE
Radiator TA22
Fuel Pump VL Turbo
Tail Shaft Custom
Fan Thermo
Exhaust 2 1/2" mandral

1/ Flywheel
The 3SGTE flywheel sits closer to the block than the rear wheel drive 2S which means the input shaft does not sit into the sprigot bearing , the throughout bearing near hangs off the guide tube and the clutch plate does not slide onto the input shaft spline far enough , also the ringgear has a larger diameter than the 2S so the starter would need to be moved outwards about 5mm .
The 2S flywheel has a 6 bolt pattern and the 3SGTE has a 8 bolt pattern , so what I did was redrilled the 2S flywheel to 8 bolt , to do this I tapped 4 of the holes with a 1/2 unf thread and pluged these with 1/2 unf allthread , 2 of the holes in the 2S flywheel already line up and another 2 can be clean drilled but the other 4 holes come half and half so pluging these made it posible to redrill .
I have been told the 3SGTE clutch , presure plate & flywheel can be used by getting about 5mm machined off the face of the bellhousing ( this 5mm machining does not fix the starter problem as the starter needs to be moved outwards from the crank ).

2/ Intake Manifold
The intake manifold sits to high and will not alow the bonnet to close , I cut the manifold about 90mm from the face and welded on a new plenum made out of 3" thick wall aluminium tube and fitted the throttle body at the front aiming down a little , I cut a hole between the radiator and headlight for the intercooler plumbing to connect to the throttle body .

3/ Exhaust Manifold
The original manifold cannot be used as the starter is in the way of the turbo and the turbo would also be sitting back to front .
I made a manifold out of 1 1/4" steam pipe and bends . I made the dump out of 15mm plate and 3" mandrel pipe , this 3" dump extends down to just under the car an than reduces to 2 1/2 mandrel for the rest of the exhaust system with a 3" straight through stainless muffler behind the diff .
I faced the compressor outlet down towards the bottom and made the plumbing to exit through the bottom of the radiator support panel where I had cut a hole and connect to the ST185 intercooler .

4/ Engine Mounts
The 2S mounts bolt onto the left side of the block but on the right side there is only two holes in the block so I bolted the mount onto these two holes and welded some brackets onto the rear side of the mount which extended towards the back of the block where there is another two holes . I drilled out the spot welds on the mounting plates on the crossmember so these mounting plates can be moved , I bolted the rubber mounts to the mounting plates then modified the 2S mounts as for the TA22 rubber mounts would bolt onto them , now with the mounts bolted up I positioned the motor to where it had to sit then rewelded the mounting plates back onto the crossmember , The correct position for the motor is about 85 to 90mm measured from the rear of the head to the firewall and with about 20mm clearance from the sump to the crossmember .

5/ Alternator
I used the alternator bracket off the 2S which sits on the r/h side under the intake , the 2S alt mount will need a bit grinded off the bottom to bolt on .

6/ Cooling system
I used the TA22 radiator but had to move the top spout to the left side then used a long hose to go to the rear of the motor where I had made a rear water outlet out of 1 1/4 " steam bends and pipe , this outlet consists of a 90 degree facing out to the left then 90 upwards and then another 90 to face the outlet forward at a hight to run the hose along the side of the cam cover , I brassed a couple of fittings into this outlet and fitted the temp gauge sender and the water temp sensor , I searched around and found a couple of hoses and a stainless joiner to make the bottom hose . Then fitted a thermo fan to the radiator .

7/ Ignition System
The original distributor can be used by just removing the cap and rotor button then cutting the rotor button shaft off level with the pickup rotor and making a short cover to fit back on , this will give enough clearance to the firewall , the cover must be made of a non magnetic material such as aluminium or plastic as not to upset the magnetic pickups . the distributor can now be used and configured with an aftermarket ECU to run direct fire system , I used two direct fire coils from a 4AGZE and two toyota igniters , I bolted a length of 1' RHS between the shocky towers and mounted the coils off this .

Trevor
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow
thanx for that
much appreciated

the 3s-gte is one of my engine choices...so that helps alot
dorikin ichiban
Regular

July 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trevor

Thanks for that, what Gen motor are you using and are the internals still stock (because you're running 23psi).

3S definately looks the way to go.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! Trevor, do you mind me turning that into a tech article?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE RWD Wed, 31 July 2002 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow. What a great reply. How to RWD your 3SGTE in 1000 words or less. Very Happy
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Thu, 01 August 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark
Yes that's ok and when I get around to finishing the article I will email the rest to you so you can update it in the tech articles ,thanks .

dorikin ichiban
I am using the 1st gen GT4 motor out of a ST165 with all stock internals putting out 237KW @ the wheels on 23psi .

Trevor
dorikin ichiban
Regular

July 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Thu, 01 August 2002 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trevor: Jesus Christ!!!
I thought you had like a 3rd Gen, hmm maybe when I look for a 3S, I don't need to spend the extra $$$ to get a 3rd Gen.
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Mon, 19 August 2002 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was there any problems with the sump hitting the steering? I have been watching/helping with a TE71 3sgte conversion, and we had to convert to rack/p and then power rack to clear the sump. We are using factory ECU and dizzy tho, main problem was that clearance and for the water outlet on the back of the head punching into the fire wall..

ST185 3sgte with MR2 bits to help lots of 2s also Smile and custom made Flywheel.

Ben
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Mon, 03 January 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a Series 3 3SGE from 1995 caldina wagon 4wd in my AE85 trueno. The engine had factory shim under buckets and very nice ports, I rebuilt it, only raising the compression. I ran it from aftermarket ECU but am installing the factory ECU atm, will have a multicoil adapter from Anthony Kalam soon for it.

I cut the mounts off the crossmember flush and welded ST141 mounts on. I made a drivers side adapter plate like your TA22, altho my spare 3SGE from FWD Corona is series 2 but has the mount holes cast to the block!. I got a full custom steel flywheel as no one wanted to redrill my stock cast 2S one. I use brand new RAV4 flywheel bolts as there longer then all others of that size (series 2 and beyond use large diameter bolts). I run brass button clutch and W55 box with T18 T diff. Front brakes are vented with 3 deg neg camber. Huge custom extractors, 3 inch to cat, 2.5 after that. Massive twin core AE92 seca radiator that almost touches both chassis rails.

I am a little confused on the smaller water pipe routing as this engine was given to me cut out. The rear outlet is custom for RWD, the front inlet is modified to clear my passengers side altinator. This engine had factory water oil cooler on the block and filter in the 2 peice sump, I had to change pickup, sump and oil pump as series 3 is very different.

Anyways, the car will be for sale once running.

Some pics:-

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t1.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t2.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t3.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t4.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t5.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t6.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t7.jpg
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE RWD Mon, 03 January 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
foxtail wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 19:17

I have a Series 3 3SGE from 1995 caldina wagon 4wd in my AE85 trueno. The engine had factory shim under buckets and very nice ports, I rebuilt it, only raising the compression. I ran it from aftermarket ECU but am installing the factory ECU atm, will have a multicoil adapter from Anthony Kalam soon for it.

I cut the mounts off the crossmember flush and welded ST141 mounts on. I made a drivers side adapter plate like your TA22, altho my spare 3SGE from FWD Corona is series 2 but has the mount holes cast to the block!. I got a full custom steel flywheel as no one wanted to redrill my stock cast 2S one. I use brand new RAV4 flywheel bolts as there longer then all others of that size (series 2 and beyond use large diameter bolts). I run brass button clutch and W55 box with T18 T diff. Front brakes are vented with 3 deg neg camber. Huge custom extractors, 3 inch to cat, 2.5 after that. Massive twin core AE92 seca radiator that almost touches both chassis rails.

I am a little confused on the smaller water pipe routing as this engine was given to me cut out. The rear outlet is custom for RWD, the front inlet is modified to clear my passengers side altinator. This engine had factory water oil cooler on the block and filter in the 2 peice sump, I had to change pickup, sump and oil pump as series 3 is very different.

Anyways, the car will be for sale once running.

Some pics:-

http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t1.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t2.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t3.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t4.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t5.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t6.jpg
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/foxtail/pics/t7.jpg

Is that inlet manifold stock? And where abouts in Brisbane are you? I would love to have a look.
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Mon, 03 January 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The manifold normally sits on the rocker cover, i just cut it at the plenum and at the manifold and joined them.

sam_kaos@hotmail.com
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Mon, 03 January 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man that some surious power formteh stock 1st gen 3s-gte i got my gt-2 celica with the 2nd gen 3s-gte are u using the standrad turbo...i got to be high-flowed i'm guessing..but man that some power stock...fuck yeah i'm not holding bakc form 18psi, lol!

Nezza Cool
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE RWD Mon, 03 January 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GE_Man wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 23:40

man that some surious power formteh stock 1st gen 3s-gte i got my gt-2 celica with the 2nd gen 3s-gte are u using the standrad turbo...i got to be high-flowed i'm guessing..but man that some power stock...fuck yeah i'm not holding bakc form 18psi, lol!

Nezza Cool

Were you drunk when you wrote that?
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Tue, 04 January 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P. wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 22:28

3S-GE_Man wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 23:40

Nezza Cool

Were you drunk when you wrote that?

no, im pretty sure none of his posts make any sense... we usually need a translator.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Tue, 04 January 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow the trueno is finished hey? cool i'll have to look you up when i'm down next Cool Cool Cool woohoo hachigo!
-sara

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 12:20]

foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Tue, 04 January 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is the SA63 going sara?
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 3S-GTE RWD Tue, 04 January 2005 12:12 Go to previous message
expensive, engine nearly finished, bought house so that slows things abit Confused desi motor is it? your head covorlooks different,would you do that plenum again? are the port spacings the same as a gte i wonder

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 12:23]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ITB plenums
Next Topic:Flow vs. Pressure
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 23:26:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067460536956787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.