Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Inlet manifold designs Wed, 03 March 2004 12:42 Go to next message
Well i'm nearing the time to start getting a inlet manifold made for my 3S-GTE but i'm not sure how to get it made.
So does anyone have any good designs?

Any help? Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 03 March 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id design it - just a thought.
to have a rail with an extra injector in it. My dad's Vl commodore used to have 7 injectors, and it made a big difference.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 03 March 2004 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What made you decide to not to modify and use your existing one?
Or is my conception wrong?

And V8_MA61 how on earth is 7 injectors going to perform better? Is your dads commodore 7 cylinder Smile ? Dont you think that 1 right sized injector per 1 cylinder works best on most of the applications?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 03 March 2004 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The current manifold has the TB in the middle was as I need it on the end.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 03 March 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Large tube with internal bellmouths.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 03 March 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should the plenum be tapering, or is that less critical as it will be a forced induction setup?

I seem to remember plenum volume being an issue - something like 3x the engine capacity.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats what I was wondering about. I have seen alot plenums that taper off at the back. Also i'm not 100% sure what volume it should be as I have read of a few formulas to use.
Anyway, whats the idea of the bell-mouths? Got any pictures that can explain it?

Thanks
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you can, get a hold of Corky Bell's book on Turbos, as he covers most of your questions there.

The best design for the intake manifold is to have the T/B inlet in the middle, right where it is now.

There are successful manifolds either way, but there have been known problems for an inline engine with the T/B at the end !!

Cheers

Michael B
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An easy way to do it would be to use the original runers and weld on a new fabricated plenum per your specs.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That was the original plan, but the problem is that the runners turn directly up from the flange to put the plenum above the head.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jayem wrote on Thu, 04 March 2004 01:36

What made you decide to not to modify and use your existing one?
Or is my conception wrong?

And V8_MA61 how on earth is 7 injectors going to perform better? Is your dads commodore 7 cylinder Smile ? Dont you think that 1 right sized injector per 1 cylinder works best on most of the applications?

There is an extra injector for when the car comes under high boost. yes it does make a difference.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is the point of doing that when you can have 6 equal sized injectors doing a more accurate job? Sounds like a bandaid solution to me Rolling Eyes
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to throw more fuel in with the force of the turbos. Whats so difficult to understand about that?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Used to be the way it was done.....run a pressure regulated microcontroller - when intake pressure was X, the microcontroller switched on the injector. Bodgy, but it worked.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
obviously nissan/ holden with the police pursuit cars liked the idea...
my dads had a t04 with i/c though, made even more sense to have it in that case.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 March 2004 05:02]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh I understand how it works, it just doesn't seem as good an approach as having larger injectors handling whatever conditions the turbo was producing.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, microfuellers (aka 7th injectors) were popular back in the days when people didn't understand the benefits of upgrading the ECU and/or were too cheap to do the job properly. It's definitely very bodgy, you get into all sorts of problems with even fuel distribution, atomisation etc. For relatively low power it works OK, but if you want to make serious numbers it's a great way to blow up your engine.

These days you'd have rocks in your head to do it. Just upgrade your injectors to the required size and upgrade/modify the ECU to suit.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.eng.ed.ac.uk/~jchick/Y5/thesis/FormulaS tudent/public_html/pt7.htm

theres also a few threads here on toymods, but be damned if the shitty search engine can find any of them No No No
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=20269&rid=92&S=a6ede4e494b627b268fba5e92 d060950&pl_view=&start=0#msg_166769

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=26179&rid=92&S=a6ede4e494b627b268fba5e92 d060950&pl_view=&start=0#msg_226124

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 04 March 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok the plan so far is to have a tapered plenum with bellmouths internally and a volume of about 3x engine capacity.
What I need know now is what effect does the runner length have on performance, and how much should the plenum taper towards the rear?
Also can anyone point me towards some pictures of custom made manifolds that I may be able to get some ideas from?

Thanks
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 04 March 2004 10:33

If you can, get a hold of Corky Bell's book on Turbos, as he covers most of your questions there.

Is this the book your talking about: Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems
If so does it have pictures in it of inlet manifolds?

Thanks
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
long runers = low torque
short runners = higher torque

there IS a thread on here discussing runner length, belmouths and plenums. be fucked if i can find it. theres a heap of good links in there from memory...

ill just go check the old forums...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I remember seeing some threads on here about bell mouths and runner length, but the search feature isnt very friendly Sad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 11:21

long runers = low torque
short runners = higher torque

I have a dumb feeling it's the other way 'round.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, ill clarify:

long runners = good low rpm torque
short runners = lost low end torque but a mild improvement in high rpm torque
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just clarifying what ed_ma61 said is correct. I've read this numerous times.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The way I always remember it is the 3UZFE intake manifold. At low RPM it has to travel all around the piping before going into the engine whereas at high RPM the line of 8 throttles opens up and provides a short path for the air Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
long runners should also improve peak torque
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frank, if you want to remember it in a more technical way - just think LOW frequency sounds/tones have a LONG wavelength, whereas HIGH frequency sounds/tones have a SHORT wavelength.

you are, infact, playing with these wavelengths when designing your runner length, trying to set up harmonic standing waves in the runners. so the lower the RPM (and the opening and closing rate of the valve) the longer the wavelength is, thus the loner the runner needs to be to establish a harmonic.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok so long runners are obviously the pick of the bunch, but how long is long enough?
The standard manifold has the runners looping out from the head and up above the cam cover. If I took the length and diameter of these runners, would this be a good starting point?
I could have the runners come out from the head loop up and out a little, and then loop them down onto a flat plate which would make up one side of the plenum. Hows this sound so far?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a little loopy.

sorry I'll shut up now.

Friday's do it to me every time.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just thought I should make my own loops now that they are closing down the rollacoaster at dreamworld Rolling Eyes
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"US based engineering guru David Vizard suggests that a runner length of seven inches at 10,000rpm makes a good starting point. (Note that runner length is the distance from the plenum chamber right to the intake valve seat.)

Add to this another 1.7inches for each 1000rpm less than that which the system is being tuned for. Tuning for peak torque (not peak power) is the norm, so if the engine were being tuned for 4000rpm, a runner length of 17.1 inches (43.6cm) would be required."

-Julian Edgar, 2000 21st Century Performance
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, Thanks for that great bit of information.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just checked up and the peak torque is at 4000rpm for the 3S-GTE, so for optimum performance the runners should be 43.6cm.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 05 March 2004 11:07

bbaacchhyy wrote on Thu, 04 March 2004 10:33

Is this the book your talking about: Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems
If so does it have pictures in it of inlet manifolds?

Thanks

Yes, but basics only rather than in depth drawings
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes its a good little book! I just went out and picked it up Very Happy
I nice little bit of info I read regarding plenum volumes is as follows:

Quote:

An air intake plenum sould be several times larger than a cylinders displacement.

This backs up what I have been told by 2 workshops today stating that the plenum volume should be 2.5 to 3 times a cylinder volume.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 March 2004 04:39]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well now you know the size of the plenum and the length of the runners Smile

Time to get to work designing Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Fri, 05 March 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I have a design in my head which is basically a copy of the original.
I want to use the idea of the throttle body mounted in the middle of the plenum, the problem is I'm not going to have enough room to attach the intercooler piping to the throttle body in this position.
So to get around this problem I'm thinking of having a tube(3 inch maybe) attached to the plenum and bend it around to be parallel with the plenum and have the throttle body on the end of this.

Hows this idea sound?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Mon, 08 March 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok crutual is the length of the inlet runners? I spend a few hours today trying to figure out how to have longer runners but its just not going to work. Probably 150mm is all I am going to be able to do Confused
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Inlet manifold designs Mon, 08 March 2004 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
found this in my old bookmarks file:
<http://www.newcovenant.com/speedcrafter/calculator s/intake.htm>
might be of help...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Mon, 08 March 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate, that was helpful indeed.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi how did you go with your plenum designs? i tried the calculater, is 1.6" runner area.
does that seem small? i was using 2" pipe= 3.1" square area.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just made a cheap one that will get the car running for now. I'll get someone who knows what their doing to make me one later.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what did you do? i'm getting itchy getting my car going too Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a 3 inch pipe with runners hanging off the side!
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep that's all mine is so far
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit of a backtrack, but thought I'd give my 3 cents on the whole extra injector thing... They're a very poor/cheap way to get extra fuel in where it's needed, but do have the advantage of allowing the latent heat of the fuel evaporating to cool down the inlet manifold a bit.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3s manifold has an extra injector, dunno weather ill keep it, or maybe.....water-metho....nah thats silly
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitrous Very Happy
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rokusan wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 22:15

3s manifold has an extra injector, dunno weather ill keep it, or maybe.....water-metho....nah thats silly

Keep it...

I'd suggest keeping the extra injector for a tuners perspective...

Large injectors are harder to tune (Same amount of time, huge amount of fuel) therefore, to get the right amount of time takes LOTS of tuning, and is usually unable to be done...

If you run 6 injectors, you will need a smaller size, then, set the 7th up for when boost comes on...

Means tuning is easier...
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, so just behind the TB ok?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Tue, 04 January 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends how big the injectors are anyway. Unless they're something silly like 1200cc bucket fillers, then a decent (e.g. Motec) ECU can do a pretty good job of keeping them in line anyway.
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 05 January 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
43.6cm runners sounds good, I use the old 14inches rule for all personally but anyways
The plenum for NA cars should be 2 x engine capacity in cc

Not sure about turbo cars, look at a GTR, tiny plenum. I think they have tiny plenum to keep velocity up cause of there very short runners.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 05 January 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Regarding plenum volume, Corky Bell says:

Quote:

The plenum volume should be a function of engine displacement-in general, 50-70%.

From all the experienced engine builders I have spoken to, they have all backed up this claim. 2 - 2.5 times engine capacity is a myth!
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Wed, 05 January 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had a good chat with paul gilbert from the head shop about runners today as he's done the head, he's getting the flow tests out to do some calc's, told him about our glass plenum idea, and matching runners to port size. he said 8" ok, but 11" perfect! and theres 3.5" to the port seat so it might just fit on ok, i'm going for 1 litre per runner i hope it all adds up, will find out more tommorrow Smile
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 06 January 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the 50-50% rule, some manufacturers seem to use that (like the mirage - what plenum!)

I beleive that plenum size depends on the runner length and diameter, also depends on whether your after torque or power. I small plenum will increase torque as it increases the velocity of the air, a large plenum will offer no restriction so good for top end power.

I guess the only real answer is experimentation. Make a large plenum, then 'tune' it by filling the plenum slowly with something to reduce its internal size.

Ultimately you want variable runners like the mazda quad rotor sliding trumpets. Or even what most manufacturers do is to have a secondary chamber in the middle of the runners and a ECU controlled butterfly to direct air to or around it.
rokusan
Regular

September 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 06 January 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like TVIS i was intending to toss that
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 06 January 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tos the tvis, it does FA

Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: Inlet manifold designs Thu, 06 January 2005 17:55 Go to previous message
Actually TVIS makes a big difference on a stock engine - if you remove it you will see a slight increase in top end but a substantial loss of torque across the range. Once you start upping the power output of the engine TVIS will be quite a restriction and is best removed.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE-20 extractor design what's best
Next Topic:4afe rwd g-box
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 19:46:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0085639953613281 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.