Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Tue, 28 December 2004 17:14 Go to next message
Car lovers have something to cheer about in 2005! Recently, Toyota Prius has set a new world land-speed record for hybrid powered cars.

The stylish green Toyota Prius set the mark at 210.49 km/h on the 4.82km short course using a standard Hybrid Synergy Drive power-train — a mixture of 1.5-litre petrol engine and an electric motor.

The lean, green machine will be displayed at the Detroit Motor Show in early January 2005.

Toyota Motorsport's(USA) engineering group prepared the car by changing the gear ratios (4.32:1 to 3.2:1) and increasing the inverter voltage from 500 to 550 volts. A transmission cooling system was added to decrease the temperature of the inverter and electric motor to maximize efficiency.

The car's interior was removed to save weight, a roll cage added for safety and the whole car lowered by five inches to improve the aerodynamics for this highly specialized record attempt. Even the 26 in front and 25 in rear tyres were made by Goodyear.

Prius also holds the record as the first hybrid powered car to take part in the FIA-sanctioned event when it ran in the 8046.7 km Midnight Sun to Red Sea Rally in 2002.

http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/picdb/article0/e/2/41327

http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/picdb/article1/9/1/41328

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 17:17]

Send a private message to this user    
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Wed, 29 December 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn thats one ugly car.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Wed, 29 December 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apparently, it was from the same designer as the ae86.

look at the shape of the roof, especially the back section. Youll see the resemblence.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Wed, 29 December 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
210km in 4.8kms! that's amazing Rolling Eyes

Bloody cars for tree huggin' hippees! Razz
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
these cars are great, the first innovation in ages towards a less environmentally harmful product from an industry which has done so much damage to the world. I love modified cars and driving fast more than many people on thes forums, I have spent every cent ive ever made on cars, but still, i know that this sort of thing has to be done so that regular people who are happy to drive normally can do so at less expense to the environment. I am all for it congrats toyota! showing that hybrid power is beginning to match it with standard petrol motors.
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno if I would trade my petrol car in for a electric / petrol one , but I would trade it in for a nuclear car.

Yeah baby , I got 15 megaton under my bonnet. Evil or Very Mad
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DiZ_ wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 19:47

I dunno if I would trade my petrol car in for a electric / petrol one , but I would trade it in for a nuclear car.

And the green glow aint neons.. its the real deal Very Happy

Some of these car designs today.. Gimme 20min and I'll easily come up with a better outer shell.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But who'll be the first to buy one and turbo the 1.5? Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

just wait until power source technology has matured a bit, and you have a 200kw electric motor AT EACH WHEEL Razz

then again, it'd have to be one big ass battery to provide 800kw for any length of time Sad

it's only a matter of time.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 04:14

The car's interior was removed to save weight, a roll cage added for safety and the whole car lowered by five inches to improve the aerodynamics for this highly specialized record attempt.

Shocked Shocked must be using Kings super duper low springs

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2004 18:52]

amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen these cars about quite often but yesterday was the first time i really encountered one close-up - there was one in the lane next to me for like 2km. It was really funny pulling up at the lights because my 18RG was rattling and revving and cranking and this little Prius seems to stop spinning altogether, it's like there's no engine at all. It's like a stealth bomber car.

But yes, it's f*cking ugly. And 210kph is pathetic, seeing as they had to tweak it and remove all the interior to do it. You'd think electric cars would be great sports cars given they can have much more torque than gas engines, not to mention the possibility for an electric supercharger shot when you're pedal to the metal. What they need to do is build one without all the plush interior, without 20 million airbags, without any plastic bits stuck to it to make it look futuristic, put the engine in a light <1000kg body and make it two door. That'll get people buying it.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Thu, 30 December 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with JAZE that they are a necessary thing and they will get better.

One motoring writer wrote "It is like Broccoli, you know it is good for you but you still don't like it"

I'd love to know what a battery pack is worth when it has to get replaced and what the labour charge is ....
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Fri, 31 December 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 23:27

DiZ_ wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 19:47

And the green glow aint neons.. its the real deal Very Happy

Some of these car designs today.. Gimme 20min and I'll easily come up with a better outer shell.

the neons are stock Rolling Eyes
maybe should make a green 4age Rolling Eyes
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Fri, 31 December 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 09:11

I agree with JAZE that they are a necessary thing and they will get better.

One motoring writer wrote "It is like Broccoli, you know it is good for you but you still don't like it"

I'd love to know what a battery pack is worth when it has to get replaced and what the labour charge is ....

I agree with both of them... If the petrol price goes up higher then the cost of living then we might see a lot more of those cars around... I would any day trade my MA61 (200kms to a full tank) for a Prius if it was powered by Li-ion batteries (or something with more poke) Razz

Cheers.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Sun, 02 January 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know it's been posted on here before, but for those who havn't seen it, and doubt how good and fast a hybrid car can go then look at Toyota's other love child, although not yet in production....The Volta

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/future/volta/photo2.jpg

"In 1800, Alessandro Volta arranged zinc and copper discs in a column and invented the battery. 204 years later, Toyota has electrified automotive history with the first high-performance hybrid, named in his honor. The Giugiaro-designed carbon-fiber body seats three people abreast and features "drive-by-wire" controls, allowing you to position the steering wheel and pedals in front of any one of them. And the Volta's Hybrid Synergy Drive (a 3.3-liter V6 with an electric motor for each axle) not only delivers 435 miles on a 13.7-gallon tank, but 0 - 60 acceleration in a mere 4 seconds. Somewhere, Count Volta is smiling."
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Sun, 02 January 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3.3litre v6. hhmmm.... doesnt that defeat the purpose of electric cars? Rolling Eyes
shaneblack
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Tue, 04 January 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know. 7.4 L/100km sounds pretty good for a performance car. Wish I could get that out of my 3.0L V6.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Toyota Prius sets new hybrid record. Tue, 04 January 2005 23:39 Go to previous message
ahhh these cars will be mass produced/promoted when the oil companies say they should be introduced,the amount of engine designes pushed under the rug over the last 100 years that would save massive amounts of fuel is rediculous...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Bahahahaha
Next Topic:Climb Dance **top rally video
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 13:17:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073699951171875 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.