Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 03:24 Go to next message
Any pointers on how to remove the engine and gearbox from the engine bay without removing the wheels and driveshafts? Is it possible?

We're just about to remove the enigine from the bay and wanted to preserve the gearbox oil if it was possible. GT-Four guys, can it be done? I've never tried this before and I need to know what HAS to be removed in order to separate the engine from the bay. Does the gearbox have to be split off from the transfer case?

As usual, any help here appreciated guys. Time is working against me and I need a few hands to help me out, if not in person then help here is more than welcome.

Regards,
Andrew.
  Send a private message to this user    
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not the most technically-inclined person in the world, but if you just need muscle (or someone to order pizza), I could come up and lend a hand tonight. Can't be there till at least 5:30 though.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If time is against you, pull the wheels off, drop the driveshafts, box, whatever.

Don't piss around trying to do things that you think will make it quicker.
9 times out of 10 it will be a waste of time, and will end up costing you hours.

I tried to put a motor back in last night, and leave the exhaust on it, coz it was a bitch to take the exhaust off while the motor was in the car.
Got the motor 80% of the way in, and the exhuast wouldnt clear the steering rack.
Had to end up pulling the motor up halfway, taking the zorst off, and putting it back in.

We put the autobox back on it too before putting back in the car coz we knew it was gonna be easier than putting it in from underneath.
We only JUST got the engine in with the box attached.

Easiest way is to strip as much shit off as possible, and pull the motor out by itself (providing you can get to bolts and shit)
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can pull the drive shafts apart by removing the six cap screws on the inner CV then leave the CV tulip in the gear box, this will keep the oil where it's meant to be.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 12:09

You can pull the drive shafts apart by removing the six cap screws on the inner CV then leave the CV tulip in the gear box, this will keep the oil where it's meant to be.

A) what are the chances of knocking out the tulip while removing the box/while its sitting there and spilling oil?

and
B) does the inner CV have to bolt back onto the other half at the exact same point? ie, do they have to be marked?
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tats, what are you up to tomorrow dude? This afternoon is out, I'm not actually at home doing this, I'm at a panel shop working this thing out with davedave and I'm helping him (where possible) with his Gen II 3S-GTE install into his MR-2. It's a bit of a mutual arrangement where we're getting each other's cars sorted out before Dyno Day. Tats if you're free tomorrow, send me a PM and we'll sort something out as far as getting this engine out and pulling it to bits (again).

Thanks for the helpful resopnses guys, appreciated. Smile

Cheers,
Andrew.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Use a hoist, place the car on the hoist then remove the bolts securring the crossmembers to the chassis. remove everything else, then raise the car over the remaining intergral driveline, suspension, and crossmembers.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, if time is against you and you have access to a hoist, drop it out underneath.
The RAV wont have the same problems I did installing the 1j, but it's a bad feeling when you get the motor/gbox 90% of the way in, and there's a 3 minute "oh shit" moment where you think you'll have to pull it all out again (for anyone considering this conversion, there's about 2mm clearance if you do it this way)

it couldn't take more than a couple of hours to remove the engine regardless, could it? even if it does cost a few extra $ in gbox oil, you wont notice it on top of any panel/spray work you're getting done Smile (btw, how much did your spray job cost?)
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Clint,

We don't have aceess to a hoist to put the car on, but we do have an engine hoist. Would you suggest it's better to lift the car and drop the engine or vice versa? How about the gearbox and transfer case issue? Do you need to split these off in order to remove the engine? We were going to remove the driveshaft from the transfer case but we're open to any suggestions if it can be done better/easier.

Thanks again,

Andrew.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the weight rating of the hoist and also clearance at the back (if I remember, your rav is dumped on it's arse?) - as when you life the front a metre+ off the ground, the arse gets close to the ground if you're keeping the exhaust on.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 16:14

Use a hoist, place the car on the hoist then remove the bolts securring the crossmembers to the chassis. remove everything else, then raise the car over the remaining intergral driveline, suspension, and crossmembers.

This would work if the crossmember setup is the same as the ST205... this is essentially How I removed the engine from my frontcut.
I know for a fact that you can't do it like this on the ST185 though as the setup isn't the same.

I also assume you are referring to a 2 post hoist not an engine hoist though as using an engine hoist... even a big f'ck off one would be very dodgy.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 16:25

Hey Clint,

We don't have aceess to a hoist to put the car on, but we do have an engine hoist. Would you suggest it's better to lift the car and drop the engine or vice versa? How about the gearbox and transfer case issue? Do you need to split these off in order to remove the engine? We were going to remove the driveshaft from the transfer case but we're open to any suggestions if it can be done better/easier.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Ideally...
Drive the car up onto a 2 post hoist.
Place a pallet on the ground under the car.
Disconnect everything (engine loom, aircon compressor, heater hoses etc.)
Using a pallet jack lift the pallet up to the crossmember.
Unbolt the crossmember.
Lift the car with the 2 post hoist.
Drag your whole crossmember from under the hoist with the pallet jack.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shit Andy, piss poor timing. I just promised the missus I'd take her out tomorrow Sad Sorry mate.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why cant you just recycle your gbox oil?
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 15:12

Joshstix wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 12:09

A) what are the chances of knocking out the tulip while removing the box/while its sitting there and spilling oil?

and
B) does the inner CV have to bolt back onto the other half at the exact same point? ie, do they have to be marked?

The tulips are held in by the circlip so I doubt they'll fall out. I know mine certainly didn't.

Have you asked the guy who put the engine in how he did it so you can reverse the procedure.

With my MR2 I have to lift the car over the engine and I use an engine hoist for it no problem at all. I guess my AW11 is a bit lighter but you don't have to lift as high.
SXY184
Regular

January 2004
Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey bro , jus readin the replys to this drama ya seem to be it ....after workin in a dismantling place for the past three years (and actually doing a Rav 4 same as yours today ) i can tell you that you should undo all bolt from underneath ( all cross member bolts,inc tailshaft,but leave the engine mounts and struts tight for now...) unplug all wiring hoses..etc.. then lower the car and supporting the engine with ya crane drop the bolt at the mounts, and aftre double checkin that all hoses,wiring,etc are unpluged ,drop the struts and its shall all fall out as a assembly, then to put back together is reverse of that ...see how you go ...

just my 2c worth ...let us all know who is goes..
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

We have a 1500 or 2000 kg engine hoist, as seen here
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~mk15/images/IMGP1062_ 800.jpg
it's more then capable of lifting one end of a rav with or without engine.

From what I can see, it seems like it's a good idea to just drop the whole front assembly on to the ground/palet.
If we undo the mount points of the crossmember, struts and engine mounts.. then undo the exhaust and tail shaft mid way down.. it looks like it should just fall out the bottom.
Where's the best place to lift from the front of the car? Andrews nudge bar is a bit too shiny to wrap a chain around Smiley =

Cheers,
Dave

PS anyone know a good/quick place to get a head checked out in the shire?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pm joorsh or alexT on these forums - one of them went to a great place in hornsby/thornleigh area
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Wed, 05 January 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this reads like the easy way to change spark plugs in an old VW bug - undo bolts (6-8) attaching engine to chassis, disconnect electricals, brake lines and gearbox linkages, sit engine/box on bricks, lift car off and over engine - can be done with 4 people if no hoist available...

the reason it's the easy way to change the plugs as the sides of the car are in the way of the heads...

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 12:02]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Thu, 06 January 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 22:57

this reads like the easy way to change spark plugs in an old VW bug - undo bolts (6-8) attaching engine to chassis, disconnect electricals, brake lines and gearbox linkages, sit engine/box on bricks, lift car off and over engine - can be done with 4 people if no hoist available...

the reason it's the easy way to change the plugs as the sides of the car are in the way of the heads...

Somehow I don't think 4 people would be able to lift the RAV high enough to get the engine out.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Thu, 06 January 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless we chopped it in half Shocked
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE) Thu, 06 January 2005 07:23 Go to previous message
Hhaha, I hope you're not trying to win friends Karl... Very Happy

We got the driveshaft out of the diff, and we're about to get the crossmember lowered now, but we're faced with steering component issues now - what's involved in disconnecting these? WHAT should be disconnected and how is most important now.

Thanks again,
Andrew.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RPM for 2tg hybrid
Next Topic:7mge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 12:40:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055220127105713 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.