Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 13:38 Go to next message
hey i own a AE82 with a 4AGE 16valve in it.
i just purchase some 4AGE 20valve extractors..
if i install these into my car.. will they aid in my performance.. and if so.. by how much?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at least 5kw per sticker...
what other things have you done?
do you really think the 20V extractors look that much better?
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5kw per sticker?? wotsa sticker

i have pod filter, 2 inch str8 through
recon engine
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sticker = sticka (is that how you'd spell it?)

with basically no mods (exhaust and pod filter hardly count here), i doubt very much that the 20V extractors will give you any gain whatsoever. have you read any of the many guides on 4AG's around the net? the stock extractors are good for X?kw, and only above that is it worthwhile changing.... (or so ppl say)

but if you insist on changing them, see how it works for you..

Cya, Stewart
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so whats a sticka or sticker??

i was tld that the extractors will help me heaps... Confused
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam_Rolla wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 00:28

omg..

from www.dictionary.com
Quote:

1. One that sticks, as a gummed or adhesive label or patch.

basically a gummed or adhesive label that you put onto something.. and usually has words like HKS or TRD printed in bright colours... each gummed label is worth (at least) 5kw

http://www.trdsales.com/shop/shop_images/099.jpg

this car has about 200 extra kw, just from this angle alone
http://kobe.cool.ne.jp/ttt_ttt/rav4/car/sticker.jpg

who told you that the 20V extractors are much better than 16V extractors on a stock motor?
maybe they wee just 'having you on'

Quote:

I'm only pulling your leg! It's a joke! I'm not him! I'm just having you on (Life of Brian; writing credit: Graham Chapman; John Cleese)

(from http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definiti on/english/ha/having.html )

Cya, Stewart

ps, big cams and aftermarket computer will help heaps.. turbo will help heaps.. either set of good extractors will make little difference..

Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL ur funny hahaha Confused
ne way i was only asking for help.. u old bag.. ffs no need to have a whine.. and act up urself by refering to the dictionary..

You said '5KW per sticker'.. i kno wot a sticker is dickhead..
But when u say "5kw per sticker" i thought it was a motoring term..

IM sorry MR OLD ROLLA, but did ur comment really have to be that rude??
dont u have better things to do in life than just knock the shit out of ppl?

i kno i am not that experienced in cars AS U MUST BE.. so i asked for help.. Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Tue, 26 October 2004 14:45]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough Wink it's late and all and no-one else replied Smile (mostly because a quick search would give you an answer.. ie look at Bill sherwoods 4AG pages to start with)

Quote:

do you really think the 20V extractors look that much better?

with basically no mods (exhaust and pod filter hardly count here), i doubt very much that the 20V extractors will give you any gain whatsoever. have you read any of the many guides on 4AG's around the net? the stock extractors are good for X?kw, and only above that is it worthwhile changing.... (or so ppl say)

who told you that the 20V extractors are much better than 16V extractors on a stock motor?
maybe they were just 'having you on'

ps, big cams and aftermarket computer will help heaps.. turbo will help heaps.. either set of good extractors will make little difference..

nahh, i didn't give any suggestions at all Wink

and at least you fixed the speeling in that last one Very Happy

just go look at Bills page...

and who said i was experienced?? see my sig?
Cya, Stewart
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On a bommodore you'll see big gains from extractors... thats because they have really shit factory manifolds. On a jap car, the exhaust manifolds are actually designed instead of slapped together from slag left over from making the engine block, which was probably also made from slag.

Anyway, as old corollas suggested there are more gains elsewhere... But this is still a step on the way to better performance!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam_Rolla wrote on Wed, 27 October 2004 00:28

Some people really DO parody themselves without even knowing it!
Adam_Rolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

February 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i will buy them
for $100, i think that its a bargain?? wouldn't u agree?

4-2 on the primary extractors for $100 good deal yes?
jaydik
Regular

July 2003
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's up to u dude, but i think the point that was tryin to be made is that extractors on a standard ge aren't worth it. i've heard this is the case for ge engines up to 180 hp

jDIK
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If they're just the factory 20v extractors, then $100 is a rip off.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Tue, 26 October 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll back that, they're not particularly good looking things at all, and by the time you pay someone to adapt them to your exhaust, all for the purpose of gaining nothing, why bother? If you do it, make sure that you can't 'feel' the difference, won't you..
mr_corolla
Regular

Banned User

November 2004
    none
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Fri, 07 January 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think that you can feet it in cun you ?
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Fri, 07 January 2005 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually the 20v ones are better than the 16v ones, and you prob will get an improvement, wether its enough to feel "seat of the pants" is another thing.
to fit them u need to file out the 2 outer holes a bit.

the other thing u could is keep the 16v ones and extend the secondarys to 500mm that sbeen shown to make an improvement
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sat, 08 January 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not worth it unless you've done mods

stock manifold is good for upto 180HP (4AGE's came with around 120HP-40HP)

unless you've got cams, high comp pistons. all it will do is change the exhaust note slightly making you think its faster Laughing

Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sat, 08 January 2005 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The factory cast manifold for the 16v isnt bad the tubular manifold from the 20 is much better but it is not a direct fit for the 16v.

While it is worth doing I doubt it will give you the increase in power that you are expecting. it will however open the door for future mods that will gain power.

There are very few mods on their own (other than perhaps increasing the boost on a turbo car) that will give you a big increase in power, but parts work toghether as a package to produce the power that you want.

For $100 I would have second thoughts about the 20v extractors unless they are in fantastic condition - theyre usually reasonably rusted. Dont forget that itll prolly cost you $200 or more once you get them in place and will prolly only net you 2 or 3 hp if youre lucky.

If the engine is a small port I would spend the $100 on a set of bigport cams and getting them installed - you will see more of a difference.

If youre lucky someone will give you a set of bigport cams - they run both more lift and a longer duration than the smallport ones (240°, 7.56mm lift vs 232°, 7.1mm lift).

The factory specified timing for these cams is a little different but the big port cams should run ok without modification to the timing. If you want to spoil yourself get some adjustable cam gears. They allow you to 'dial in' the cams for perfect timing and have the added advantage of looking kick ass Smile

I have a set of these ones:
http://todaracing.com/images/product_toyota_campulleys.jpg

[Updated on: Sat, 08 January 2005 15:45]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isnt a car considered unroadworthy without the cam covers? how is it suppose to look kickass with the covers on Rolling Eyes
mikey93
Regular

December 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sun, 09 January 2005 19:33

isnt a car considered unroadworthy without the cam covers? how is it suppose to look kickass with the covers on Rolling Eyes

cam covers? (yes i'd think so.. oil would be spitting out and you'd lose pressure too)

or timing belt cover?

nothing wrong with having the timing belt cover off. i'd say its better too as you can see if the belt has snapped and monitor its condition
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya i meant cam GEAR covers ie timing belt cover. i think its illegal to do so. pretty sure. but ya looks cool without the covers id say.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a good idea to run with out cam covers.... you run the risk (very real risk) of getting a stone or something jammed in the belt. if you fell you must do that make sure you take off the bottom cover aswell, or else if just fills up with dust and crap and will eventually jam ya belt.

for all intenst and purposes the 20v extractors are a direct fit to the 16v, a little filing is all thats needed. however they may not bolt straight up to the rest of the system.
they will not in any way harm performance, but no one can really say how much it will help, if any meassurable amount. for $100 id do it. if you can get the blacktop ones.

if looking elsewhere in the exhaust for an improvement, look at the section that goes over the cross memeber......
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
started a thread few months back about cam gear covers and if im not mistaken bill sherwood was the one who was driving without it for years. if i keep mine off i might get 180HP on my 4age like bill Cool Cool
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha
yeah you may never have a problem. but its still a risk...
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know about the legalities but when I change my timing belt in a week or two the covers wont be going back on.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Sun, 09 January 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How did we go frm extractors to cam gears? Rolling Eyes

its a pain puting cover back on on FWD 4age.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Mon, 10 January 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know but how about going back to sticker performance Laughing
AHR01Z
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: 20 valve 4age extractors on a 16valve 4age, good or not? Wed, 12 January 2005 14:47 Go to previous message
stickers hey! at the moment I have 2 stickers but the front window TRD 16 vlave iz a big sticker so i reckon im getting approximately 10 to 15 horsie's more!

U guyz kno of n e other good stickers that will give me more hp n make my car look fully shwwweeeet 2!!

PS: Stickers aside now!!!he he How hard iz it? n how much will it cost 2 slap a turbo head on the 4ag-e 16v n apart from ecu n brake's what other major changes will need to be done to the car???? PS Already got a new box going on the car and a heavy duty RPM Clutch n Flywheel! Will that do?
n e big changes for the xhaust? will the radiator be sufficient?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 14:50]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Slipping Clutch
Next Topic:Coilovers for corona / hilux / pug upgrade
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 09:01:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073018074035645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.