Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 11:49 Go to next message
I am sick of this crap, having to work in roofs with fibre glass batt insulation is well annoying. Does anyone have a good way to get the fibres out of your skin? I have tried jumping in the pool and doing laps etc. after work, all to no avail. I have had both hot and cold showers suggested...IS THERE A WAY THAT ACTUALLY WORKS?!?

Very itchily

Andrew
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your employer should provide you with proper protective clothing ... oh, i forgot, it's the employers right to fuck over workers in the current federalised employment environment....

if you've developed a permanent skin condition as a result of your workplace then it's only fair that your employer (and their worker's comp insurer) develop a permanent financial disfigurement (that favours you).

there's no easy way of getting the glass fibres out of you skin apart from removing the skin.

the rapid movement of swimming or vigorous showering may makes things worse as you are breaking the fibres down to even smaller segments. A warm shower or sauna may help as it encourages the body to profusely sweat but a that also makes your skin more sensitive.

you should consult with a doctor (or get referred to a dermatalogist) to see if you can get something to reduce the irritation and discomfort.

as a last resort, get some skin creams that relieve sunburn pain and apply liberally - some have a mild local anesthetic that'l help you forget the pain and itching for a while. Also, gently and liberally apply aleo vera (spell?) squeezed straight out from one of the leaves - when it dries, gently wash off and it will remove some fibres with the goo.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember those days Rolling Eyes I use to work making and repairing yachts.
You want to have as hot a shower as you can stand. Get under the hot water and as your body gets used to it, keep increasing the hot water.
The hot water works with the glass fibres the same as it does with your hair follicles(spelling?) when you have a shave. It forces them out of the skin(hopefully) and then the running water washes them away.
This worked the best for me back when I was working with the stuff.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i feel your pain
the only thing that works for me is time. Crying or Very Sad
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lol, i used to hate the itchiness and stuff that come with glass dust being in your skin...i barely even feel it now unless i have been sanding or grinding fibreglass in short sleeved clothes.... the worst thing you can do is try and brush it off your skin.. you end up rubbing it in..

A little tip is put powder on your skin before you work with fibreglass, then use an air blower or something similar after and just blow it off your skin.. it stops it from getting inbto your skin or if you are too lazy like me then just shower after you have finished... stand under a really hot shower for ages ( it softens up the skin and opens up your pores ) and then use somehting to scrub it off you....

The proper term for the rash you get from all the glass dust in your skin is 'dermatitis'... DO NOT SCRATCH coz, you will really hurt yourself Laughing

The worst thing is when you have glass dust in your skin and people touch you or brush against you and rub the glass in your skin the wrong way.... very ouch..

Time is good... eventually you learn not to feel it anymore..... lol.

Neko ^-^
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would wear long sleeves but seeing as i am in roofs for hours at a time, usually up at 45 degrees...that gets hard. Confused

I'll try a warm shower next time, trying to get to sleep with the fibres in you has to be one of THE hardest things...then i wake up and they are mostly gone, go figure.

Thanks all
Andrew
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Fibre glass Tue, 11 January 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tea tree soap and shampoo in a hot as shower then tea tree lotion afterwards stops itching.
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toy Yoda wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 07:27

I'll try a warm shower next time, trying to get to sleep with the fibres in you has to be one of THE hardest things...then i wake up and they are mostly gone, go figure.

Thanks all
Andrew

Yeah, but then the next night when you are all freshly showered and clean and you climb into bed, you get recovered in the shit... one bad thing i used to do was when i got home id sit on my bed still all in my work gear and that would end up putting glass all through my bed.... theres also some kind of foam cream ( i cant remeber the name but ill get back to you) that you rub in to your skin before you go to work and it kind of acts as a sealant to your skin so nothing can get into you...
what kind of fibreglass is used in the roof's? scuse my stupidity, i knew they used it in roof's somehow, but where does the dust/fibres come from? Like, what form of glass, i mean to say.. if that makes sense?
is it the matting raw? or from cutting grinding it?
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think he means from pink bats or similar-they are a bitch. Hot hot shower and heaps and heaps of soap has worked well for me.Also tea trea oil/lotion as clubagreenie has said works wonders.it also kinda burns if not diluted and takes away the pain of needles all over. id be having a chat to your employer if i was you. i think they should provide some sorta comp for the constant irritation
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By the sounds of it, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years time or even sooner, you'll "develop" a never ending cough.
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Yeah you will... and you will also get 'shadows in your lungs' which you cant get rid of... the fibres floating in the air... with dust and stuff you can cough it up/out, but with fibres they have little hooks on them, so when you breathe them in, they lodge themselves in your lungs and they dont come out...

A good tip for sore throats though, and people who work with glass, i have been told, is to drink alot of milk, it coats your throast etc, and doesnt let the glass stick to you as easily...

I have been told working with fibreglass is worse than working with asbestos, but i dont know how true that is, all i know is that they are both carcinogenic...

Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the ideas everyone, i would talk to my boss but i would like to keep my job so i'll sty quiet for now. I'm biding my time before i can send some 1st year straight from school up into the roof and i can sit around teling him what to do Evil or Very Mad

Until then i guess ill just hve to live with it.

Andrew
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its a bugger!
Ive worked in ceilings with fibre bats for years now and before that with the "blue" fibreglass. (to me there is no difference between the two).
The way I got rid of the itchys is to have a hot shower with lots of soap (open the pores up) and then turn the water to cold to close the pores.
If you can get to compressed air a good "blow job" first, helps a lot as well.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Polish up (ie rub vigoursly) an ebony rod on a soft cloth (silk is the best to use) and run it gently over the affected areas. The static electricity in the rod should attract the fibres.

seeyuzz
river
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Fibre glass Wed, 12 January 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gazza53 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 19:58

If you can get to compressed air a good "blow job" first, helps a lot as well.

Not heaps powerful, i always got into shit for using heaps of air because it has too much force and forces it into your skin...

although.. i still like to use the air to get it off me.. its quick and easy Smile
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Fibre glass Thu, 13 January 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 14:41

I have been told working with fibreglass is worse than working with asbestos, but i dont know how true that is, all i know is that they are both carcinogenic...

http://www.cheshire-med.com/programs/pulrehab/asbe stosis.html

Asbestos can cause asbestosis, a scarring of the lungs that leads to breathing problems and heart failure.

Most asbestos deaths aren't cancer, rather asbestosis

Basically the fibres rip their way through the aeoli (spelling?) and rip your lungs to shred, an extremely painful thing by all accounts. sometimes a fiber will get lodged somewhere and lay dormant for years untill it is stirred up and proceed with the prior mentioned lung shredding activity.

Doesn't sound very fun, don't ever be blase about your handling of this shit!!
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: Fibre glass Thu, 13 January 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i have to admit im a bit more blase than i should be about working with glass... when i grind i wear a mask, when i have to do heavy sanding i use a mask, however when i tear fibres, or lay fibres, or have just a little bit of tidying or saning to do, i dont use a mask... i know thats gunna come kick me in the ass someday...

my question still hasnt been answered yet.. the stuff you use in the rooves.. what form are the fibres innit? Loose fibres?
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: Fibre glass Thu, 13 January 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Neko it is foam insulation batts with glass fibres in them, basically you touch they get on you, and you cannot avoid touching it.

I don't know the exact make up of the batts, but i'd say half the houses i have worked in have them, and since it's hot up in the roof space, your pores open up and the fibres get stuck into you. Really a crappy idea on the part of whoever invented them.

For SHAME!
Andrew Mad
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Fibre glass Fri, 14 January 2005 07:27 Go to previous message
we hated the fibreglass stuff so used to put in the
plastic batts instead, made out of some recycled material but i guess you cant choose.

sometimes we had to put in the fibreglass stuff, the dilema is that the more protection you wear the more glass will get trapped within / inside and rub on you all day. and it gets bloody hot and its dangerous to be all clothed up!!

ended up wearing gloves, a paper or decent filter mask and
normal clothes and making sure it didnt contact our skin much.

to wash it out, hot shower and use your hand to wash water off only, not back and forth.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 07:27]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wanted: job
Next Topic:GT4, what? what?! 56k NO!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 06:15:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053160190582275 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.