Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Mon, 10 January 2005 04:29 Go to next message
Just got my car back from the suspension guys(swapping good stuff over from gz10), handles great
anyway i was coming down this 80km/h zone and ive put my foot down just to see if my baby was ok, it was in 4th.. it went straight to 17 psi and the ass end was all over the place. needless to say it felt awesome, BUT the turbo's wont last long at that pressure
I had a quick look at the boost controller and nothing was changed, couldnt see any kinks in the boost lines either.
any other reason why boost would shoot up?
  Send a private message to this user    
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Mon, 10 January 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys at the suspension shop fucked with something to see how hard they could get it going? Wink
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Mon, 10 January 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
listen to the safety cat - he aint wearing a lemon helmet for no reason!

they totally played with it. Reset the boost controller to actuator pressure and see if its still high on the boost - then you know if its the controller or something else!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Mon, 10 January 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 17:00

Guys at the suspension shop fucked with something to see how hard they could get it going? Wink

Yep I'm with Lucid... suspension shop guys bumped up the boost and took your car for a thrash.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Mon, 10 January 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope.. boost controller is normally set
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Mon, 10 January 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if I need to take my car to a shop for any reason
I think ill be wiring the wastegate OPEN!

I had taken it to a shop once for some panel work.
and it came back and ran like POOP for the first 30mins for some reason.

maybe they thrashed it, ot maybe it didn't like not being driven for a few days or something.. not sure.

its all good but Smiley =
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the actuator line could have come off.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 20:37

the actuator line could have come off.

checked that.. nope
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have u tried turning down the boost controller?

Maybee ur wategate is stuck?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive found the culprit
makes me seem silly
for some reason when i got it back my boost gauge was broken.. didnt realise it until just before but its sitting on 4-5 psi even when off..
I didnt notice it when i picked it up as i started it up before i got in the car.
and the day i picked it up was the 1st COLD day we've had in months.. compared to all the stinking hot ones, my engine bay has crap heat management, so on hot days the cars dies.. on cold days.. it flies.
I havent driven it on a cold day since winter, as there hasnt been any COLD days.
so that explains the 17 psi.. and why the car had more power.
fucks me how the boost gauge died
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the heat Laughing It's actually scarey what a day in the sun does to a car over time, most old cars you see all the needles on the guages are all bent just a little from those absolutely stinking hot days...
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 21:46

ive , my engine bay has crap heat management, so on hot days the cars dies.. on cold days.. it flies.

Do you still have the plastic undertray underneath the engine bay? These are designed to help suck the hot air from an engine bay, but lots of people/workshops just chuck them away after doing an engine conversion. It's not just about lots of holes for airflow, but managing it so you creat a bit of a vaccum through the engine bay.

1jz's do produce a fair bit of underbonnet heat with the compact twin turbo setup.

Most turbo cars run a bit better on cold days because the air-air intercooler can get the intake temps down more.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my ECU I can set the rev limiter to whatever I want and it is password protected. So if ever have to give it to a mechanic it will be set to 3000rpm.

I am not taking any chances anymore!

BTW I know this wasn't your problem Smile
Also, what type of boost guage was it?
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Tue, 11 January 2005 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag: I recall you buying a cheapo Speco boost gauge yeah?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 09:59

Jag7799 wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 21:46

ive , my engine bay has crap heat management, so on hot days the cars dies.. on cold days.. it flies.

Do you still have the plastic undertray underneath the engine bay? These are designed to help suck the hot air from an engine bay, but lots of people/workshops just chuck them away after doing an engine conversion. It's not just about lots of holes for airflow, but managing it so you creat a bit of a vaccum through the engine bay.

1jz's do produce a fair bit of underbonnet heat with the compact twin turbo setup.

Most turbo cars run a bit better on cold days because the air-air intercooler can get the intake temps down more.

there was no plastic tray on either of my soarers as far as i recall.. the HOT days make my IC useless cause all it does is pick up the boiling hot heat off the road.. plus my pod is just in the engine bay and not blocking heat atm

and yes, it was a cheapy speco one, but i never had any problems with it before?
weird

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 00:19]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 08:18

and yes, it was a cheapy speco one, but i never had any problems with it before?

Even cheap stuff works perfectly till it fucks up
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 11:55

you better beleive another cheapy one is gonna take its place too lol
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 12:14

CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 11:55

you better beleive another cheapy one is gonna take its place too lol

well at least it will fit in with the theme of the whole car Razz Razz Razz
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

haha thats one of the stupidiest comments I think ive heard on here Jag, well done!

You coulda got a good one for the price of your 2 cheapies!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 12:51

Quote:

haha thats one of the stupidiest comments I think ive heard on here Jag, well done!

im getting my other cheapy one for like 10 bucks
who can complain with that?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bet YOU will complain with it when it breaks again.... Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boris wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 14:05

I bet YOU will complain with it when it breaks again.... Razz

no doubt, like a little whingy bitch, i will
might even add some water works
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had one of those boost guages too, and it fucked up the same way. The whole assembly fell apart inside, and it was like it was floating.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 10:19

Quote:

ME! Cause the one thing you are forgetting is the time your a spending a) getting a new one b) removing old and installing new c) all of the above when the next cheapie goes in a couple of months

Time is money my friend. Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 15:59

Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 10:19

Quote:

ME! Cause the one thing you are forgetting is the time your a spending a) getting a new one b) removing old and installing new c) all of the above when the next cheapie goes in a couple of months

Time is money my friend. Razz

takes exactly 1 minute to replace a boost gauge
and my mate will probably drop the gauge over on his way home when i get him to get me one
so 1 minute of my time is worth .. well whatever... 10 bucks for a gauge..
in my mind 10 cheapies is in the end, counting time as money aswell cheaper than getting a decent one
hehe Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 05:52]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
update on that... boost gauge for free..
1 minute of my time
good deal
thx soulfire
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yeah if you like the gauge hanging off your dash look.

You are telling me you can get your tools, remove the old gauge, install the new gauge, test for leaks then put tools away in a minute? If so you should seriously consider being an automotive mechanic!

Godd to see you got a free gauge Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: car running 17 psi with no changes? for no reason.. Wed, 12 January 2005 07:31 Go to previous message
Skip wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 18:25

Quote:

Yeah if you like the gauge hanging off your dash look.

You are telling me you can get your tools, remove the old gauge, install the new gauge, test for leaks then put tools away in a minute? If so you should seriously consider being an automotive mechanic!

Godd to see you got a free gauge Smile

its in a pod sitting on the side of my dash, out of the way
can get tools.. undoe the cup and take the fitting off, fit it to a new gauge and tighten all up.. will take about that time
i wouldnt test it till i drive it next.. but chances of leaks are minimal
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:I'm about to get buddy-clubs imported: anybody else want a set? (discount etc.)
Next Topic:cool worldwide ST165 Pictures
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 17:28:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078001022338867 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.