Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sat, 15 January 2005 22:27 Go to next message
reading today that nsw is bringing in a tripod-based system that reads vehicle number plates as they drive past, and automatically tests if the car is registered and if the owner is licenced. Apparently this is already being used in canberra.
What are people's opinions? I think for this specific purpose, it is a brilliant idea. I know of so many people who drive without licences, and that accident on the M4 in which an unregistered truck took out 40+ cars is a perfect example of why this sort of thing is needed. Anyone involved in an accident with an unregistered driver is most likely not going to get a whole lot of money out of it to pay for repairs and hospital bills... which leaves the person doing the right thing in the shit.

Another thing the article brought up (in the smh) was how the penalty for driving unlicenced is often a small fine (>$500) and an increase in the licence suspension period. I have to ask: The person has jsut been caught driving unlicenced. What effect is an increase in the unlicenced period going to have? buggerall! unless it is a life or death situation, driving unlicenced should invoke larger fines, and suspended sentences or community service... on first offence. Subsequent ofences should simply be punished by a fine and gaol time - if you're stupid enough to get caught doing it twice, it obviously isn't just "a mistake"

</rant>
  Send a private message to this user    
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sat, 15 January 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember seeing this number plate identification
scheme in the paper, they check rego, owner license
and if its stolen?

i think they had a test run one day in qld? and had
found a good number of unrego'd cars at the end of the day.
it was going to become a permanant mounted check system
but people also reckoned it invades your privacy cos youre whereabouts get tracked everytime your car gets checked.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 January 2005 23:15]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sat, 15 January 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they used it down at the broadwater car park {BWCP}, as each car drove out they checked the plates and checked for all that stuff
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sat, 15 January 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on to of that just cause the owner of the car is unlicenced it doesnt mean that the person driving is!

i recon there are too many variables that will make it not work rather than work... theres privacy issues, possbily system not up to date (what if i sold the car just 20min ago cause i am unlicenced, stolen car that has been found and im driving it home), no guarantee of driver at the time

yeah im sure they will reimburse any fines/etc if you can prove to the contrary but i would be sueing for lost wages, time and the headchae for a failing system... it is not my responsibility to prove to the contrary of what they believe

IM AGAINST IT!!!

its like the saliva test they want to bring out. thats a load of crap... in any investigation you have to give explicit authority for them to take any DNA from you or a court order yet now they want to introduce random saliva testing WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm all for it. if there are a limited number of systems, they can hardly be keeping tabs on you apart from "this person travelled toward penrith on the 30th of blah"

and as for mistaken identity... when they pulled you over (into a car park typically) they would check your licence and then not fine you, and let you go. The fines are not issued automatically.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok to use an example of how this system wont work
i had a car registered under my name deu to a mate loosign his license and nsw rta not permitting an unlicensed driver to regsitere a car
he brought the car at a great price legitimately hence his reason of purchse
he after a while took to drivign the car (yes i know some friend hey and he knows now how i feel about this) and got a 15 and under fine
now it's up to me to prove i wasnt drivign the car which is virtually impossible without him admiting guilt to also drivign without a license
my point is wha tif i own a car registered to me yet jsut had my license suspended and a family member or friends sddrivign the car ?
they will most likely will be pulled over falsely and harrasssed unfairly for somethignt ehy are innocent of and if they arent pulled over and the fines sent by mail without physical verification how am i supposed to prove i was NOT drivign the vehicle ( yes i know its supposied to be innocent untill proven guilty yet we all know what the infringment systems like )
also the point of tracking is a legitimate point
what if you become a threat to a government even thou your within the law
they will know virtually everything about you to an even scarier level than now
if the system had the information coming back to a central database that checks and verifys the information and encrypts the data so the moniters and users fo the system couldnt verify the whereabouts of that information id be mre inclined to accept and support it pending upon answers to above questions
it just worried me that the gevernment is not willing recognise the peoples unofficial vote enmasse with their attitude towards the current system and address it
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you must have missed my post

according to what I've read, no fines will be sent by mail. all people will be pulled over. The cops do realise that unlicenced people will lend their car to licenced drivers. This does not constitute harrasment, but simply a 10 minute delay on your journey. And personally, for the benefit it will do, I can handle having 10 mins added to my journey

They will not know "virtually everything about you". nsw is planning on getting 11 of these systems (eventually - initially this number will be much smaller), and from detecting your car in 11 different locations across greater sydney (assuming none go to areas outside of sydney) they still wont be able to tell much of anything. I'm all one for my privacy, I hate giving out personal information and any invasion, but seriously the consequences, as the plans stand, are absolutely minimal.

interestingly, someone mentioned that one fo the resons so many people drive unlicenced is that they think it's too easy to lose your licence.... perhaps we may see a demerit point decrease? (well, actually no that aint gonna happen)
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as im concerned it is no different to the cop looking at your plate chekcing it on the computer in the car or radioing back to back and checking the plate if it is stolen/unrego etc.

im a fan. think of it this way, when was the last time the cops found a stolen ae86 that wasnt burnt out or stripped. this way they are looking for it even when they are not looking for it. its the claytons rego check Razz

to me its a state wide anti car theft unit that will be actually looking for your car. i like it.
Gazza53
Regular

August 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This technology has been in place for some time now, the "truck monitoring" bridges along the hume have that capability, and in SA the cameras have been/are being trialed on the Port Wakefield road. The who to issue the fine to argument is all that is holding the revenue collectors back!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just another fucked up way of keep tabs on us and trying to controll our every fucken move
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah the truck saga... i think this is what may have started/evolved from all this technology -
the camera recognition software for plates and database
system except they arent checking if it is a stolen
truck or if the owner is unlicensed or if its unregistered.

its a completely different objective, its to stop
trucks speeding on their routes, especially long hauls...

cameras are mounted at points a b c d e f g h.
now driving at the speed limit from point 1 to point 2
takes a certain amount of time, so say you are detected at point 1 at 8pm and point 2 at 3am...
now thats 7 hrs of travel.
travelling at the speed limit actually
takes 9 hrs, so it works out that you have been speeding and you get snapped for it.

thats what iv heard, anyone else?

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2005 10:27]

indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I for one reckon the technology, if nothing else, is interesting. A guy at my work developed similar software for a logistics company, and the stuff involved (2-dimensional barcodes and realtime video processing) is fascinating for a geek like me Smile

Fully support introduction of these systems. If it discourages more arsemunching morons from driving stupidly, that's a bonus. Now someone just needs to invent a magic camera that can detect and log drunk drivers. I'm sure it's possible... just need to find the right pattern to look for
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Sun, 16 January 2005 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
either way, whichever way it goes big brother is coming.

But quite frankly i do like the idea of it for the unlicenced and unrego'd.
But one idea springs to mind - What about stolen plates?
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Tue, 18 January 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

In america McDonalds use the same technology to estimate the weight of occupants per car pulling into the drive thru to estimate cooking capacities ahead of orders...

' daaaaammn 5 fat bitches in a barina - prepare battle stations '

useless information...
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Tue, 18 January 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't quite understand how it works, are you driving when they scan your number plate? Then do they pull you over up the road? Like the way speed traps would work?

The police would sit at the speed camera, someone would drive through adn the police could tell if he was speeding, then he radios to the police about 500m up the road and they pull you in.

Will it be like that?

I don't drive unregisterred cars or stolen cars, so I don't really care what they do.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Tue, 18 January 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easy, just drive a registered car even if it aint under your name then they wont pull you over Cool
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Tue, 18 January 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sig - yeah, that's exactly how they're going to work it
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: new numberplate recognition tech in NSW Tue, 18 January 2005 17:22 Go to previous message
boudan wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 18:56

In america McDonalds use the same technology to estimate the weight of occupants per car pulling into the drive thru to estimate cooking capacities ahead of orders...

' daaaaammn 5 fat bitches in a barina - prepare battle stations '

useless information...

Laughing
Useless information? Yeah but at least they'll know when to shut shop and run Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:All you ricers are in trouble !
Next Topic:Why BP is the best
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 03:33:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053589344024658 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.