Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » My ST162 run into in parking lot!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Strobe
Newcomer

January 2005

My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 00:38 Go to next message
G'day guys. I'm a newcomer to the forums and I'm looking for some advice/help.

I just wend back to work last Thursday and some time during the day my ST162 was run into in the parking lot. Whoever it was broke my tail light, bent the rear/side panel and now my bumper hangs off a bit.

Pictures follow:

http://home.exetel.com.au/strobe/Damage01.jpg
Close up of light damage.

http://home.exetel.com.au/strobe/Damage02.jpg
Bumper scrape, light damage.

http://home.exetel.com.au/strobe/Damage03.jpg
Here you can see how the bumper is not on right anymore.

What a way to go back to work. Worst part if whoever it was just drove off. No details left. I just come out of work and see my light glass on the ground.

Unfortunately I work as an apprentice audio technician and so don't have much money. I have a little experience with cars and basically I want to know what you guys think I should do. I have made a temporary repair of the glass (so that I have two tail lights that are red, thankfully the light itself still works).

I was thinking I could probably get a new light from somewhere and fit it myself but I am a bit concerned about the panel damage. It has bend in such a way that the light housing is not quite where it should be. I think that I may have trouble getting a new one to fit in properly or even without breaking it (I'm not sure how delicate these things are).

So what do you guys think?

-Strobe
  Send a private message to this user    
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sucks, i know how you feel, i too have damage on my right taillight from the same thing.. maybe we could organise a set Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't remember exactly how much it is to get them new from Toyota, I think it's in the region of about $250 for one? But I have both left and right lying around as spares in good nick (only slightly faded) so if anyone is interested in either of them just PM me I'll only want the postage cost for 'em (likely to be less than $20).
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bet you any money you like it was a 4wd that hit you.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and those tail light sets are reasonably tough, but you will probably want to beat out the panel a little bit while you have all the rear trim out (in order to put the new tail lights in) anyway, I don't think it's a particularly thick panel so it shouldn't be too hard.
Strobe
Newcomer

January 2005

Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I recon it was a 4WD or van or something with a sticking out bit to do that damage. I've been keeping an eye out for regulars to the car park to see if they have damage at the right height, but I don't think it is likely I'll find out who it was.

-Strobe
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 12:38

Bet you any money you like it was a 4wd that hit you.
First thing I thought was a towball/bar off a 4wd..... Right height, damage is uniform with a square object....

Highly unlikey to find out who did it.

I suggest to park your car around the back or somewhere else that is out of the mainstream.
Matt-itude
Regular

October 2004
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i definately be interested in the right rear tail light

what style is it? from memory there are 2 types of 162 tail lights, i would like the newer one Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only difference I can see between the two types of tail lights is just the grille bit on the sides - and you've already got the right one I guess?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I found them, they look different (no horizontal split) and the reverse light is in a diff. spot Sad Looks like I only have the early 86 ones spare.

Damn Sad
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are series 2 lights, rather rare n had 2 find here in ADL but perhaps a little differnt in SYD. Sori 2 hear and best of luck with the damage. Karma will catch on to them buddy.
Strobe
Newcomer

January 2005

Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 21:16

Actually I found them, they look different (no horizontal split) and the reverse light is in a diff. spot Sad Looks like I only have the early 86 ones spare.

Damn Sad

Does anyone know if these still fit? If I replaced them both as a pair it wouldn't look to silly (I imagine).

I've got not problem with moving a bit of the wiring around if I'll need to do that for the reverse light (like I mentioned before, I'm an audio technician, good with electrics).

-Strobe
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats unlucky dude!!... i'm sure "Warrior" also known as Karl, may have a set of those tail lights for sale... im not 100% sure... but pm him.. his alias on the forum is Warrior.

Also try RobST162 to see what advice he can give ya... from the pic, it dosent look too bad... so it can prolly be a fast fix Very Happy

Goodluck mate
~Chopin
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: My ST162 run into in parking lot! Sun, 16 January 2005 23:46 Go to previous message
Strobe wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 07:03

FWDboy wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 21:16

Damn Sad

Does anyone know if these still fit? If I replaced them both as a pair it wouldn't look to silly (I imagine).

I've got not problem with moving a bit of the wiring around if I'll need to do that for the reverse light (like I mentioned before, I'm an audio technician, good with electrics).

-Strobe

the tail lights will fit straight on without any mods to wiring. however they do look different. I have a set of the 86 model tail lights as well. but I would be more inclined to get the 88 model ones.

Karl
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ticket for "not displaying p-plates" - help me keep my licence!
Next Topic:ST162 - Changing the CD Player
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 23:47:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044550895690918 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.