Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Mon, 17 January 2005 13:07 Go to next message
Anyone like these bread boxes ... r they expensive to maintain ?

how do they compare to say a new celica

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2067219&current_r ec=1&total_rec=1&sort_type=&make_id=40 &model_id=3955&badge_id=25528&state_id =-1&search_distance=25

vs

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_conten t.private_vehicle?vehicle_id=2020599&current_r ec=17&total_rec=45&sort_type=&price_mi n=20000&make_id=8&model_id=31&state_id =-1&search_distance=25

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2005 13:09]

Send a private message to this user    
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Mon, 17 January 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the clio sports, have a friend with one who takes it down old pac and it really flies. for what they are they are quite amazing. i believe that there 0-100 is only 0.5 off a wrx.

he also takes it out to wakefield and does pretty well out there (~1:17) For what they sell for 2nd hand i think that they are a very nice car. The interior is also quite comfortable, however, my friends only gripe is the positioning of the gearstick.

i've driven it on the way back from wakefield and it was pretty nice to drive. I loved the fact that in 4th gear at 2000rpm you could put your foot down and it'd pull pretty well.

Althougfh i haven't been in a new celica so my view is pretty biased Confused
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Mon, 17 January 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i been in one too ... they farkin haul ass !! does his break down ? im sure spares will be pretty exxy though ... and its not the hottest looking car around ... but imn sure some nice wheels will do it justice

the celica is a nicer looking car by far though, much sportier ...

i have not been in one tho, so if there is anyone here with a celica, your views would be appreciated !
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Mon, 17 January 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't think my friends one has broken down. just had a few minor issues, gear boot coming loose and a crack in the bracket that holds the computer in the engine bay.

other than that the only wear and tear is on the tyres from all the hard driving that it gets. I'm fairly sure that he has around 50k kms on it and it gets taken up old pac at least once a week.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Clio's are a great little car and will insult many so called performance cars on the market. The celica I don't know a lot about them. I did have a run with one and was very surprised at how quick it was, It would do a WRX easliy. I can't vouch for it being a factory standard celica though. It looked like he had spent some cash on it with body kit, 20inch chrome wheels etc.

Have a look at the Corolla Sportivo. They are every bit as surprising as the Clio. Same engine as the celica but in a smaller package.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as I stated in another thread.... the clio (I assume you're not talking about the V6 one) is a quick little car. My supra and josh's supra both have to try fairly hard to beat them, and they corner like they're on rails... really amazing performance on the twisties. of course, they're french, and as a result they fall apart. the windscreen wipers have been known to fall off during high speed cornering, the number of problems with interior trim pieces is endless.

When josh gets back from qld (in a week) ask him to give you the URL for the clio sport mailing list, and you can listen to all the gripes of the owners Smile
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clio's are kick ass. Apart from a DC2R they are the only FWD I'd ever own.

I had a stoush with one at Wakefield (may have been your mate Finney - it was blue with an exhaust) and it was very entertaining.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread puts me off wnating to buy a clio, but they is so fast, damn frenchies and there unreliable cars with crappy seating positions
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 14:00

this thread puts me off wnating to buy a clio, but they is so fast, damn frenchies and there unreliable cars with crappy seating positions

are u speaking from experience ??? what is unreliable ? i have yet to get a drive in one .. this weekend hopefully
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 13:25

as I stated in another thread.... the clio (I assume you're not talking about the V6 one) is a quick little car. My supra and josh's supra both have to try fairly hard to beat them, and they corner like they're on rails... really amazing performance on the twisties. of course, they're french, and as a result they fall apart. the windscreen wipers have been known to fall off during high speed cornering, the number of problems with interior trim pieces is endless.

When josh gets back from qld (in a week) ask him to give you the URL for the clio sport mailing list, and you can listen to all the gripes of the owners Smile

what falls apart ?? is this from what ppl have told you or from owners u know ??

i intend to extend warranty as i dont know too much about these cars and how well they are made etc

(btw who is josh is his nicek joorsh ?)
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ppl talking about parts falling, motor has had weird noises coming from the front suspension during testing, some cars are great at handling whilst others are not so great i the geometry of the suspension is slightly out, bad panel fit in some cars, loose interior bits, bad seating position likened to a huchback frog excuse the pun.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a French car boys..... Some call it character..... others call it a POS. In any case, they go and handle very well, but aren't built anywhere near the same standards of Jap cars. Seriously if I bought one, I would expect things to fall off all the time.
banhbao
Regular

September 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder .... will we get the renault clio v6 (the mid mounted engine one)?

that car is awesome looks! Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Tue, 18 January 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no we will never get that beast, and its a nightmare anyway, the old model was known to spin on it aixs because of its very short wheelbase match to a mid closer to rear mounted v6.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Wed, 19 January 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The new one is markedly improved and reknown for being much more forgiving. Very Happy
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Wed, 19 January 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 13:36

I had a stoush with one at Wakefield (may have been your mate Finney - it was blue with an exhaust) and it was very entertaining.

Yeah i know 2 guys with blue ones that go out to wakefield. one is pretty much stock and he has some camber on the fronts. sometimes he puts his exhaust on for the track days.
the other one has coilovers and an exhaust. chances are it was one of them Very Happy
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Wed, 19 January 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the celica is prettey dull under 5-6 grand and without a bit of work dont go so well they are about 7 secs to 100 they look better than a clio and i have been in both finneys mates clio and a fairly worked celica with lighwight flywheel exhaust power fc pod filter etc was quick in a straight line but through the twisties a clio would munch it. on the other hand you get toyota reliability and build quality with the celica and quite a large tuning market thanx to america and they look much better plus u dont have to be 5 foot 8 to drive it

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2005 11:35]

inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Wed, 19 January 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's a good review of the Clio V6 by Top Gear out there on the interweb...

Yes, it does depart in corners when pushed REALLY hard, does 360's... lol, however how likely are you going to be pushing the car that hard on a road?

Turning circle is a shocker, but with that glorious sounding V6 in the boot, who gives a flying feck! Evil or Very Mad
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Wed, 19 January 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad has had Peugeots nearly all his life and I have never heard him complain about build quality of french cars and I have never heard anyone else complain about the build quality of french cars until this thread.

Anyway what you should do is buy a Peugeot 306 GTi and put one of those just released GTi 180 engines in them. It would shit over lots/majority on the road.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry my bad...just asked dad about the build quality of renaults and he said they used to be notoriously bad. I'm guessing its changed now though.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 306 gti6 only few in aus is better anyway, it has 124kw only 6 kw off the new engine anyway and has a 6speed gearbox. But hear comes the problem ahem. The 306 weighs over 1200kg thus although it is great its performance is dulled by weight. The 206 gti180, weighs onlky 1100kg and the clio is a mere 1035kg, thus they are much faster.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just think 306s look better than 206s and Clios.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont intend to modify it ... so ...

style - goes to the celica
price - goes to the renault
performance - renault
handling - renault
build quality - celica

seems pretty even ... my mate has a clio, im gonna ask his opinion before jumping to conclusions
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd go the clio to be
A. Different
B. even though you don't intend to modify it you're much more likely to modify a celica aren't you?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 23:31

I'd go the clio to be
A. Different
B. even though you don't intend to modify it you're much more likely to modify a celica aren't you?

purely because i am from a rice background, i would get the celica for rice purposes cuz there are so much more ricessories ... hehe

i just got info that early 2002 clios are the worst built ... late 2002 or 2003 models are relatively safe to buy .. and so are the older 2001 models ...
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Thu, 20 January 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Les,
In my opinion yeah clios are better than celicas and the guy u know with the blue clio is very quick on the winding road. been with him a few times here and there. Get the clio and latter ones have esp which is similar to lsd. However there resale value is very low. I saw one for sale with only 6000km for 22000 dollars. Celica is quiet kool looking and i am sure does just as well against the clio. Why dont you try choosing a dc2 r they are about the same price range and would haul arse. Try looking at a type r since u said u like rice and performance and type r's look great and perform just as great as they look if not better.
All the best Les
Ill pm soon about the conversion
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i mentioned that this car is NOT going to be for rice .. it stays stock haha

type r's too old 02 model will cost heaps
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cat back on my mates clio sounds amazing, only cost about $400 i think and it makes it sound like a beast down the old road.

standard they also come with 15"x7" wheels so there is plenty of traction there. only reason you'd get rid of the standard wheels would be for looks. since the performance/handling comes stock with the car.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the mk1 had 15' and mk 2 had 16'

u are right bout handling / performance coming stock with the car though
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've been tempted on a few occassions to get rid of the 2 and go for a Clio sport. I haven't quite done it as yet but they do impress me a lot. i think they have an average looking rear end and the side profile is let down due to the wheels and wheel arch size relative to the large rear window profile.

but performance cannot be denied and their street cred is rising rapidly!

also they don't suffer from honda syndrome and have some usable torque
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a guy at my work has a Clio - pumps out an impressive amount of power. it puts my ma61 and ra40turbo to shame for brute power and drivability.

if you were looking to replace the mr2, the clio on tight then sweeping corners will probably impress greatly.

is not suited for tall persons tho - he's trying to get a different driver's seat to suit his near-7-foot height and bulk.

With airbags built into the seats, very costly aftermarket gear and his unwillingness to void his warranty (and insurance) it's proving very difficult.
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh well i'm a little guy (5 foot 6ish) so thats not an issue.

i still love the targa tops in my car though so it's hard to beat.

is the turbo megane engine similar to the clio sport engine? hmm imagine the fun that would be!!

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2005 07:16]

74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 21 January 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also remember that Toyota is ceasing production of the celica either this year if they didn't already do it last year.

Just another variable to think about.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 17:58

the mk1 had 15' and mk 2 had 16'

u are right bout handling / performance coming stock with the car though

both 15's ... sorry !
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 01:08

Also remember that Toyota is ceasing production of the celica either this year if they didn't already do it last year.

Just another variable to think about.

Toyota also seems to be going for hybrid power ass the new mr2 is rumoured to be dual petrol/eletric aswell as being wide boddied i like the the wide body bit but electric *YUCK*
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not gonna test drive the celica ... its the renault for sure ...

went in three today .. mate has one and we went to check 2 other ones out ... farkin rippas ... im sold ... now to find one i can afford ! aha
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Les, are you talking about a Renault Sport Clio - as opposed to a Renault Clio? 2 litre versus 1.8 i think.

The dude at my work as the Renault Sport which is not off being a detuned rally car versus a slightly warmed up domestic market car.

The other micro sportz car at my work is a barina STi 1.8 litre thing (basically astra gear in a barina body) - it has 50% less power than the 2 litre renault sport.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clio sport ... and why did u bring up the barina >!>!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 22 January 2005 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
only because the two tallest people in my office bought possibly the smallest sportz cars they could afford and not fit into. Laughing
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man its hard to part with so much money, I still have not found one that i like ..

Celicas are so much more expensive .. and i think the insurance for these will be much much more
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota Celica - Hair dressers car
Renault Clio - Sport car

Toyota Celica - Jap car = abundance of spare parts
Renault Clio - French car = spares comparatively not hugely expensive, but reliability isn't real fresh.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rode in a Celica a couple of years ago - felt fairly soft in the handling department, engine never stopped revving but never felt hugely impressive doing it.

EVERY multi-car test I've ever read that involves the Clio Sport ends up with the Renault on top. That's no exaggeration either. Can't tell you definatively which models are better for fit & finish though. I THINK the series 2 update is much better than series 1, couldn't guarentee it tho . . . Confused
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's true, it ended up near the top of the latest Wheels Performance car of the year

but you just can't surpass the gt3
or whatever it was
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eh?

GT3 ?

You mean teh Porsche 911 Carrera S ?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I do mean teh Carrera S
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Fri, 08 April 2005 14:01

Yes, I do mean teh Carrera S
Very Happy
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a porsche. They all look the fucking same anyway.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no the 997 is back to the old school 993 look whereas the 996 which actually has the GT3 is different, back to the topic though, i would love a clio but servicing and there reliability puts me off, that and the fact that they are so small.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm u cant really compare a porsche and renault or celica for that matter !!! Laughing
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think he means motor performance car of the year wheels does the nancy car of the year for grannies that want to drive fridges on the road.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's not wheels then, what's the magazine that does PCOTY?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i already said MOTOR magazine wheels is for grannies MOTOR is for performance, wheels does COTY Motor PCOTY
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mind you they are both produced by the same company and the wheels office is next to motor anyway, i did work experience for motor. The ex editor for motor went to wheels and would occasionally come back in for chats.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard the new celicas are slightly lighter than the corolla or weigh almost the same... i think the corolla has a reputation for being small.... well not hte new one's they are PHAT AZZ MAN
81LOWLUX
Regular

March 2005
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Fri, 08 April 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i sell renaults new Very Happy if you have questions in relation to the clio 185 sport or maybee the megane 225 sport call me at work on 07 3897 4535 Smile
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 09 April 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am surprised how well the new celica performs and handles, two mates had a race around the twisties at wisemans ferry, one was the new celica with a cat back exhaust, and the other car was a skyline r32 gtst running 10psi full exhaust, celica won, i was in the skyline and he gave it a beating, driving behind the celica on a straight you would hear the exhaust suddenly get loud, i guess its vvti then it started pulling away slowly. The celica handles like on rails, thats the only reason he won. I think a clio looks more like a hairdressers car than the celica.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Renault Clio Sport vs New Celica Sat, 09 April 2005 10:39 Go to previous message
AE86slut wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 14:10

It's a French car boys..... Some call it character..... others call it a POS. In any case, they go and handle very well, but aren't built anywhere near the same standards of Jap cars. Seriously if I bought one, I would expect things to fall off all the time.

true they are not the best built but for fwd handeling the french lead the world that is why i own a peugeot
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Toyota Pics ADELAIDE....
Next Topic:ae82 intake tubing from any other models?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 01:38:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0094108581542969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.