Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
gez'us
Newcomer

November 2002
4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Mon, 11 November 2002 07:02 Go to next message
Looking to do a GTE conversion into a AE82 as a cheap, lets se how well this thing can go type of conversion.
But first the home work.

* What veriants of the 4AGZE ( AE92 AW11, AE92 90-91, AE101 ) are compatiable with the AE82 chasie? trying to keep it simple with things like, been able to use factory or halp cut supplied drive shafts and the like. would pefer map sensor 2 airflow meter.

* will the factory computer cope with the boost delivery of the turbo? i presume the maping may not be suited to the delayed boost delivery.

* difficulty in splicing the GZE computer into the factory non fuel injection loom and the like.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  Send a private message to this user    
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Mon, 11 November 2002 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno about your first question but the dude with that green colored ke2x corolla ran a 4AGTE which was a GZE with the factory computer - seemed to have no problems.

like in another thread i'd turf your existing loom and use the loom that comes with your engine - to make it easier albeit more expensive - get yourself a front cut.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Tue, 12 November 2002 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE92 parts would probably be your best bet - but if you want to use the factory computer, you might be better off with the old school AFM on instead of MAP - you can adjust it a little bit (through the AFM spring), and being AFM it'll be more likely to work in the first place. GOod luck Evil or Very Mad
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Tue, 12 November 2002 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gez'us
Quote:

What veriants of the 4AGZE ( AE92 AW11, AE92 90-91, AE101 ) are compatiable with the AE82 chasie? trying to keep it simple with things like, been able to use factory or halp cut supplied drive shafts and the like. would pefer map sensor 2 airflow meter.

This is what I know: If the gearbox is an E58 (wich has a LSD), the engine mounts will need some serious modifications for it to fit. I also know if you use a 20v gearbox the engine will just slot in with no major hassels.

What I want to know is: Will the non-lsd GZE gearbox just slot in or does it have the same problems as the LSD model?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Tue, 12 November 2002 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got one sitting in the backyard gathering worms if you wanna come take a look... I'm guessing you probably live 900km from me though Evil or Very Mad
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Wed, 13 November 2002 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All AE82 corollas had a 4A in them standard, so the engine will fit, and the engine mounts will line up (useing AE82 mounts), so long as you are useing a C series gearbox (C52, C56 etc) as 3 of the 4 mounts are on the gearbox casing.

A half cut would be the best way, cause you get all the small things that you may need like sonsors etc. Also, you will then get the drive shafts etc and possibly a good front brake upgrade! The splines on the CV joints should match the standard AE82 hubs. (do a search on the forums, this has been mentioned before)

You will most likly need an after market computer as no 4A ever came as a turbo (well, one did, but it was a once off as far as i know)

As far as splicing the two looms together, get all the diagrams and pin outs you can, and then goto work. It will be fiddly and take a while, but will cost a fair bit to get some one else to do!

If you have a AE82 that is non efi, you will need to get an EFI fuel tank and pump (i belive the tank baffles are different between efi and non-efi) and run the relivant wires to power the intank pump. Or you can put in another fuel pump arangement, but it will be more expensive.

The most expensive bit i can think of is the custom intake and exhaust manifolds. AFAIK there is nothing off the shelf. Don't forget the cost of an intercooler of some sort!

Another area that shouldn't be left out is suspension and brakes. They will need a fair bit of upgrading to cope with the power output from a 4AGTE. The standard AE82 suspension and breaks are good round town, but any spirited driving, even with the standard 4AC shows they leave a bit to be desired. (i run GZE AE92 4 wheel disks on my AE82. simple conversion)

Craig.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Wed, 13 November 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Off the shelf intake manifold is an easy one... just use the relevant 4AGE one (big or small port, depends which engine you get)
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: 4AGTE into AE82 4A-C Body Wed, 13 November 2002 12:23 Go to previous message
Thanks for that info haggis. I would like some more information on 4A gearboxes, I have found plenty on the engines, but not a lot on the gearboxes, if you know of a good reference site that would be good. What would be the best "C series gearbox" for a 4agze, are there any with a LSD?

Sorry to hijack your thred gez'us.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What to expect to pay for a 4AGZE
Next Topic:anyone running microtech on 2tg engine ???!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 10:28:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11673092842102 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.